Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Swapping a LSx into a CTS with a v6; has it been done?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i still fail to see what the issue is here? this isnt a hard swap since it already fits into this chassis. I can see if he said he wanted to toss a viper motor in here or something, which to my knowledge hasnt been done.

People toss Gm motors into everything. heck Gm did with our chassis to build our vehicle.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This:

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/cto/3162877117.html

Cheap, running, and you can drive it home lol

-meaty
Old 08-27-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just don't put V badges on it.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The engine cradle is different between the base CTS and the V.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

and both cradles bolt into a CTS....
Old 08-29-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Junkie

but are the cradles readily available and cheap? Would you have to source one from an actual V? where are you going to find a donor V with an engine cradle that's in good shape? Most totalled V's are in the front. If the stars align, you'll end up buying two cars for the swap. Why not just buy one that's already built for the same price and none of the effort?
Old 08-29-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Swapping a LSx into a CTS with a v6; has it been done?

^Ya GM did it from the factory. It's called a V.^

I can't believe I read 3 pages of garbage.

Oh I know. Since the OP wants to make it hard on himself......

Turbo the existing V6 in the base CTS, then fab the LSx into the rear of the car with the trans. Have both at the same time. Like that Tiberon back in the day with two engines/trannys. That thing did the best burnouts ever.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Now that's cool as ****. Maybe someone could do that with an LS4 monte or an impala
Old 08-29-2012, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BudRacing
but are the cradles readily available and cheap? Would you have to source one from an actual V? where are you going to find a donor V with an engine cradle that's in good shape? Most totalled V's are in the front. If the stars align, you'll end up buying two cars for the swap. Why not just buy one that's already built for the same price and none of the effort?
There were 8 on car-part.com for 500 bucks or so.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Now that's cool as ****. Maybe someone could do that with an LS4 monte or an impala
That'd be badass!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see a problem with it at all. I've actually been wanting to do this since I bought my V. Id like to build a drag radial first gen CTS but I don't have the heart to gut a V. For putting all of the work in to build a full drag radial car your going to have to pretty much start from scratch. Why not start with the absolute base? Most race cars are one off customs anyway. I mean you have to build a cage, most of the time custom motor and trans mounts, custom wiring and an endless list of other things depending if your going N/A, boost or spray. I don't think it's a bad idea at all IF your going the full racecar route. Conversion to a V? That's borderline sac religious.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

I'm surprised to see this thread lived as long as it did.

The only reason for asking this question was to see whether or not it was feasible, and it looks like that's a very expensive "maybe." I apologize if it ended up getting anybody at each other's throats (keyboards?).

I am actually looking at purchasing a CTS-V today from a private party locally. I have dropped it off at a local GM dealer to have it checked out for any issues I might not have been able to see or feel myself. Barring any real issues I should be a CTS-V owner by this evening.

See, sometimes people on the Internet do take advice on forums seriously.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:36 AM
Teching In

To revive this thread... or rather to answer the question from a unique perspective since this thread comes up on Google when you search "v6 cts ls swap" which many people have and will do...

I own a base cts with an LS2 swap. I did not do the swap, but I'm performing cleanup on it.

From my perspective, for the amount of money and time it would take to recreate a V from a base model it's more or less worth it to grab a V. I'd only recommend it if you got some crazy good deals on some stuff and/or had an LS drivetrain just lying around somewhere and you had no idea what to do with yourself.

Or, alternatively, like me, happen to be the guy who buys it used after it was already assembled for a crazy good price that justifies it. Otherwise, totally not worth it.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by fesoferbex; 09-26-2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:05 AM
Launching!

