Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

High oil temp

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High oil temp

I bought a V1 about a week ago, and after work I would sometimes get a "high oil temp" alert and bong. Took it on, couldn't find anything, just ended up getting an oil change while I was there.

Apparently this is somewhat common, and is a false reading due to GM painting over where a ground is supposed to connect. I scratched off the paint, and so far so good. I've heard suggestions of adding a star washer, so if it comes back ill try that. The reason it would only do this on afternoons is I'd have the air on blast. Electronic components cause a spike in the read.

I found this all out on a Cadillac forum, figured posting here may help someone else out.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Reed (the guy who owns the FAQ site) and I were the ones who found and fixed that problem on the V.

One of the reasons why I stopped with the CF is some ahole gave me sh*t about this fix and I got tired of being harassed.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

Heavy! Yes! I took a screen shot of your post, I was going to take it to the dealer as I'm no handy man, but thanks to your posts, just 2 minutes under the hood and I'm back on the road.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate it man. I saw the grief he was giving you for some reason. Can't argue with results! Hope you don't mind my posting, it helped me a lot, so I figured I'd share.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Broski
Heavy! Yes! I took a screen shot of your post, I was going to take it to the dealer as I'm no handy man, but thanks to your posts, just 2 minutes under the hood and I'm back on the road.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate it man. I saw the grief he was giving you for some reason. Can't argue with results! Hope you don't mind my posting, it helped me a lot, so I figured I'd share.
Thanks.

It is nice to be appreciated.

Notice how the "**** giver" had nothing to offer except spend an inordinate amount of time harassing me.

Like I need that crap in my life.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Mines done that before but it hasn't happened in a long time. Which ground is it in particular that would need to be cleaned? I may do this just to ensure it never happens again on my car.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Hahah right. No idea why anyone would waste time harrassing someone who is helping people.

Anyway, I only did the one right where the hood prop attaches to the fender. When looking for it, it should be pretty easy to spot. Right on top. There is also one on the passenger side of the motor right above the starter, which if you do would lower the readings more and be even more accurate, but I haven found that one yet. I just tried to give the easy one a shot and so far so good. Heavy does a much better job explaining this, sorry if I'm not much help.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Mines done that before but it hasn't happened in a long time. Which ground is it in particular that would need to be cleaned? I may do this just to ensure it never happens again on my car.
The main battery ground is on the left (facing the car) right below the hood support.

The motor ground is right above the starter motor.

The other grounds are behind the heads on the left and right.

The main battery ground is the biggest offender.

A good test is to turn on the A/C and see if your oil temp suddenly changes.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

I appreciate the help bud. I'll look for the easy one today and clean it up a bit. The weird thing is, mine would always reach high temps when id be driving for awhile but it was completely random. Temp would look fine and then it would spike and then id get the warning light and then it would drop and then usually do it again a couple times. But it didnt happen everytime i'd drive the car. I changed the oil and the problem seems to have stopped. I wasn't over on my last change or anything so i know it had nothing to do with that. I just think its coincidence that it seemed to stop at around the same time. I was told it was a bad ground and it was a common problem on these cars but was unsure where to start considering the number of grounds the car has.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by heavymetals
The main battery ground is on the left (facing the car) right below the hood support.

The motor ground is right above the starter motor.

The other grounds are behind the heads on the left and right.

The main battery ground is the biggest offender.

A good test is to turn on the A/C and see if your oil temp suddenly changes.
Great!! Thanks for the help! Ill go through and clean them all now that i know their locations.

Quick Reply: High oil temp