Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

new brakes install w pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new brakes install w pics

hey guys I just hit 45k on the odometer and the brake pads were getting pretty low. I also started feeling a slight vibration in the rear from rotor warpage. I decided to buy all new pads and rotors for all corners. After looking around online at different reviews and products i decided on DRT rotors and stoptech street performance brake pads. I was searching for something greater than or equal to the factory brake pad/rotors. I called luke at lindsay and the parts for completely stock was around 600 so my goal was to beat that price.

links to where i purchased from:

http://www.drt-sport.com/catalog/6592

http://performance.importrp.com/stor...&make=CADILLAC

I later found a better deal the day after at this site but o well only a few dollars:

http://www.knsbrakes.com/searchResults.php?car_id=1531

I purchased the slotted only rotors from DRT. I called them to make sure they did use the centric premium rotors. Centric is also the parent company of stoptech so they are quality parts. I thought about the brake motive deal but was scared of the quality since they were so cheap but to each their own. The price at drt was chaper than other options and are good quality parts. the rotors have the powdercoated hats as you can see in the pics. this will keep them from rusting i hope. i wanted slotted to help the appearance and the possiblity of helping the break performance. I weighed the rotors before install bc i was curious and they were heavy as fudge compared to what i thought. front 25lbs rear 22.5lbs.

I found the stoptech pads while shopping around. they were way cheaper than all other pads in the same category or better. they are fairly new so i read some reviews on google and from what i gathered they were basically a pad in between hawk hps and hp+, or equal to factory ferrardo. I wanted a good street pad with no sqeeking. I thought i wanted hp+ pads but I didn't want the squealing like some have experienced. in the description of the pads it states good for light track and autocross use. I plan on attending more autox events this year and maybe a track visit. If i feel they are sub par at the track/autox ill look into race pads.

I decided to install them myself with my friend and it was fairly easy. I used the cadillac faqs installation guide to help me along but most is common knowledge.

here are some pictures:

up close of a front rotor

all four rotors in the box.

the brake tool found at local auto part stores recommended on cadillacfaqs install was useless in my opinion so nothing works better than vise grips lol. the brake tool was too small for our rotors.

the rotor installed

front

rear

after install i bedded in the brakes as recomended by stoptechs website:

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...-system-bed-in

i have put a few hundred miles on the new brake setup and I feel they are just as good as stock maybe a tad better in performance. the initial bite is equal to stock. I have only street driven these with not to many hard braking situations. no road course/autox experience with them yet. As far as brake dust I have not washed it since the new brakes to see but i will update that later.

sorry for the long write up but i researched alot and was excited about my first upgrade to my v and first upgrade performance oriented to any car. I cant wait for the next install. if you have any questions ask away.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good. I like those rotors.

I went with the brakemotive deal myself and was a little skeptical about the price too... but I read all the reviews and went for it anyway. Can't beat the price, that's for sure. I have no complaints so far. I've only had them on for a little over 1k miles. So far, so good.

Where in Atlanta do you spend most of your time? I'm mostly between N. Decatur and Inman park.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Is Rainn Wilson doing the swap for you?

keep us updated on how this setup turns out...
Old 03-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Looks good. I like those rotors.

I went with the brakemotive deal myself and was a little skeptical about the price too... but I read all the reviews and went for it anyway. Can't beat the price, that's for sure. I have no complaints so far. I've only had them on for a little over 1k miles. So far, so good.

Where in Atlanta do you spend most of your time? I'm mostly between N. Decatur and Inman park.
the price is definitely a big difference. im sure they perform good i just was skeptical.

we have talked some on another forum i believe, but i live in carrollton an hour west of atl on i20.

i plan on going to an auto x this month or next so maybe you could come to it as well so we can meet.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thebigjimsho
Is Rainn Wilson doing the swap for you?

keep us updated on how this setup turns out...
i will give an update after a few thousand miles and some good braking tests.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I hate my stoptechs. They vibrate. They suck. I hate them.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Teching In

what do you mean by they vibrate? can you elaborate more on why you hate them. how many miles do you have on them? i hope i dont hate mine.

Quick Reply: new brakes install w pics