Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

No More Boost :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:00 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default No More Boost :(

Well, I pulled the Maggie and went back to stock over the last two days, and I have to say it feels like a completely different car. A few of the main differences...

- First gear is once again usable, I can stomp on it in first and it goes instead of making tire smoke.
- The exhaust is a LOT QUIETER without the Maggie...although its the whine that I miss the most
- Cruising on the highway between 1500-2500 feels like I am driving my Cavalier now
- Passing is no fun anymore since I cannot accelerate from 50 to 80 in one car length
- The idle is a lot rougher for some reason...I raised the idle speed to no avail. Going to have to find a solution to this one...
- When someone asks me "is that the supercharged one?" I can't smile and say "well, sort of"

I have to say, i'm not going to be able to keep it like this for long...I'll lose my mind. I hope to have a solid plan together soon, hopefully with twin turbo's providing boost. I can say that I will go with a 2 bar OS rather than try to make the 1 BAR MAF system work...which I think I should have done with the Maggie quite honestly. I also have to figure out a fuel system using a boost referenced FPR...I have a few idea's, but nothing definite yet. I'll finish figuring this out over the next two months and hopefully start getting this thing together in August.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck on your new build. Sorry for your current loss... (of HP!!) lol
Old 05-10-2012, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why not use the money for the big build and just buy a V2?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

^^^ this!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 11:43 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Why not use the money for the big build and just buy a V2?
Well...its paid off for one...hard to go back to a note with a V2. Plus, I would spend at least another $5k in mods with a V2 anyhow. Most importantly, I am damn near invisible with this car...a VA State Trooper clocked me going at least 104 MPH on 95 N and pulled over a silver Toyota Camry...had something like that happen 3 times now. There is no hiding a V2...everyone knows what it is.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DMM
Most importantly, I am damn near invisible with this car...a VA State Trooper clocked me going at least 104 MPH on 95 N and pulled over a silver Toyota Camry...had something like that happen 3 times now. There is no hiding a V2...everyone knows what it is.

That's funny. I've done the same thing in my car a few times. The day I bought it in NC, I drove it back to IN. On the way through VA (not allowed to have radar detectors) I'm flying around some corner in the mountains going 90 mph and my radar detector goes ape ****. Then a Cherokee cop flies out of the trees like a ****** david copperfield magic show, and turns his lights on.

So I'm shitting my pants trying to pull the radar detector down, fumbling for the Bill of Sale since it's not even registered yet and thinking about how I'm going to have a shoot out with Officer Cletus and it'll turn into the movie Deliverance or some ****. Somehow he proceeds to pull over the little VW Rabbit that I had passed right in front of him. I know that VW guy was like "are you fn kidding me!?"

V1 FTMFW!!
Old 05-11-2012, 07:39 AM
On The Tree

TVS with cogs is what you need
Old 05-11-2012, 08:35 AM
TECH Regular

It sounds like your lack of boost will only be for a short time.

Originally Posted by lollygagger8
V1 FTMFW!!
You think a V1 can hide....my soccer mom wagon hides with the thousands of Subaru wagons on the road.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My infrared CTS-V can't hide. I've been picked out of a chain of black and silver GTIs and WRXes. There really is something to be said about certain colors being "cop magnets," so to speak.

On the positive side, I usually get to have a technical chat about the design of the car and the modifications done to it that often ends in a "well, be careful out there--nice meeting you!" thing.

Can't wait to add the TVS1900. Goal is a conservative 600 RWHP.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 05-11-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have the same color car as you Fuzzy but the police don't even look in my direction...
I have learned that here in Maryland the police go after imports way before American muscle. Never got a ticket in the STi unless i was doin something really stupid...lol
Old 05-11-2012, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NOLAG05
I have the same color car as you Fuzzy but the police don't even look in my direction...
I have learned that here in Maryland the police go after imports way before American muscle. Never got a ticket in the STi unless i was doin something really stupid...lol
Do you run with your headlights off or on? Are you lowered? Stock exhaust?
Old 05-11-2012, 09:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

I leave the lights in the auto position, yes i'm lowered, and straight pipe exhaust with an X pipe and magnaflow mufflers with the stock tips welded back on... low and deep growl! got a set of headers 1 7/8's going on shortly...

