Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Stock Navi screen protective glass... To replace or refinish??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 05:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock Navi screen protective glass... To replace or refinish??

Hey guys,
Just curious if anyone has any suggestion on a replacement or how to refinish the glass on the navi unit. I didn't think mine was in bad shape but now that i've removed the face plate to replace all the buttons, ***** and the face plate itself with all factory replacement parts that i ordered from Luke at Lindsay Cadillac (because i was tired of looking at the chipped buttons), I'm realizing the protective screen has more marks and scratches than i initially thought. It was just hard to tell when it was installed in the car.

I know Luke offers a factory replacement protective lense for $100. I almost ordered it at the time but considering the faceplate, all buttons and both ***** only cost me $150 or so, i couldn't bring myself to spend the extra $100 on the lense when mine really wasn't that bad... Or so i thought.

I did i search and found a couple people suggesting to have a new piece of plexiglass cut to fit since its really nothing special. Probably much cheaper than dealer price even if you get a piece with the protective anti-glare coating. Also saw someone say they took the glass out, buffed all of the coating off of it and then cleaned it up and installed a protective anti-glare lay over sticker like one you would use on your iPhone and it worked great.

Problem is, i don't know if i trust myself to buff the lense like that without damaging it or messing it up. Im too **** for my own good when it comes to things like that. lol

So anyone have any other suggestions or a solution to this??? I need to get the radio back together and back in the car so im going to run to sears and buy the 3.2mm nut driver i need to do the buttons alone and then clean and reinstall it as is but with how easy the navi is to remove, i'll probably tackle the lense in the near future.

Thanks fellas!!

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 07-18-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm gonna try buffing mine with PLASTX next time I go to my shop, I'll send you pics.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Veteran

You gonna buff it with it installed or take it out and buff it?

I looked that stuff up and its main purpose is for clearing oxidized headlights. I would imagine it would work to remove the scratches and stuff but id assume it would remove all of the anti-glare coating which would make it hard to see and glare like a bitch in the sun... Unless you plan to re-apply some sort of anti-glare film afterward.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just replace it with a brand new piece of Acrylic from Home Depot, cost is $3 and it's the exact same thing that is in there stock.

If you want to get fancy you can pick up special non-glare from a plastic supplier. I got mine from TAP plastics which has a store here in Seattle but you can also order from them online, I got two pieces cut to size for $8.

http://www.tapplastics.com/

Here is Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...&storeId=10051

By the way this plastic polish does nothing but make it worse: http://www.tapplastics.com/product/r...c_polishes/428

Last edited by etcts-v; 07-18-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the help bud!!! What is the size of the stock glass? I'm out right now running around. Had to get the 1/8" (3.2mm) nut driver to take the buttons off the plate so I'll just grab a piece of acrilic while I'm out if someone has the size on hand??

I'm googling it as we speak but can't find a size for that piece of glass/plastic.

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 07-18-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:41 PM
TECH Veteran

And if I get that 8"x10" piece, what could I use to trim it to size? Wish I would have brought the old glass with me. FML lol
Old 07-18-2012, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey if you still have the spare one let me know I will buy it off of you and meet up since we are Seattle V's!

Originally Posted by etcts-v
Just replace it with a brand new piece of Acrylic from Home Depot, cost is $3 and it's the exact same thing that is in there stock.

If you want to get fancy you can pick up special non-glare from a plastic supplier. I got mine from TAP plastics which has a store here in Seattle but you can also order from them online, I got two pieces cut to size for $8.

http://www.tapplastics.com/

Here is Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...&storeId=10051

By the way this plastic polish does nothing but make it worse: http://www.tapplastics.com/product/r...c_polishes/428
Old 07-18-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

The real way of fixing a damaged nav screen...

First...

you need the jizz of a 3 year old unicorn. once you have obtained the unicorn semen, place it on the pelt of a platypus that has been rubbed on the taint of Rosie O'Donnell. if this pelt cannot be had, a towel made of the pubs of Oprah can work. But using this pub towel will drastically reduce the effectiveness of the treat. after you have you semen pelt or pub towel, you must then find a drag queen cowboy with nipple claps to sit on you nav screen. once your drag queen cowboy has been found and completed said spitting, take you semen pelt or pub towel and dip in a bucket fill with the tears of 500 tween girls who just some Justin Bieber play live show. wipe said tears the the screen of you nav system. now, this is by far the most import step of the process and can't be changed at all. you must dry the screen of the nav system will blowing air out of you mouth and simultaneously giving a hand job to both a member of the lollipop guild and to Chaz Bono.

and then...poof...good as new.

good luck on your quest Taylor...may you find fun and adventure.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok... Picked up the 8x10 acrylic. Im going to cut it to fit tonight and get all the buttons mounted in the new faceplate. Tomorrow before i install it, i want to find some kind of anti-glare layover to put on the glass before i install it too.

