Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

422 RWHP / 383 RWTQ - Dyno Tune @ Slowhawk - Results!

Old 08-11-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

By the way, did anyone see the picture of my CTS-V with the yellow microfiber cloth on the fender and think that the juxtaposition of colors looked cool? If I wasn't such a wuss, I might ask someone to paint a double yellow stripe up the fender and across the hood. Of course, if I did that, I'd also have to get my calipers powdercoated the same yellow hue. At that point, I'd probably be hundreds of dollars in the hole.

Maybe I can find some kind of removable self-adhesive tape to mock it up on the car and see how it looks.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds about right for a cammed LS2
Old 08-11-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
By the way Don does amazing work and a great guy. Glad you had a good experience.
If I bought a FAST 102 from you, would you throw in a half dozen Lou Malnati's pizzas? I moved from Barrington IL (corner of Lake-Cook and Quentin) after graduating from UIUC with a BSEE in 2010. Eventually want to move back there.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I always hear great things about Don and Slowhawk. Where you at in CT?
Old 08-11-2012, 01:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mac62989
I always hear great things about Don and Slowhawk. Where you at in CT?
Groton. Right on the coast.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Groton. Right on the coast.
I may have seen your car around the past couple weeks. Im doing some sheetmetal work at Grasso tech.
Nice setup. I just had Don do h c i 3.73 a few weeks ago
Old 08-11-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yellow plasti dip will give u an idea how the stripes will lool
Old 08-11-2012, 02:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
I may have seen your car around the past couple weeks. Im doing some sheetmetal work at Grasso tech.
Nice setup. I just had Don do h c i 3.73 a few weeks ago
Wow--Grasso is right near where I work in New London. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a silver Camaro. If you saw me in the last couple of weeks, you probably also saw me trying to keep the car alive, post-cam, pre-tune.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:09 PM
10 Second Club

Wow--Grasso is right near where I work in New London. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a silver Camaro. If you saw me in the last couple of weeks, you probably also saw me trying to keep the car alive, post-cam, pre-tune.
Ummm excuse me sir but its pewter lol
I only drove my car there only a few times out of a month there. Usually driving my tan civic.
Is Janetty really that bad? What exactly did he make a mistake on?
Old 08-11-2012, 02:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Ummm excuse me sir but its pewter lol
I only drove my car there only a few times out of a month there. Usually driving my tan civic.
Is Janetty really that bad? What exactly did he make a mistake on?
You'd have to ask Don for all of the details, but from what I could gather, the timing tables were messed up for several reasons. Apparently, Janetty's base tune has some fundamental bugs including a bad max torque value that other variables rely on.

Jannetty advanced timing way too much--a common mistake when you have a DynoJet that can't simulate vehicle loading and you don't do in-vehicle data logging/tuning to compensate. Don showed me by running my car at about 21 and 26 degrees of timing advance. On the latter, I lost about 10 RWHP. More timing does not necessarily mean more power.

Finally, Janetty shut off all of my misfire sensors and increased the rev limiter to 7000 RPM. Bad idea on a stock motor. In retrospect, that's probably the only reason why I was able to put this cam in the car without dropping into reduced power mode. At least they installed the exhaust bung in the right place.

That's about all I can say. I wish Don were here to answer your question--I probably made a mess of all of this.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 08-11-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice numbers. I had Don tune my maggied V also and thought he did a good job. Mine drives and idles like stock too! He's a cool guy that knows his ****.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great numbers man. I wish I could have been as hands-on with my tuning, but I dropped it off before work one day.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Figured I'd throw a quick update in here. I think I owe you guys an in-car video to show the throttle response with the cam, but I've been having trouble isolating my CruiseCam mount from the Sony A65 microphone. Might have to buy an external shotgun microphone.

Now that the car is tuned, the lopey cam sound is almost entirely gone. I think this makes the TRuTorq L3 cam a prime choice for anyone who wants the biggest cam they can get without deviating too far from that stock rumble.

Short walkaround in 1080p below. Should have a much fuller set of pictures and video come Labor Day weekend. Maybe I'll even put the Forgestar F14s on--or maybe angry forum users wanting piano black pictures will tar and feather me--who knows??!

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 08-28-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:56 AM
10 Second Club

hey that sounds great man. You still have stock heads right? I wish my valvetrain was quiet like that. Mine is louder than hell.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:16 AM
TECH Junkie

hey that sounds great man. You still have stock heads right? I wish my valvetrain was quiet like that. Mine is louder than hell.
Correct--stock heads.

It's possible that you have insufficient preload on your lifters--that might explain the noise. Otherwise, you might want to look into an improved hood liner.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

Don says these valves in my tea heads make some good noise so im going with that lol. It dosent seem as loud as it used to.

Looking forward to seeing/hearing more of your vids! If I could get my hands on a decent camera I would post some.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct--stock heads.

It's possible that you have insufficient preload on your lifters--that might explain the noise. Otherwise, you might want to look into an improved hood liner.
bring ur car up for some runs this weekend. i have a few cars in ur power range that will be good races.. including a newer boss302
Old 05-01-2013, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'd have to ask Don for all of the details, but from what I could gather, the timing tables were messed up for several reasons. Apparently, Janetty's base tune has some fundamental bugs including a bad max torque value that other variables rely on.

