Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Rear Clunk

Old 07-17-2012, 04:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Rear Clunk

I think something (either a bushing or a shock) may be going on the passenger rear side of the car. When I hit bumps on that side, I get a "thunk" or "whack" sound instead of a dull thump. Any idea what that might be? I've looked everywhere for loose fittings--everything is bolted down tight.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See if one corner is sitting higher than the other if so shocks.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dmax/04V
See if one corner is sitting higher than the other if so shocks.
Would it be a small amount? Because the questionable side does sit a fraction of an inch lower.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the questionable side shock oily?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Is the questionable side shock oily?
No, but this issue has been occurring for months.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

passenger rear always sits lower.

what shocks are you running?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Cadzilla
passenger rear always sits lower.

what shocks are you running?
FG2s. I have the Ground Control bushings set to the exact same height, measured with a caliper.

I was thinking about picking up a set of K-Sport coilovers to replace the stock FG2s. Any thoughts? I'm unwilling to spend $2,400 on a set of KW Variant 3's. If the K-Sports are an upgrade over the FG2s, it'd be nice to know. I think their springs aren't as stiff as mine, but they have spherical upper mounts.

Edit: Scratch that--I don't think they have spherical upper mounts. Damn.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 07-18-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Would it be a small amount? Because the questionable side does sit a fraction of an inch lower.
If it's negligible I wouldn't pin that as your problem, I just mentioned this because I saw my drivers side rear sists an inch lower than my ps rear. find a bumpy road and drive over some bumps with one rear wheel, and keep the other wheel on flat ground and compare the results after doing so with both sides.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dmax/04V
If it's negligible I wouldn't pin that as your problem, I just mentioned this because I saw my drivers side rear sists an inch lower than my ps rear. find a bumpy road and drive over some bumps with one rear wheel, and keep the other wheel on flat ground and compare the results after doing so with both sides.
Already done. RR makes a nasty clackity sound on short, sharp transients. Left side is a nice, dull thump. Common mode transients (like speed bumps) sound the same sound. RR rides about 1/3" lower than the RL wheel, regardless of conditions.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Already done. RR makes a nasty clackity sound on short, sharp transients. Left side is a nice, dull thump. Common mode transients (like speed bumps) sound the same sound. RR rides about 1/3" lower than the RL wheel, regardless of conditions.
Unless something is loose, or you can see a bad bushing/mount I would definetly say shock.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

endlink probably. unless your sway bar bushing is just shot.

tighten up both ends of that endlink good...especially the bottom. Be sure to use an allen wrench on the bolt to hold it while you use a regular wrench or gear wrench. Sometimes they seem tight even when you use a socket. To test, unload the suspension and hit upward on the bar, it should reproduce the noise if that's it..

could be a loose shock mount or other stuff too but try that first. make sure the spring isn't crooked when you lower the car too. sometimes it doesn't sit on that perch right
Old 07-24-2012, 07:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Found it on Sunday.

Turns out driving-related bumps/vibration had slowly unscrewed the top shock mount nut. Apparently I didn't tighten it down well enough when I applied the Feffman fix.

The tricky part about this one was that the shock nut looked and *felt* tight with the small crescent wrench I could get on it in the car. When I pulled both shocks out and compared them, it was obvious that one of them wasn't torqued all the way down. A couple of turns with a 15mm gear wrench solved that problem.

Everything's nice and quiet now. Thanks, everyone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Clunk