Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

best rear end fix for gen 1 v's???

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 06:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Comparing it to my diff girdle, your design is perfect as far as exhaust clearance. Its actually a little better. I build custom exhaust so so even if it didnt clear, i would modify my Corsa
Originally Posted by 1BADCTS
Of course!

Let me get it on my car to validate exhaust clearance... or I'm working with another local guy who may bring his car by and we'll put one on his. I'll let you know!

Back to the topic of the thread, for an 'all out' drag setup I would do a 9" or the CS 8.8. I have several CS products on my car and they meet all of my expectations!

For a budget build, buy a 4th gen diff cheap ($300) from an SRX or several other cars (just be sure to match the 3.73 gear ratio), swap out your posi carrier (5 minute job) and never look back. You can do reinforcment like the CS bushings, poly diff block, or a girdle and you're probably OK for a good long while!

-Mark
Old 07-05-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by itsslow98
There is no cheap reliable rear and I doubt there will ever be. Honestly even with an 8.8 or 9" i wouldnt have high hopes that even that would take the abuse of serious HP if anyone besides very few ever went north of 600rwhp.
Has any v1 owner with either the CS 8.8 or 9" Gforce broke parts?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

9" here with 112. Nothing broken and seriously doubt anything will. Only issue so far has been with the housing vent. It was puking fluid out on the freeway. Once that was sorted out I will never think about my diff again, aside from fluid changes here and there. The price tag on the G-Force rear is well worth the peace of mind.

I don't know if i can speak for the rest of you, but when i bought my car, I did research and knew that these cars had weak rears. Its no secret by any means. The CS kit was not here, and G-Force had just finished up their solution so i factored that into my budget. Granted i didn't expect to need a new rear as soon as i did.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

For a budget build, buy a 4th gen diff cheap ($300) from an SRX or several other cars (just be sure to match the 3.73 gear ratio), swap out your posi carrier (5 minute job) and never look back. You can do reinforcment like the CS bushings, poly diff block, or a girdle and you're probably OK for a good long while!

-Mark
i don't think this will work. Didn't the 3:73 only come in the V? Also, the input flange on the V is for a CV on the others (cts base, SRX, STS) accepts a rubber donut 3 bolt. Has anyone done this ?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by COLEVETTE
9" here with 112. Nothing broken and seriously doubt anything will. Only issue so far has been with the housing vent. It was puking fluid out on the freeway. Once that was sorted out I will never think about my diff again, aside from fluid changes here and there. The price tag on the G-Force rear is well worth the peace of mind.

I don't know if i can speak for the rest of you, but when i bought my car, I did research and knew that these cars had weak rears. Its no secret by any means. The CS kit was not here, and G-Force had just finished up their solution so i factored that into my budget. Granted i didn't expect to need a new rear as soon as i did.
Thanks for the input.
I do notice there is a 2400 dollar difference between the CS and GForce, CS being a nice set of heads less. And the only difference is an addition of Billet hubs w/ GForce?
Old 07-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

One more piece of info to add- Spend the extra coin and get a nice limited slip i.e. the wavetrac or s-trac. Once i get out of this sand box, my trutrac will be coming out, and ill be potentially switching to 3.50 gears(currently 3.70. Still on the fence about if the slight change will be worth the extra $$
Old 07-06-2012, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

One more piece of info to add- Spend the extra coin and get a nice limited slip i.e. the wavetrac or s-trac. Once i get out of this sand box, my trutrac will be coming out, and ill be potentially switching to 3.50 gears(currently 3.70. Still on the fence about if the slight change will be worth the extra $$
How much power did the 112 push you to? I can imagine 3.50 gears turning your car into a slouch
Old 07-06-2012, 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by furbe
i don't think this will work. Didn't the 3:73 only come in the V? Also, the input flange on the V is for a CV on the others (cts base, SRX, STS) accepts a rubber donut 3 bolt. Has anyone done this ?
There was a thread on it a while back. I seem to remember maybe you're right that he had to swap the driveshaft connection flange, but indicated the whole process was really straightforward. But 3.73's are offered on some trims of other models.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
How much power did the 112 push you to? I can imagine 3.50 gears turning your car into a slouch
Its not that im making crazy power. most likely ~400, its that 1st gear is already really tall and the maggie adds tons of extra grunt down low. I need to calculate this differently because i just ordered some 19" ccw's but the change should be good for a couple hundred rpm drop at 60 in 6th. Unless im on a hill, I always start in 2nd.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

Its not that im making crazy power. most likely ~400, its that 1st gear is already really tall and the maggie adds tons of extra grunt down low. I need to calculate this differently because i just ordered some 19" ccw's but the change should be good for a couple hundred rpm drop at 60 in 6th. Unless im on a hill, I always start in 2nd.
I'm sorry, but 3.50 gears is a bigger step towards the wrong direction, unless you are only concerned about highway mileage.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
I'm sorry, but 3.50 gears is a bigger step towards the wrong direction, unless you are only concerned about highway mileage.

How do you figure?
Old 07-09-2012, 07:52 AM
On The Tree

Didn't make much sense to me? You say first gear is already really tall but you want to run a 3.50 gear instead of a 3.70?
Old 07-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

I should have said "steep" i guess
Old 07-09-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO, first gear is too low for daily use. Is it great for launching? Sure, but our rears are the limiting factor anyway. Going with a slightly taller gear probably won't make us any slower off the line since we have to baby it anyway. It will definitely benefit us in making 1st gear more user friendly around town and getting us some slightly better fuel mileage when cruising at highway speeds. If I had the option of going from 3.73 to 3.42 on the table, I'd probably go for it. I'm not much of a drag racer anyway... and especially not in this car.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

Agreed. Best part about my G-force 9" is that i can have multiple setups and its as easy as pulling the axles and center section out and slapping in a new/different one.

Going from a 3.70 rear gear to a 3.50 is not a huge jump. It is in fact such a minor one that it may not be worth the money or trouble. As BudRacing said, making 1st more usable and lower highway rpm's are something these cars can benefit from. The fact that i have a PD blower only backs that logic up due to the instant down low torque it produces. Even with a decent tire in the rear (275 Nitto NT-555r), I can lite them up at any time in 1st or 2nd gear. The same is true for for basic bolt-on cars.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Of course!

Let me get it on my car to validate exhaust clearance... or I'm working with another local guy who may bring his car by and we'll put one on his. I'll let you know!

Back to the topic of the thread, for an 'all out' drag setup I would do a 9" or the CS 8.8. I have several CS products on my car and they meet all of my expectations!

-Mark
So a 09 SRX is the same as the 4th gen CTS-V diff, with the exception of the DS flange? Could I just install my LSD unit with the 3.73 ring and pinion into one of these units and have it installed in my V for a fraction of the cost of a 4th gen unit for my V?
Old 07-22-2015, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Here is the thread from one of the guys that did it:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...lacements.html
Old 07-23-2015, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is the thread from one of the guys that did it:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...lacements.html
Unfortunately, what's needed is a how-to writeup, and this isn't it.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

Well if/when mine blows I have an SRX case in the garage waiting. We can do one then.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Been checking the local salvage yards today for an SRX diff with no luck.

Quick Reply: best rear end fix for gen 1 v's???