Jannetty advanced timing way too much--a common mistake when you have a DynoJet that can't simulate vehicle loading and you don't do in-vehicle data logging/tuning to compensate. Don showed me by running my car at about 21 and 26 degrees of timing advance. On the latter, I lost about 10 RWHP. More timing does not necessarily mean more power.

Finally, Janetty shut off all of my misfire sensors and increased the rev limiter to 7000 RPM. Bad idea on a stock motor. In retrospect, that's probably the only reason why I was able to put this cam in the car without dropping into reduced power mode. At least they installed the exhaust bung in the right place.

That's about all I can say. I wish Don were here to answer your question--I probably made a mess of all of this.
Ryan if your going to spread Lies you better have your Facts Straight.

First I did NOT advance your timing At all your timing Map is Stock for a basically stock car with headers, I did a full Maf calibration, Torque management, speed limiter and rev limiter adjustments, fan settings, skip shift, codes for headers, Rev limiter is set at 6800 which is only 200 over stock Normal for this type of tune.

Everything was logged and No Knock retard was recorded, 370 RWHP is Pretty impressive for an LS2 with Headers and a CAI.

Tune files are here for all to see and compare JRE to Stock http://www.jannettyracing.com/RYANSTEINDELJRE.hpt
http://www.jannettyracing.com/RYANSTEINDEL.hpt

Secondly your Dyno tune did not cost 800.00 Dollars, Your Total Bill was 639.06 which included, 100.00 for HPtuner licensing, an O2 Bung and Plug, Welded in your exhaust for AFR Readings 20.09, Repairing your Chassis brace that was hitting your headers, and fixing a vacuum leak 75.00, the Dyno Tune 400.00 and CT Sales Tax 38.16

It is Not often I refuse to work with someone but you are So difficult I chose not to work with your ever again, If your Mad find another way to deal with it than Spread Lies.

You were treated Nothing but professionally when you were here back in 7/2011

If anyone wants to know Ryan installed his own clutch and mismatched clutch parts, When my mechanic first got in the car to bring it in the bay to weld the O2 bung in and fix the chassis brace, He immediately reported the Clutch did not work right, I reported this to you and you said it is fine, When my other Tech put the car on the dyno reported the clutch does not feel right it won't go in gear, I told you and you said it needs to break in, I disagreed, When I was on the dyno with the Car I again told you there is something wrong with your clutch and you told me it's fine just might have to bleed it one more time, I disagreed.

I did not want to drive the car with the clutch like this I had to start the car in gear to prevent Harsh engagement, and did not feel a road test for such a simple tune was necessary.

After everything was done and you drove out of here, you came back like a Raving maniac Accusing us of doing something to your clutch which is totally absurd!!!

I even offered to Bleed your clutch for you and did so at NO CHARGE to no avail, I explained that you had the wrong parts on the car and you refused to listen to a 35 Year Tech and insisted we did something to your clutch and threatened to charge back your credit car and left here like a complete Fool.

By the Way you were so Happy with your JRE tune that you contacted me and told me so, then asked If I would be willing to tune again for a cam you would be installing.

I don't need this kind of Drama, So when you asked me to Retune your car for the cam, I thought about it, Pretty hard and after talking it over with my Staff We all Agreed Your a Customer JRE does not Want or need.

Sorry it has to be this way, Look at it this way your only 1 of 4 people in 27 years in business that I have asked not to return so your Famous around here.

Ted.

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 05-01-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh so there was a vacuum leak causing his car to run shitty after he put on his CAI. A lot of people were saying to look for that or spark issues but he claimed it only needed a tune and that it was fixed "after the tune."
Old 05-01-2013, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MN_V
Oh so there was a vacuum leak causing his car to run shitty after he put on his CAI. A lot of people were saying to look for that or spark issues but he claimed it only needed a tune and that it was fixed "after the tune."
I didn't have a vacuum leak. One of his shop guys didn't like my PCV nipple and replaced it with something he had on hand (without asking, by the way). Janetty is in no position to speak authoritatively on this subject because he didn't see the before/after on the impromptu mod. He busy inside making me and another couple stand around and wait while he posted on forums online and ordered out food for a couple of hours.

That 10 AM tune appointment turned into a fiasco as he botched the couple's Corvette tune, blamed it on their NGK TR-6 plugs, charged them several hundred dollars to acquire stock plugs from a local dealership, and ultimately still couldn't diagnose/fix the problem. The shop contained 100% irritated/unhappy customers by the end of that evening. Ted made a great big scene, screaming outside of his shop when I brought the car back while his wrench monkeys sneakily tried to send me on my way by greasing my shifter linkage. Professional, my ***.

If anyone thinks that reading me pick apart Janetty's recollection of the facts would be educational, let me know. Otherwise, I think the facts are pretty well-known, and I don't particularly feel the need to argue this out with him for the third or fourth time.

By the way, I don't have HP Tuners, so I can't read that file, but I believe that my rev limiter was set to 7,000 because a) Janetty told me he set it there and b) I hit it a half-dozen times. Everything else regarding the tune (like the knock sensors that were disabled) is based on Slowhawk's diagnosis. It's not worth starting a war between two shops, but it would be interesting to get the backup from Slowhawk and compare it against that file for authenticity.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 05-01-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 422 RWHP / 383 RWTQ - Dyno Tune @ Slowhawk - Results!