Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Can I damage anything by running LT's and no cats without a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can I damage anything by running LT's and no cats without a tune?

Hey fellas,
Been super busy and haven't had a chance to get online or do anything else with the car lately. As expected, after the header install, the car threw a code for the o2's. I have a basic predator performance tune on it which doesn't turn the sensors off. I'm waiting to either load a custom map on this tuner that will turn the rear o2's off or just have it dynotuned at the local shop. Can I mess anything up driving it like this? After the light was on for awhile, it threw a lean bank code on both sides as well as the two o2 sensor codes. So a total of 4 codes are showing up.

Also, in the meantime, will clearing the code with the tuner allow the car to run right? I know it takes a little time for it to register and come on as a check engine light but I would think by clearing it everytime it comes up until I get it tuned, it will allow the car to run with the proper amount of fuel instead of lean from the o2 sensor codes? Is that logical thinking? Lol
Old 11-02-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Youll likely be replacing the 02 sensors often. The car will need a tune sooner rather then later but just take it easy on her until you do.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok. Thanks bro! I've been babying her around lately anyway. Only had a couple spirited driving moments. Lol but I'll keep those to a minimum. Does turning the check engine light off with the tuner help anything or am I better just to leave it on until I tune it?
Old 11-03-2011, 12:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just leave it on its not hurting anything and doesnt change anything in the tune. If it goes into reduced power mode youll know it.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

There aint nothing like reduced power mode! It really blows *** flooring your car to get to 40mph in 15 seconds lol.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

I drove mine for a few weeks before I had it tuned and then when I did the A/F Ratio was perfect, so I guess I would have been fine to drive it without a tune. But I did pick up 2 mpg after the tune and obviously the car feels stronger than before the tune. But unless your A/F ratio is way off I doubt its really gonna hurt anything.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok. Good to hear guys! Makes me feel better! Thanks!!! And I have yet to experience reduced power mode. Lol It only worried me when I plugged my programmer in to clear the engine light and noticed it was throwing to "lean bank" codes as well. I'll be getting it tuned soon. Just been busy and spending money on other things lately. Still need to do my short throw mod and rear diff bushing too if GulfM3 is still down to do it sometime soon... If he hasn't already found another local test subject for his custom bushing.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:51 PM
TECH Veteran

And since the kooks header and catless connector install, I have since added some magnaflow magnapacks as I was running magnaflow catback with tru-x but had done a muffler delete to make the car louder when it still had cats. Essentially before the magnapacks, it was LT's, no cats, x-pipe, no resonator, no mufflers. The magnapacks I used are the 4" diameter ones that are only 14" long. The smallest magnaflow offers. Really just wanted the sound to be a little more toned and not so raw and obnoxious. The car still makes a good bit of noise but I kinda miss the obnoxiousness now. Lol tempted to have the magnapacks removed and just run the x-pipe with no cats, resonators or mufflers like it once was.

Performance wise, would there be any advantage or disadvantage to this or just the difference in sound? I mean the magnapacks are straight through so they are in no way restrictive. I just didn't expect them to settle the exhaust down quite as much as they did considering the size of them and being straight through. Kinda missing that raw idle sound and the car sounding beasty when cruising. Now to make it bark... I gotta stand on it a bit more. Lol
Old 11-03-2011, 03:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They may get a little louder with time. I can't imagine it's anything near "quiet" as it is though.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:05 PM
TECH Veteran

I wouldn't say it's quiet. Just a lot more toned and subtle. On cold start, it barks pretty good. I guess I just miss that raw idle and cruise sound of no cats and no mufflers but at WOT, it was stupid loud. I should prob quit bitchin and just leave it alone. Lol
Old 11-03-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

With the lean bank codes, it probably wouldnt be a bad idea to have a couple new front o2 sensors on hand when you take it to the dyno cause theres a good chance one has crapped out. I know since I did headers ive replaced both my front o2 sensors.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok. I'll be sure to do that. Thanks for the heads up!

Unless... Could I swap the fronts and rears around considering the rears will be disabled anyway and pretty much just plugs for the holes?
Old 11-04-2011, 01:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Ok. I'll be sure to do that. Thanks for the heads up!

Unless... Could I swap the fronts and rears around considering the rears will be disabled anyway and pretty much just plugs for the holes?
Fronts are heated, rears are not so they arent interchangeable. Just so happens fronts are more expensive too
Old 11-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Launching!

Still need to do my short throw mod and rear diff bushing too
You and ME both! I noticed a clunk in the rear a few weeks ago, only felt it every now and then...but it mustve went because I have the clunk all the time now and I was in 4th yesterday and gave it gas / off gas / gave it gas / off gas and you can literally feel and rear the diff move.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Launching!

I wouldn't say it's quiet. Just a lot more toned and subtle. On cold start, it barks pretty good. I guess I just miss that raw idle and cruise sound of no cats and no mufflers but at WOT, it was stupid loud. I should prob quit bitchin and just leave it alone. Lol
But then you wouldn't be living up to your name. LOL!
Old 11-04-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Itsslow... Damn! They couldn't have made it easy on us huh? Lol guess I'll just pick up a pair before tuning.

RRsV... Mine is the same way. I'll be doing mine ASAP. I'll prob get with GulfM3 and see if he's still down to do the shifter and bushing on my car for a case or two of coronas. Lol my diff bushing is completely shot!

Ekshail... True story man! I gotta keep the name alive! Maybe I will change it again... Lol
Old 11-05-2011, 01:40 PM

You said your v threw codes after getting your headers installed? what's involved in the tune to fix it? I understand o2 sensors being replacediscommon but I'm new to vehicles with so much technology and was wondering if anyone could enlighten me? Any help is appreciated

Quick Reply: Can I damage anything by running LT's and no cats without a tune?