Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...
View Poll Results: Satin black or gloss black wheels on a silver V???
Satin Black
83.33%
Gloss Black
16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Satin black or gloss black for wheels on a silver V??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 02:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Satin black or gloss black for wheels on a silver V??

Well fellas,
Finally getting close to having the new bumper and EC cowl hood on the car. I have all my LED's and HID's in now and things are coming along nicely. All the tail lights (except reverse lights) have now been smoked, grills have been painted gloss black, the amber side markers and amber portion of the fogs have been smoked and i had the surrounding of the headlights painted gloss black to get rid of that dull grey outline. Now i'm down to the wheels. I bought "big regs" true forged staggered 3-piece 20's but now that i've spent more than expected on the other things for the car and i'm still not satisfied yet, I figured i'd post them for sale so i can get my money back out of them rather than mess with taking them apart, coating them, etc and investing even more in the already expensive *** wheels and just find some CCW's or something later. Upon posting them, I've had a lot of interest and they are pending sale for Monday if this local guy comes through. I'll just stay on stock wheels for now and have them powdercoated black since they still look great, don't weigh much and fit the car really well. May even have the rears widened and keep them permanently since there aren't too many wheels made for the V that i prefer over the stockers especially for the money. I also want to be able to slam the car nice and low without any clearance issues which was the other deciding factor for me. Sure i could get away with a 25 series tire on the 20's like tony tone's ride but with the power im putting down and the 4.10 in the rear, i need the factory diameter tire to keep the gearing where i need it.

Questions is...

Gloss black or Satin black???

On my black car, i did satin black because it needed that contrast difference from the gloss paint. On this silver one, im wondering if gloss might be better since the smoked lights are all glossy black and grills are gloss black or if satin is still the way to go?

Flat black is too flat (primer like) for my taste. I like a little gloss to black wheels. Just dont know if satin or full gloss would fit the car better but I'm leaning toward satin black.

What do yall think???

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 06-09-2012 at 03:20 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Plastidip, that way you can remove it
Old 06-09-2012, 03:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Thats an idea but I'm pretty set on powdercoating. I want a nice quality finish and from what i've seen, plastidip would come out looking more flat than i'd like.

I have a powdercoating connection that charges me $50 a wheel that does good work and warranties it as well so powdercoat cost isn't an issue since my guy does it pretty cheap.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 06-09-2012, 06:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was told by two shops that gloss black shows scratches more than satin. Even my glossy coating shows some. I use the glossy clear to bring out the pearl out better, but thats a non-issue with a solid color. Just something to consider.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i'd plastidip them, run it for a few weeks, think about how much you like the flat/satin, then if you like it, get them done flat, if you don't get them done gloss.

he's gotta media blast the wheels before he coats them anyway.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Veteran

I was also told gloss tends to show scratching. Satin still shines but is a lot more durable they say when it comes to holding up to scratching and stuff which was another reason I was leaning that direction. I think both look good in different ways.

I'm tempted to get some forgestar wheels but I'd really like to see some pics of them on lowered V's first and also find out if trailing arms are going to need to be replaced and so on. I'd hate to order them, spend the money on tires and then need to change trailing arms and stuff to make them fit.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

I'd go with the satin too. Gloss is a bit too much on most cars.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah... I'm thinking satin. Think I'm gonna have the rears widened to 10", order trailing arms and 5mm spacers and then coat them. Should look great and fit a 295/35 on there nicely without any issues.

Quick Reply: Satin black or gloss black for wheels on a silver V??