I concur.... Sounds like waaaaaay too much work and $$$ just to get the car up to standard configuration of a V. Save your time and money and find a V for cheap and if you so choose...... Gut it, part out what you can, and put whatever motor you want in it
Old 09-26-2014, 08:22 PM
TECH Regular

I would not build a V to spec per se...but if you could score the cradle or mod a base...use a truck motor with an auto or spring for a t56 magnum xl (avoid the bullshit shifter) go straight for an 8.8 swap....could make a good ride....
Personally, If I had all the time to do that, I'd use a different chassis than the cts (Lexus GS, BMW 5-series,etc)
Old 09-27-2014, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hefftone
Personally, If I had all the time to do that, I'd use a different chassis than the cts (Lexus GS, BMW 5-series,etc)
exactly....
Old 01-24-2015, 03:02 PM

I kind of disagree because if you get lucky and have a sport lux package it just about has as good of suspension parts as a V you can get upgraded brakes for 3.6. The primary issue with the 3.6 is wimpy sway bars, trashy tie rods, lack of strut tower brace in 2003-2005 i had to modify my hood a little bit, o and some bad suspension bushings honestly. My front shock absorber bushings are **** from how stiff my suspension is. By the way get hotchkis 2279 kit its slighty smaller than cts vs hotchkis 2280. But both hotchkis kits have exact same bushings and brackets and are both still bigger than the stock V's. Sway bars take away quite a bit of that front end clunk that you get with the front end of fe3 and fe4 suspensions one the cts. I mean ive got like 8-8.5grand in parts in this cts so if my tranny or engine blow i may just look for a pullout i saw a full ls6 manual cts v pullout with like everything for 6 grand. Which may have to happen if i blow it up trying to beat a stock ls6 with an ly7 if i blow the ly7 i guess its ls6 or ls2 time lol.

Also on a side note subframes are readily available i bent mine and had to get a new one put on cause it was knocking on part of my steering shaft
Old 02-28-2017, 04:13 AM

Default Dang!!!!!!!!

i guess i joind too late..... i just put a new damn clutch in a 2003 CTS 6cyl caddy from my pops (Passed away 10/16) he kept it clean.... but the mechanic has just informed me that the timing tention broke and i need a new engine. cadillac does not make it anymore and the parts guy told me to RUN from this car since it is a timing belt. a used motor with the same 170k miles is $1500.00! and a gmc pickup and yukon is $800 all day here in New York.

i noticed you guys mentioned crossmember,wire harness tranny fluid, etc.
ok cool it is not worth it for performance. i have family in Cuba, i have seen a car run with a sewing machine motor and a washing machine motor. i have a relative trying to develop a pully system so he can power a 1962 fiat with 2 moped motors.
according to GM i have a rare -one off tranny asin 5sp. what other motor on this planet can i use to mount up to this tranny? 4cyl? 3cyl? never mind the instrument cluster i can go carberator.

thank you in advance
Old 02-28-2017, 07:36 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolCliff
i guess i joind too late..... i just put a new damn clutch in a 2003 CTS 6cyl caddy from my pops (Passed away 10/16) he kept it clean.... but the mechanic has just informed me that the timing tention broke and i need a new engine. cadillac does not make it anymore and the parts guy told me to RUN from this car since it is a timing belt. a used motor with the same 170k miles is $1500.00! and a gmc pickup and yukon is $800 all day here in New York.

i noticed you guys mentioned crossmember,wire harness tranny fluid, etc.
ok cool it is not worth it for performance. i have family in Cuba, i have seen a car run with a sewing machine motor and a washing machine motor. i have a relative trying to develop a pully system so he can power a 1962 fiat with 2 moped motors.
according to GM i have a rare -one off tranny asin 5sp. what other motor on this planet can i use to mount up to this tranny? 4cyl? 3cyl? never mind the instrument cluster i can go carberator.

thank you in advance
You want the simplest way, buy a ctsv drivetrain and ecu and wire it all in. 2004-2007 are your target market.

Its a lot of work, and take it from me you may get frustrated, bit it all should line up easily
Old 02-28-2017, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

I thought the answer was quite clear above(and 4 years ago); sell the Caddy(ies), buy two Tiburons==Burnout success.

Quick Reply: Swapping a LSx into a CTS with a v6; has it been done?