I wonder if i could use an anti glare lay over piece for an ipad and just cut it to fit the piece im using for the screen on the navi?

Or even better, if they sell that stuff in generic sizes that i can probably get somewhere much cheaper than a piece cut to fit an ipad already.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
The real way of fixing a damaged nav screen...

First...

you need the jizz of a 3 year old unicorn. once you have obtained the unicorn semen, place it on the pelt of a platypus that has been rubbed on the taint of Rosie O'Donnell. if this pelt cannot be had, a towel made of the pubs of Oprah can work. But using this pub towel will drastically reduce the effectiveness of the treat. after you have you semen pelt or pub towel, you must then find a drag queen cowboy with nipple claps to sit on you nav screen. once your drag queen cowboy has been found and completed said spitting, take you semen pelt or pub towel and dip in a bucket fill with the tears of 500 tween girls who just some Justin Bieber play live show. wipe said tears the the screen of you nav system. now, this is by far the most import step of the process and can't be changed at all. you must dry the screen of the nav system will blowing air out of you mouth and simultaneously giving a hand job to both a member of the lollipop guild and to Chaz Bono.

and then...poof...good as new.

good luck on your quest Taylor...may you find fun and adventure.
****... If thats all i had to do, i would have replaced the screen long ago... lol
Old 07-18-2012, 11:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok... Got the lexan and cut it to size. Fits and looks perfect. Just need to pick up some anti-glare film and ill be set!!!
Old 07-19-2012, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The stock plastic lense has a non-glare film added to it. Its not just regular plexi-glass.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Launching!

I think this will be another project added to my long list.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Post some pics when you have finished.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:36 AM
TECH Veteran

I know that. I'm gettin an anti glare film for the screen. The stock anti-glare isn't that great anyway.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Ok... Picked up the 8x10 acrylic. Im going to cut it to fit tonight and get all the buttons mounted in the new faceplate. Tomorrow before i install it, i want to find some kind of anti-glare layover to put on the glass before i install it too.

I wonder if i could use an anti glare lay over piece for an ipad and just cut it to fit the piece im using for the screen on the navi?

Or even better, if they sell that stuff in generic sizes that i can probably get somewhere much cheaper than a piece cut to fit an ipad already.
Sorry just saw this, I use a band saw to cut but a razor blade works as well. At TAP they will cut it to size for you, I did the non-glare in mine and it's like a whole new NAV!

Side note, anybody know the trick to placing multiple quotes in one post?

Last edited by etcts-v; 07-19-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
The stock plastic lense has a non-glare film added to it. Its not just regular plexi-glass.
which is why I said you can get non-glare

TAP NON-GLARE Acrylic: http://www.tapplastics.com/product/p...lare_clear/514

Home Depot NON-GLARE:
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/11-in-x...et-310048.html
Old 07-19-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chitown21y
Hey if you still have the spare one let me know I will buy it off of you and meet up since we are Seattle V's!
I don't but I'd be happy to pick up a piece for you, I drive by on my way to work, would love to check out your V! I'm taking mine down to Wong's Performance in Vancouver WA next friday for a tune following my cam & head install.

Tap kicks-***, they have all the plastic, epoxy, fiberglass or bulk window tinting you could ever need! The have gigantic sheets of fiberglass matt and huge buckets of resin, any kind of plastic you could ever need! Right next store is a foam store should you ever do any upholstery work.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good tuner? I need one after my LT install i just finished. Price?

Originally Posted by etcts-v
I don't but I'd be happy to pick up a piece for you, I drive by on my way to work, would love to check out your V! I'm taking mine down to Wong's Performance in Vancouver WA next friday for a tune following my cam & head install.

Tap kicks-***, they have all the plastic, epoxy, fiberglass or bulk window tinting you could ever need! The have gigantic sheets of fiberglass matt and huge buckets of resin, any kind of plastic you could ever need! Right next store is a foam store should you ever do any upholstery work.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:40 PM
TECH Veteran

I bought standard acrylic and figured I'd just get a lay over. Now that I know they sell non-glare... I'll just spend another $3 and get another piece and cut it again. Easier than hunting for a lay over.

However, I think the thickness on the non-glare was much thinner than what comes in there which is why I went standard acrylic last night.

Noticed as I was installing my buttons, the dot buttons are different on the top 3 than the bottom 3. 3 have a male type tip that slides in a groove and 3 have a female type tip that slide over a groove on the faceplate. Well... They sent me 4 and 2! FML! So I put it all back together with one old button and the old glass for now and just reinstalled it in the car. I'll have to pull it back out Monday or Tuesday when the button Luke and Lindsay is sending me for replacement arrives so in the meantime, I'll figure out the best solution for the acrylic.

So... Get the same thickness acrylic that comes factory but in clear and add a anti-glare film myself or get the thinner anti-glare acrylic and see if it works. It's about half as thick though.

Quick Reply: Stock Navi screen protective glass... To replace or refinish??