Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

It's like I got a new car! LTs & MMs FTW!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default It's like I got a new car! LTs & MMs FTW!!

Well, what was supposed to have taken Friday evening & Saturday to complete ended up taking till 6pm today to finish. After some trouble removing the exhaust combined with trouble installing the new motor mounts, we really didn't get into a good rhythm until this morning.

So over the past couple of days we swapped in a new set of CS motor mounts (thanks Max & Kristie!), installed 1 3/4" Pacesetter LTs with offroad extensions, new plugs & wires, changed the oil, then headed to the back to install a driveshaft cause I thought & was told mine may be bad & causing all the clunking I was getting.

We got back there & much to our amazement discovered that it was not my shaft. Instead, all three bolts holding the diff were loose. It has been nearly a year since I put my CS diff bushing in and it appears they were never tight! I don't know how that could have happened but it did. So, we took the bolts out, dropped the diff down some & then installed the diff block I had left out before cause I thought that was affecting us not getting the diff back in.

After all was said and done, I am now running LTs, into the factory exhaust thru the resonator, then out muffler-deleted tails. It actually sounds great, but I am still gonna do an x-pipe and (loud-ish) mufflers. Gotta get the exhaust cut and the tips put back where I want them but other than that I love it! And after the diff tightening and new mounts, the car feels so much tighter. It actually feels like it should with a literal zero amount of clunking. I can finally drive my V like I've wanted to from the first moment behind the wheel.

Last edited by SSmokd U; 04-02-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job chief. LOL Its funny because... at least when I go to work on something on the car... there's always an issue which takes a little longer then usual. I can see I'm not the only one.

Brakes... I couldn't get one of the pins knocked out for the life of me.
Shifter... I couldn't drill out the rivets and the damn drill bit snapped in there, and I had to drill around the bit basically.

I have yet to tackle my headers which are sitting in a box in the living room... but I fear this will be the outcome as well. LOL
Old 04-02-2012, 01:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by odthetruth
Good job chief. LOL Its funny because... at least when I go to work on something on the car... there's always an issue which takes a little longer then usual. I can see I'm not the only one.

Brakes... I couldn't get one of the pins knocked out for the life of me.
Shifter... I couldn't drill out the rivets and the damn drill bit snapped in there, and I had to drill around the bit basically.

I have yet to tackle my headers which are sitting in a box in the living room... but I fear this will be the outcome as well. LOL
There is the inevitable(f**k up) in every install no matter how simple lol. Thats the conclusion I have come to.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh I forgot to mention the broken manifold bolt we found. It had been broken for some time. Thankfully there was just enough left to get two small nuts on & back it out.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a broken manifold bolt as well(passenger side nearest to the firewall), had to use vice grips to slowly back it out, took about an hour to get it out. I still have no idea how it snapped all the car's work had been done by a dealer and nothing that I know of would have involved removing the stock manifolds except maybe a transmission RR.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by garrettg
I had a broken manifold bolt as well(passenger side nearest to the firewall), had to use vice grips to slowly back it out, took about an hour to get it out. I still have no idea how it snapped all the car's work had been done by a dealer and nothing that I know of would have involved removing the stock manifolds except maybe a transmission RR.
Mine was the driver's side rear. The double nut trick worked great. Only took 3-4 min.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSmokd U
Thankfully there was just enough left to get two small nuts on & back it out.
That's what she said . . .
Old 04-02-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol ^
Old 04-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LAYGO
That's what she said . . .
My first thought as I read his post and then saw yours haha, priceless
Old 04-02-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought the same thing as I typed it lol.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

SO, let's hear the new beast! sound clips please!

-joel
Old 04-02-2012, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Haha I'm gonna try to get a couple clips tomorrow evening. Will post them tomorrow night.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Finally a vid of the old and then new setup. Its kinda crappy but you get the idea. I am going to try for a better video soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLE1li0BOgQ&hd=1