Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

'06+ MAF question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06+ MAF question

Im scrapping the SD tuning on my Procharged V, and I cannot find a used MAF anywhere. Are the '04-'05's compatible?
Old 07-19-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer SD over MAF tunes any day... (ran both). Just curious, why are you switching back?
For the 05 ECM, ~11psi on a lightly modded means maxed out (Hz)... then requires either larger piping to slow down air velocity, larger MAF (Hitachi slot style - I ran this for a bit with 4" pipe), then the 511g sec limit comes quick
Then several tables require re-scaling in the ECM (spark / fuel / timing / IAT etc...) to make it work.

http://www.trafficjams.ca/Performanc...gInjectors.htm

I cant remember if the 2006 has the ECM change, which allows more headroom...i can look tonight at someones file.

Sorry for the rambling...
In any case, I do believe the MAF for 04-05 is the same for 06. (80% sure)
Old 07-19-2012, 11:15 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SD is definitely the best way to go in your situation, VMAPPER hit the nail on the head. SD takes a lot of street tuning to properly tune, more so than most MAF tunes do. If you are having issue's, I would suggest getting a tuning program (HP Tuners or EFI Live) and a wide band and tighten up your maps, which is very easily done to be quite honest with you.

There are way too many advantages with an SD tune over a MAF on a supercharged LS motors.

What problems are you having exactly?
Old 07-19-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

And dont forget, with SD, you have Boost Enrichment tables. A MAF will not 'see' boost. Thats the Baro's job.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

My tuner swears HP Tuners doesn't offer a way to tune a speed density system for an 06 CTS-V. Do I need a different tuner? We started tuning out the bugs and he hit a screen and said "****, can't make a SD file for this car." He said it can't see the 2 bar MAP with the MAF disabled.

Last edited by SeeTSvee; 07-19-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:02 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SeeTSvee
My tuner swears HP Tuners doesn't offer a way to tune a speed density system for an 06 CTS-V. Do I need a different tuner? We started tuning out the bugs and he hit a screen and said "****, can't make a SD file for this car." He said it can't see the 2 bar MAP with the MAF disabled.
Your tuner is either an idiot or an amateur. HP Tuners offers custom Operating Systems (OS) as does EFI Live for 2 BAR and 3 BAR SD OS'. If he is having problems seeing certain tables it may be an EFI Live custom OS or he may need the HP Tuners Beta version...the later is a problem that I recently had with another members car on here. I had to email HP Tuners and wait for them to provide the Beta on my login screen, which takes a few days.

I don't know about EFI Live, but the HP Tuners Custom OS will cost you 2 credits.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

He probably forgot you have to use another 2 credits to unlock 2/3 Bar OS on HPTuners.
Then do a full write.

The new OS, if you are choosing the 2Bar will have the 210kpa VE table and BE table, and a few other things.

So based on the last comment, you dont even have a 2/3 bar SD tune.

You can put the stock ECM in SD mode by failing the MAF... but you only have a 1 bar SD then.
So for the tuner to say something like that... makes me wonder how much of the software he knows.

Last edited by vmapper; 07-19-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vmapper
He probably forgot you have to use another 2 credits to unlock 2/3 Bar OS on HPTuners.
Then do a full write.

The new OS, if you are choosing the 2Bar will have the 210kpa VE table and BE table, and a few other things.

So based on the last comment, you dont even have a 2/3 bar SD tune.

You can put the stock ECM in SD mode by failing the MAF... but you only have a 1 bar SD then.
So for the tuner to say something like that... makes me wonder how much of the software he knows.
He failed the MAF, I know that for a fact. Not sure if he was out of credits or what haha! It's not like I don't have the money to front the cost. He's a friend that does this for a living, and has tuned across the country. Hell, he tunes his own ~2000hp TT truck, so I figure he knows his stuff. I'll bring this up to him and see what's going on....
Old 07-19-2012, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool,

Just check with him
Failing the MAF, for these cars, does require you to KEEP the MAF plugged in, as the IAT is required for calculating Speed Density. I do this to tune the VE table for NA setups, then tune the MAF to match, as stock trim has the ECM run a blend (SD/MAF), and also uses SD for any specific triggered failure.

