Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What's the best price anyone has found on a set of new K-Sport coilovers??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 02:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's the best price anyone has found on a set of new K-Sport coilovers??

Hey fellas,
Kicking around the idea of going with a nice set of coilovers instead of the GC kit I was going to get and it seems K-Sports are said to be the best bang for the buck. Looking for some info on them. First and foremost... I'd like to know where I can get them for the best price?? I've seen k-sport coilover kits new for $1100. Appears they have an option with orange struts and an option with grey/orange for that price. Unsure of the difference.

I'd also like to know what spring rate is suggested front/rear for an aggressive street setup? I don't ever track the car and I have no intentions on tracking it at this time. I just want something that will handle well and be nice and tight for spirited driving when I'm taking corners hard on the street.

Initially I wasn't planning to run a full coilover setup but my thinking is this... I have a good set of rather low mile used FG2's i was going to install on the car when I ordered the GC kit. I have a set of brand new in the box H&R springs I was planning to run before I decided I wanted something adjustable along with a brand new MM kit. If I sell the H&R's, used fg2's and the MM kit, I won't be coming out of pocket very much for the K-sports over that at $1100 so im thinking its better I go that route.

So lmk fellas. Thanks!!

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 05-29-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Also... It looks like there are a lot more choices for k-sports than i initially thought. After some searching, I see a lot of people are running the variant 3's but those are double the price being $2200 a set. A little more than I was looking to spend considering I just want the adjustability and it would be nice to not need a spacer in the rear.

I'm a noob when it comes to coilovers so someone feel free to school me. What is the best coilover for the V for the money?? Like I said, I really just want something that will give me fully adjustable height and if I can have a nicer setup than the GC setup without having to pay an arm and a leg more, I'll do it. If I can't get a quality complete coilover kit without spending $2k, I'll just stick with the GC plan since it will give me the adjustability I want at a much lower price... $500.

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 05-29-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had both the KW V3 and the D2 coilovers on my car. The D2 (which i currently have) and the K Sport are made by the same company and as far as I can tell are exactly the same but for color. I paid less than $1000 on ebay.
The KW are a much better built qualty with much more adjustabilty (3 way Vs 2 way) all around heaver duty shock. I didn't like the spring setup on the front (it's just not needed with the helper spring bs) and they would not go low enough for me at the time. Plus the cost. I did not plan on tracking my car. Just wanted it slammed like tony tone. No way with KW.
So I sold them and installed D2. (KSport) Since you can adjust the shock body seperate from the spring preload you can go low low low till the control arms hit the body. I had my car slammed till I tore all the inner fenders out. But it looked bad ***. Not so good a shock if you track your car. One adjustment valve that does compression and rebound both. Whatever it is not as adjustable as KW. Also much smaller pistion, shaft and mounting. Springs on the D2 are tiny wire and fronts are only 8 inch tall. Crap steel. Ok for street maybe but not track. I replaced mine with hypercoil 10 inch in the front. I need to do the back too i think.
So thats all i have. Hope this helped.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Also... It looks like there are a lot more choices for k-sports than i initially thought. After some searching, I see a lot of people are running the variant 3's but those are double the price being $2200 a set. A little more than I was looking to spend considering I just want the adjustability and it would be nice to not need a spacer in the rear.

I'm a noob when it comes to coilovers so someone feel free to school me. What is the best coilover for the V for the money?? Like I said, I really just want something that will give me fully adjustable height and if I can have a nicer setup than the GC setup without having to pay an arm and a leg more, I'll do it. If I can't get a quality complete coilover kit without spending $2k, I'll just stick with the GC plan since it will give me the adjustability I want at a much lower price... $500.
KW V3s and KSport are two entirely different shocks. With KWs you can adjust compression and rebound independently offering 2 way adjustment per strut. KSports I believe are like the old QA1s with a single adjustment.

The two are not comparable and not in the same price range. Personally having done a few shocks I would stick with the fg2s. I don't think the KSports will give you any improvements over the FG2s and having an adjustment **** really won't help you if the shock is not valved or setup for our cars, and run like crap.

KW V3s of course are very fine shocks and a good upgrade from FG2s.

Disclaimer: I've not run KSports per se but this is feedback from a friend who has them on his V. I've run plenty of other shocks though. Just be careful, plenty of opportunities to ruin the ride of your car if you tinker too much
Old 05-29-2012, 07:39 AM
TECH Veteran

I appreciate the response! So the KW Variant 3's althought a better quality coilover will not allow u to slam the car? I want to be able to go from tony tones stance to maybe a little higher than H&R if needed so those won't work for me anyway. I love the slammed look... Hence why I'd be doing this to begin with.

So... The K-sports and D2's are pretty much the same but the quality of the D2's isn't too great? That's what I'm gathering from what u said. I'm thinking k-sports will be just fine if that's what tony tone is running with no issues. I'm not tracking the car... I just want it to ride nice and have some adjustability. Just an aggressive street setup will work for me.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

kw3's can be had delivered for under 2k. I installed a set few weeks ago and they are a great upgrade to the fe4's. The rear drivers side is probably going to be limiting factor in slamming the car as that corner seems to have the least weight on it and just doesn't want to drop for me unless you want to keep the raked stance then the fronts should go as low as you dare. I am trying to run this system as high as it allows with each corner being the same height.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

If your never going to track your car, dont bother with the v3. Its got a whole lot of features that you will never need to use on the street. Depending on your budget, to get your stance I would probably try the gc route first and see how you like it considering you already have everything. Id rather do things once, but we're talking hundreds of dollars here not just a few bucks.

in my opinion, a k3 type suspensionon a 100% street car is a waste of money especially if your trying to acheive a lower stance.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah... That's what I was thinking. I wouldn't even know how to use all of the adjustments for rebound and dampening or whatever other things u can adjust with a full blown coilover setup. I'm looking for something that will simply allow me to slam the car as low as I want and the only track this car will see is the 1/4 mile strip. The GC kit might just be enough for me then. Only reason why I was looking at the K-Sports is for the added adjustability in height and I liked the idea of not needed the MM spacers in the rear along with the shock and everything being brand new. I could justify $1100 on a set of K-Sports considering I'd get majority of the money from the stuff I already have sitting in my garage so I wouldn't have to come outta pocket much more to buy them. The D2's on eBay look pretty nice from the pics. But... Id rather just run FG2's and the GC kit than get a junk set of coilovers.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's only money.

Just finishing with the KW install and forget whatever the naysayers come up with.

A **** setup, and better if you go with a spherical bearing for the rear strut.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

The KSport and D2 are the same products. Made by the same company with the same parts just color changed. They are adjustable (one **** on top) for comp and rebound as well as spring pre load and ride hight. They are a good product just I didn't like the springs for track use.
On another note, if you use the ground control why do you have to use the mm spacers? Why not just buy a cheap replacement rear shock (kyb or koni) and that way you won't need those lame *** spacers. I have never understood why anyone would waste money on mm bullshit.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Well the only reason I'd run the spacers over a base CTS shock or a basic aftermarket shock is to keep the whole FG2 setup. I'm stuck between the GC kit or just buying the K-sport or D2 coilovers.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

Are the rears fg2s? I thought they were those novmat leveling shocks.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Fg2's front and rear but they do level out.

Quick Reply: What's the best price anyone has found on a set of new K-Sport coilovers??