Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Installed Brakemotive rotors and pads tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 02:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed Brakemotive rotors and pads tonight...

Wow! Huge difference! My stock pads look to still have quite a bit of meat on them and the stock rotors weren't in bad shape. I took the car out after we installed them tonight to bed the pads. At first while making my way throught the neighborhood slowly, they felt kind of abrasive under light braking and i could feel it a bit in the pedal. Once i made it out to the feeder road, we did a 100-20 mash and a few more 80-20's to get the pads good and bedded to the rotors and take all of that new surface finish off both the rotors and the pads. These things BITE way better than the stockers! Im impressed!! Nice and smooth but the bite is 100 times better than stock rotors and pads!!

I left my little stock low pad indicator plates off the new pads. I didn't want to risk it rattling or squeaking against the metal plate thats already on the back of the pads and I like to visually check my pads anyway. Just one less thing to worry about making noise IMO.

Anyway, anyone considering the upgrade... DO IT! Can't beat the performance for the price IMO!

Thanks Brakemotive!!
Old 07-30-2012, 05:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You sure that that wasn't simply the effect of getting the pads into their proper operating temperature range?

When you pulled the old pads off, were they the Ferodo HP1000, or had the previous owner replaced them with something else?
Old 07-30-2012, 07:19 AM
TECH Veteran

I'm not sure.

Old pads were some fairly new duralast golds
Old 07-30-2012, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same experience with these brakes too, Never Satisfied......I dig em!
Old 07-30-2012, 07:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah bro, they feel so much better than stock! I thought my stock brakes were fairly decent before but now they feel the way they should have felt from the factory IMO. Lol Like some real high performance brakes. Not to mention they look sexy now too! Lol
Old 07-30-2012, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

They do look pretty hawt.

Sexy time!
Old 07-30-2012, 08:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was opposite. I had the Ferodos. Initial bite is not near as strong. Once they have a little heat they grab just as hard and don't fade as fast. Pedal feel is the same, just takes more of it.

Trying to think of a good way to word it. Feels like a track pad - like the pads are slick when cold.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Mine didn't seem to take long to heat up. I could tell upon initial stomp the first time, it wasn't quite as grabby until I started slowing down and I guess they started to get warm. I just attributed that to the pads and rotors being brand new.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie

My assumptions follow Gabbiabi's experience. I expect that the Brakemotive compound is intended for casual street use and probably doesn't grip as well as the Ferodo HP1000 compound (let alone the Hawk HP+) under aggressive street conditions.

The GS3000 metallurgy of those rotors worry me. I've been considering buying a set of DRT premium slotted rotors (GS3500) with black powdercoated hats, but my stock Brembo rotors only have 24k miles on them and seem to be holding up fine.

Do you see any reason to replace pads at the same time as rotors?
Old 07-30-2012, 09:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had 90k on mine (pads probably had been replaced) and it was all in good shape still. I kept them in a box on the shelf they look like new.

Reason I would replace them at the same time is just because you have to pull the caliper off to get the rotor off.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Veteran

I'm sure for basic street use and the odd trip to the drag strip, i think these rotors are prob fine. It's a daily driver so it's not like I'm beating the crap out of them at the track all day. Besides, I'm pretty sure brakemotive has a lifetime warranty on the rotors. If they warp or crack I believe they are replaced for free... Or so I was told.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
I'm sure for basic street use and the odd trip to the drag strip, i think these rotors are prob fine. It's a daily driver so it's not like I'm beating the crap out of them at the track all day. Besides, I'm pretty sure brakemotive has a lifetime warranty on the rotors. If they warp or crack I believe they are replaced for free... Or so I was told.
Ya, I'm not tracking my car on a twisty track, so these are just fine.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I started to develop a vibration on my Brakemotive setupp in the last few weeks. High speed braking makes the steering wheel go crazy. Doesn't do anything to how the car tracks, but looks like the steering wheel is having a seizure.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LAYGO
I started to develop a vibration on my Brakemotive setupp in the last few weeks. High speed braking makes the steering wheel go crazy. Doesn't do anything to how the car tracks, but looks like the steering wheel is having a seizure.
Warped rotor?
Old 07-30-2012, 01:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Warped rotor?
Definitely.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So far I like mine... Not a fan of the harder pads, but it sure beats brake dust after two days of driving
Old 07-30-2012, 02:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Skidmarcx
So far I like mine... Not a fan of the harder pads, but it sure beats brake dust after two days of driving
I agree. Hardly any dust so far even after bedding them hard last night and no vibration in the wheel. That vibration is def a warped rotor. They still feel much more grabby than my stockers after the second day of driving on them. I'm happy.

Laygo... Contact brakemotive about that warped rotor and see what they say. I bet they'd either warranty it out or cut you a deal on a replacement pair for the front. It was my understanding these are under warranty anyway.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
They still feel much more grabby than my stockers after the second day of driving on them. I'm happy.
When my Hawk HP+ pads get hot and you stomp on the brakes, my car turns into the vomit comet of braking doom. Granted, I have to clean the brake dust out of the wheels every three days and carefully apply anti-squeal lubricant every month, but the power is worth it.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Lol! Thats legit but for my car being a street car, i think the brakemotive kit is just fine for what i'll be using it for.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I kept my Hawk pads just in case I didn't like the power stops... I love the feel, but can't stand brown wheels after a few days

Quick Reply: Installed Brakemotive rotors and pads tonight...