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Do you run with your headlights off or on? Are you lowered? Stock exhaust?
Old 05-11-2012, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've only been stopped once in the V so far. Was after midnight on the turnpike and I had the cruise set about 15 over. One car coming the opposite direction. Soon as my headlights hit him I saw the reflective state trooper logo light up. Gave me a warning and said slow down a little.

Normally though I don't get a second look.

I can't decide if I want to try to pick up a used maggie or just sell the thing. I like the car... it just feels like something is missing.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

I got a ticket in the V when i forst got her because i have no front plate... well i have it, but i'm not drilling an holes in the front bumper for it. F da police!
Old 05-11-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Op- nice to see your sticking with the V1.. looking forward to your next project.. Imo..the V2 has killer front end styling but the *** end is huge and not in a good way..

as far as cops.. i
i think its a color thing.. silver just blends in to 50% of the other cars on the road..
Old 05-11-2012, 12:00 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lollygagger8
That's funny. I've done the same thing in my car a few times. The day I bought it in NC, I drove it back to IN. On the way through VA (not allowed to have radar detectors) I'm flying around some corner in the mountains going 90 mph and my radar detector goes ape ****. Then a Cherokee cop flies out of the trees like a ****** david copperfield magic show, and turns his lights on.

So I'm shitting my pants trying to pull the radar detector down, fumbling for the Bill of Sale since it's not even registered yet and thinking about how I'm going to have a shoot out with Officer Cletus and it'll turn into the movie Deliverance or some ****. Somehow he proceeds to pull over the little VW Rabbit that I had passed right in front of him. I know that VW guy was like "are you fn kidding me!?"

V1 FTMFW!!
Now that's just funny. Kudos to you for legitimately referencing the movie "Deliverance" in a thread, LOL!
Old 05-11-2012, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey D, here is my Deliverance... Wouldn't mind makin her squeal like a pig...lol

Last edited by NOLAG05; 05-11-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BDHWK
You think a V1 can hide....my soccer mom wagon hides with the thousands of Subaru wagons on the road.
Lolz....subies are easily overlooked

Originally Posted by shadyLS6
as far as cops.. i
i think its a color thing.. silver just blends in to 50% of the other cars on the road..
Totally agree about the silver

Originally Posted by DMM
Now that's just funny. Kudos to you for legitimately referencing the movie "Deliverance" in a thread, LOL!
Lolz....I even heard the banjo riff in my head.....yikes!
Old 05-12-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had to pull mine off and send it back to Magnuson for some bearing work. I too slapped the stock crap back on and drove it around with a sad face. It is crazy how accustomed to the power you get. I can remember riding in my buddies stock V when I had a 350z. His was fast as hell! haha

Can't wait to see what you decide with your next steps. BTW I run a 2 bar SD tune and rock HP Tuners. If you ever need to bounce an idea off someone I'm available.

A quick tip that is way off in the future for you: Log your 1 bar MAP with key on engine off BEFORE you swap to the 2 bar MAP. This data will allow you to adjust the voltage offsets on the 2 bar to more closely match that off you stock 1 bar. Again I know that is way off but maybe you'll remember.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:44 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CancerJCC
I had to pull mine off and send it back to Magnuson for some bearing work. I too slapped the stock crap back on and drove it around with a sad face. It is crazy how accustomed to the power you get. I can remember riding in my buddies stock V when I had a 350z. His was fast as hell! haha

Can't wait to see what you decide with your next steps. BTW I run a 2 bar SD tune and rock HP Tuners. If you ever need to bounce an idea off someone I'm available.

A quick tip that is way off in the future for you: Log your 1 bar MAP with key on engine off BEFORE you swap to the 2 bar MAP. This data will allow you to adjust the voltage offsets on the 2 bar to more closely match that off you stock 1 bar. Again I know that is way off but maybe you'll remember.
Thanks man, I will most definitely take you up on that offer...I know you have been tuning your own stuff for a while now and you haven't blown your own stuff up yet, so you know what you're doing, LOL. Seriously though, if you don't mind I may ask to see your tune as a baseline to populate the additional tables in the 2 BAR OS if you don't mind. Not going to be exact, but since we are both stock cubes it would really help to put me on the right track.

NOLA....props for the Kate Upton post....girl can't dance for **** but man is she hot.

Quick Reply: No More Boost :(