Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

shock options for better ride around town

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default shock options for better ride around town

I have 90k on my 07 V1 and the stock FE4 shocks/springs and it feels like they are at the end of their life(aka no longer wife approved) but they are not leaking. I do the bounce test and the spring is still slightly moving the car a bit after 1.5 cycles. I am looking at the shock options, replace stock FE4, upgrade to FG2, either with or without ground control or hr springs, KW V3 system, custom penske's, lg motorsports coilover package.

Does the KW v3 system handle low speed bumps as good or better than the stock shocks? I would really like to get this system as its adjustable and I do a few track days a year; but want some confirmation it will not make the every day situation worse. I would run this system around min height drop or closest to stock ride height.

Another option would be to move up to the V2 as it has MRC but I would rather get the V1 sorted if I could. Is the V2 slightly or far superior for every day comfort over bumps and road imperfections. I haven't test drove a V2 yet the mpg is tough to get grips with.

For reference our Acura TSX soaks up bumps much more efficiently and doesn't get re-directed every time it hits a bump like the V1 does.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're looking for ride comfort, FE4 shock replacements would be the best bet. Anything reducing travel is going to compromise the ride quality (I don't care how many people claim their coil-overs ride "better than stock.").
Old 04-18-2012, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
If you're looking for ride comfort, FE4 shock replacements would be the best bet. Anything reducing travel is going to compromise the ride quality (I don't care how many people claim their coil-overs ride "better than stock.").
This...

I have FE4s and H&Rs, and the ride is not as nice when it was completely stock. It by no mean back breaking or uncomfortable to me...but some people that have been in my car are "surprised" at how "un-Cadillac" it feels. It does not help that the roads here in Abilene are ******* terrible.

Plus, being lower proves to be a PITA trying to find a driveway I can use, or a speed bump that my mid pipes won't hit.

Quick Reply: shock options for better ride around town