The OS just alters the tables and allows you to use a 5V Baro with your desired boost, and a few other things im sure you know.

If he tunes lots, he should be able to ask Bill @ hptuners as well, it could be the version he is using. Applying the 2/3 bar OS is no problem for your car.

Last edited by vmapper; 07-19-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:39 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

I am a little confused here. In your first post, you stated that you already had a SD tune and you wanted to scrap it, correct? If you have an SD tune, and your buddy cannot see it with his HP Tuners, it may not be a HP Tuners custom OS.

If memory serves correct, you got the V from your in-law, does he remember where it was previously tuned? That may help more than going back and forth with all of this. If you know for a fact that you already have an SD tune and you cannot see any of the tables (and your tuner is not an amateur) I would suspect that you have an EFI Live custom OS and that HP Tuners cannot decipher the additional tables.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

I prefer SD over MAF tunes any day... (ran both). Just curious, why are you switching back?
For the 05 ECM, ~11psi on a lightly modded means maxed out (Hz)... then requires either larger piping to slow down air velocity, larger MAF (Hitachi slot style - I ran this for a bit with 4" pipe), then the 511g sec limit comes quick
Then several tables require re-scaling in the ECM (spark / fuel / timing / IAT etc...) to make it work.

http://www.trafficjams.ca/Performanc...gInjectors.htm

I cant remember if the 2006 has the ECM change, which allows more headroom...i can look tonight at someones file.

Sorry for the rambling...
In any case, I do believe the MAF for 04-05 is the same for 06. (80% sure)
06s have a lot more headroom. I'm at 13-14psi and haven't pegged the MAF yet.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ichpen
06s have a lot more headroom. I'm at 13-14psi and haven't pegged the MAF yet.
probably, Its why i mentioned what 05 is.
I would have to check on my HP tuners laptop at home, but I think the 06 table/maf is good for 15,000Hz if I remember correctly.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe 2/3 bar OS is not available with 2006-2007 ... I only have a slew of 04 and 05 cts-v hpt files which converts OS 12592618 to 1250058 or 1260058... for sure with efiLive, not sure with HPt
Only sure way is to ask hptuners I guess, I would be surprised its not supported by now.

http://m.modmotortech.com/forums/sho....php?t=1026409
Old 07-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I asked and he swore again that HPT doesn't offer a file for a 2006 2bar system.

Back to the drawing board I guess! If anyone has a lead on an 06+ MAF, please send them my way!

You guys are a huge help. I studied Vmappers site like I had a gun to my head after this car was finished.

Thanks,
Robbie

Last edited by SeeTSvee; 07-26-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SeeTSvee
Well, I asked and he swore again that HPT doesn't offer a file for a 2006 2bar system.

Back to the drawing board I guess! If anyone has a lead on an 06+ MAF, please send them my way!

You guys are a huge help. I studied Vmappers site like I had agin to my head after this car was finished.

Thanks,
Robbie
Well, did some googling for you. Your tuner might be right on this. Seems E67 support in HPT is a bit lacking. Consider going to a tuner who uses EFI if you want speed density is my advice I guess.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you cant find a 06 MAF, an option is the PowrMaf (hitachi slot)...
ref: http://www.powrmax.com/PowrMAF%20100.html

Calibration tables are given: http://www.powrmax.com/PowrMAF100%20Tables.html

(or make your own)
I have done the temperature calibration HERE unless you decide or have separated the IAT
Old 07-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

If you cant find a 06 MAF, an option is the PowrMaf (hitachi slot)...
ref: http://www.powrmax.com/PowrMAF%20100.html

Calibration tables are given: http://www.powrmax.com/PowrMAF100%20Tables.html

(or make your own)
I have done the temperature calibration HERE unless you decide or have separated the IAT
I fabricated a separate harness for the IAT, however the MAF harness is still intact...so the MAF tube can be plumbed and plugged in once I get my hands on one. I still have the factory MAP so this should move along quickly.

Why am I in such a hurry to destroy my differential haha??

Quick Reply: '06+ MAF question