Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Solid Subframe Mounts!!! Check this Out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid Subframe Mounts!!! Check this Out!!!

So I know some of you guys on here are always looking for Sub Frame mounts. Well I’m going to be making some solid Sub Frame mounts for the 06/07 Sub Frame here soon. Since these rubber mounts are crap, and are a huge contributor to the wheel hop issues that the V’s have.

If you any of you are interested and want to do a group buy I can probably get the price down around $200-250 for a set. Before I get a batch made though I want to gauge, and see how many of you are interested in this. If I can get at least 5 people who want to try these out I'll make a batch here in about a week or two, and get a final price nailed down if anyone is interested. If this proves to be something that works well I'll start making more and selling these.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:44 PM
TECH Veteran

I would be interested. I think this might be why i feel the *** end wiggle around like its washing out on hard turns. And no... Its not my tires or imagination. Something back there is letting the car get kinda wishy washy when i push it in the turns.... Primarily right hand turns when the *** is being pushed left...
Old 07-25-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Didn't you have that issue with your last V?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Didn't you have that issue with your last V?
Yeah. On the last car I thought it could have been caused by the cut springs but on this one, the suspension is all still stock at this point and it does it too. Something back there is allowing things to move around a little. Im assuming bad bushings somewhere or something. I really dont know. The car feels planted at all times other than on hard right turns. I get that wishy washy feeling where it feels like its washing out in the rear but catches and does it again and again until i get out of the turn. Feels like the tire rolling on the rim but its not. I really have no clue what it is.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Junkie

I'd suspect trailing arm bushings before subframe.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Back on topic: I'd be a little afraid of the amount of harshness added with solid mounts.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Veteran

I'd suspect trailing arm bushings before subframe.
Well then ill wait until i install my ground control kit with MM spacers, MAP trailing arms, etc before i look into anything else. Might fix the problem with the new MAP arms.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Back on topic: I'd be a little afraid of the amount of harshness added with solid mounts.
I'm curious myself as to the risk involved... at what point do you start ripping **** apart because of too much rigidity?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would be too firm.

I did a combination of filling the voids on mine with 65a rubber and adding the diy washers on top and bottom. It was firm as hell.. I did it for handling improvement, not wheel hop. Definitely worked for both of those but it was way too firm for the rest of the drivetrain and clunking bad so I ended up taking out one of my washer layers and it's nice now.

I thought my diff bushing was shot but it looked brand new. I realized the cradle needs to flex a bit to subdue the diff slack and create a smoother shift.

I did get a cs bushing and block but ended up only installing the block.

My trailing arm bushings are shot. I plan on picking up some of the turn in concepts bushings soon.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

What did they do on the factory race cars? Did they tie the cradle in with the cage?
What is junior doing on his build?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We need a vendor to make Poly bushings for the rear carrier. Solid would be too harsh
Old 07-26-2012, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Down for poly. Not sure on solid either, Max at CS said he was making some poly but that has to be over a year ago I heard anything.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I ordered my 8.8 kit in May he said he was in the testing stage with these bushings
Old 07-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

I agree that for a daily it will be a little rough. This was more in mind for the road race and big HP guys because we took a go pro vid before I tore my V all apart again and the flex under acceleration was really bad, and my mounts were still in good shape.

Poly mounts though I think will not much softer or smoother than solid because everytime i've switched between poly and solid mounts I can barely tell a difference if any.

I wont be able to test it out though for at least another month I just sent my ls3 of to be stroked, forged, and low comp pistons. I'm gonna though here in a week or so start on the mounts so if anyone is seriously interested PM me.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

specter works inserts achieve the same outcome.. well at least for ls6 cars. reduced my wheel hop in the rain significantly on the oem diff.. just lube the snot out of them
Old 07-27-2012, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

I may still be in for solid if you review them once you got them in, or if someone else does.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrane

Poly mounts though I think will not much softer or smoother than solid because everytime i've switched between poly and solid mounts I can barely tell a difference if any.

I can see this being the case.. My mod was a bit ghettto but it worked well. It was very solid yet forgiving on nvh because I sandwiched rubber in there and gave it all nowhere to go with the washers, so there was never true contact between the frame and cradle other than the bolt housing of course.

The bushings I've seen, especially those terrible oem ones, just fused more surface area together without firming the stock bushing void itself. For example, the side height of the bushing seemed to prevent the compression itself, depending on how firm they are...

Once I took it apart it all made sense. I'll post some pics later if anyone is interested
Old 07-27-2012, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cadzilla
The bushings I've seen, especially those terrible oem ones, just fused more surface area together without firming the stock bushing void itself. For example, the side height of the bushing seemed to prevent the compression itself, depending on how firm they are...

Once I took it apart it all made sense. I'll post some pics later if anyone is interested
i know exactly what your talking about.. oem TSB bushings are pointless.. white ones

the SW bushings def add noise but work.. what's different about your setup other then filling the voids with poly instead of an insert.. post some pics if you get a chance
Old 07-27-2012, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Been running my sort of half solid cradle bushing helpers for 2 years. Basically 2 thick (close to an inch) washers on top and bottom with some rubber in the middle.

No nice way of putting it but by far the largest contributor of noise and harshness BUT they do tighten up the handling tremendously in my opinion. No real change in hop. They are LOUD. Really they are. I almost decided to remove them at one point but too much hassle as I had to cut the stock rubber ones quite a bit.

So I can only imagine what solid ones will be like.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That is what one should expect when you take the comfy cushy stock suspension and turn it into a hot rod/go-cart.

Just replacing the rear strut supports with sphericals (no rubber) tightened the feel up.

Quick Reply: Solid Subframe Mounts!!! Check this Out!!!