Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

LED Turn Signal No Worky

Old 08-13-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Turn Signal No Worky

I have a frustrating issue, I upgraded my front and back turn signals to LED Bulbs. Not realizing it was going to be such an issue with very slight benefit, I wish I hadn't but I'm committed now!

When I installed them I followed other threads by removing the resistor in the flasher module as well as adding LED balancers to each bulb (wired positive to negative in line before each bulb). The bulbs work great, the issue I'm having is both flasher indicator lights stay illuminated when headlights are turned off. As soon as I turn my headlights on, everything works perfectly, bulbs flash with no hyper flashing and the indicator lights in the instrument cluster work as expected. However as soon as I turn the headlights off and just the running lights are on, then the instrument cluster indicator bulbs stay illuminated (still no hyperflashing or issues with bulbs themselves).

Any feedback or help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 08-14-2012, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You have to disable the DRL. It's probably backfeeding into the system somehow.

Did you clip the pin per the FAQ?

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/disdrl.html
Old 08-14-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DrSpeed
You have to disable the DRL. It's probably backfeeding into the system somehow.

Did you clip the pin per the FAQ?

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/disdrl.html
You da man!! Thank you, I didn't clip this pin, only removed the resistor.

Another question for you, I installed that flasher you recommended. I swapped mine in by wiring it directly to the stock flasher buttom and wired in directly in place of the factory flasher. I also wired in a small momentary switch in order to switch between flasher patterns. It works great, the problem is the flasher only has like three patterns all of which are crappy, almost just a hyper flash of both sides at the same time.

Does yours have like alternating flash, kind of like what police flashers have? I think I'm going to order another to test, see if it's my wiring setup or the flasher itself..

Did you ever get your HVAC screen working or replaced? Still feel bad about that failed mod, those always get under the skin!
Old 08-14-2012, 01:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same thing going on in an S10 I used to have. I think they stay illuminated as if to tell you they've burned out. I just ignored it since they worked fine.

However, LED turn signals are a PITA. Since then I've only upgraded the other bulbs that don't flash. Also, reverse lamp LEDs typically don't shine as brightly as regular bulbs and are rarely on anyway.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by etcts-v
You da man!! Thank you, I didn't clip this pin, only removed the resistor.
What you described - you only need to remove the resistor on the turn signal relay, or add the resistors inline with your turn signals. You don't need to do both.

I first removed the turn signal resistor, but didn't like how fast it still flashed, so I bought a new one, sold the modded one, and added resistors in the turn signal wiring.

Another question for you, I installed that flasher you recommended. I swapped mine in by wiring it directly to the stock flasher buttom and wired in directly in place of the factory flasher. I also wired in a small momentary switch in order to switch between flasher patterns. It works great, the problem is the flasher only has like three patterns all of which are crappy, almost just a hyper flash of both sides at the same time.

Does yours have like alternating flash, kind of like what police flashers have? I think I'm going to order another to test, see if it's my wiring setup or the flasher itself..
Mine are wired to the lights that are below the brake lamp, and above the turn signal. So, they flash red. I don't have mine wired to the amber turn signal. It has 7 patterns total.

Did you ever get your HVAC screen working or replaced? Still feel bad about that failed mod, those always get under the skin!
Bought another one on fleabay. It works now, but I haven't had a chance to swap the LEDs onto the new HVAC controller.

However, on the dash, right right side display (speedometer), the bottom row of LEDs quit. Never win...enter mod hell.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DrSpeed
What you described - you only need to remove the resistor on the turn signal relay, or add the resistors inline with your turn signals. You don't need to do both.

I first removed the turn signal resistor, but didn't like how fast it still flashed, so I bought a new one, sold the modded one, and added resistors in the turn signal wiring.

Mine are wired to the lights that are below the brake lamp, and above the turn signal. So, they flash red. I don't have mine wired to the amber turn signal. It has 7 patterns total.
Fantastic info, thank you!

Bought another one on fleabay. It works now, but I haven't had a chance to swap the LEDs onto the new HVAC controller.

However, on the dash, right right side display (speedometer), the bottom row of LEDs quit. Never win...enter mod hell.
Damn really? WTF mine are still running strong! Mod devils straight jacked that one, I've had plenty of those projects...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED Turn Signal No Worky