LED Turn Signal No Worky - LS1TECH

Go Back   LS1TECH > VEHICLE SPECIFIC FORUMS > Cadillac CTS-V
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Cadillac CTS-V
The Caddy with an Attitude...

LED Turn Signal No Worky

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
TECH Enthusiast
 
etcts-v's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 651
Default LED Turn Signal No Worky

I have a frustrating issue, I upgraded my front and back turn signals to LED Bulbs. Not realizing it was going to be such an issue with very slight benefit, I wish I hadn't but I'm committed now!

When I installed them I followed other threads by removing the resistor in the flasher module as well as adding LED balancers to each bulb (wired positive to negative in line before each bulb). The bulbs work great, the issue I'm having is both flasher indicator lights stay illuminated when headlights are turned off. As soon as I turn my headlights on, everything works perfectly, bulbs flash with no hyper flashing and the indicator lights in the instrument cluster work as expected. However as soon as I turn the headlights off and just the running lights are on, then the instrument cluster indicator bulbs stay illuminated (still no hyperflashing or issues with bulbs themselves).

Any feedback or help would be greatly appreciated!!
__________________
'04 CTS-V 423rwhp / 380rwtq: Torquer V3 Cam, PR 2.5 Heads, FAST 102, Ported LS2 TB, Volant CAI, Magna Cat Back, Paceset Headers, CAT delete, LS7 Clutch, 18lb RAM Fly, Hotchkis Sway, K-Sport Coil, Eibach 600/650, Revshift, 160 T-stat, Adjust End Link, Custom Strut, Goodrich Lines, Katech S.S., Murdered, Yellow Caliper, Suede Headline, Hyper LED, Stainless Gauges, Pioneer App Deck, 4 Alpine Amp, 15 Speak, JL 12W7, Headrest Monitors, Tuned by Wong's P.E.
etcts-v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
TECH Enthusiast
 
DrSpeed's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 4
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 564
Default

You have to disable the DRL. It's probably backfeeding into the system somehow.

Did you clip the pin per the FAQ?

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/disdrl.html
__________________
2005 Cadillac CTS-V - 362 HP/352 TQ
2002 Ford Superduty 754HP/1252TQ
DrSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
TECH Enthusiast
 
etcts-v's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 651
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpeed View Post
You have to disable the DRL. It's probably backfeeding into the system somehow.

Did you clip the pin per the FAQ?

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/disdrl.html
You da man!! Thank you, I didn't clip this pin, only removed the resistor.

Another question for you, I installed that flasher you recommended. I swapped mine in by wiring it directly to the stock flasher buttom and wired in directly in place of the factory flasher. I also wired in a small momentary switch in order to switch between flasher patterns. It works great, the problem is the flasher only has like three patterns all of which are crappy, almost just a hyper flash of both sides at the same time.

Does yours have like alternating flash, kind of like what police flashers have? I think I'm going to order another to test, see if it's my wiring setup or the flasher itself..

Did you ever get your HVAC screen working or replaced? Still feel bad about that failed mod, those always get under the skin!
__________________
'04 CTS-V 423rwhp / 380rwtq: Torquer V3 Cam, PR 2.5 Heads, FAST 102, Ported LS2 TB, Volant CAI, Magna Cat Back, Paceset Headers, CAT delete, LS7 Clutch, 18lb RAM Fly, Hotchkis Sway, K-Sport Coil, Eibach 600/650, Revshift, 160 T-stat, Adjust End Link, Custom Strut, Goodrich Lines, Katech S.S., Murdered, Yellow Caliper, Suede Headline, Hyper LED, Stainless Gauges, Pioneer App Deck, 4 Alpine Amp, 15 Speak, JL 12W7, Headrest Monitors, Tuned by Wong's P.E.
etcts-v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
TECH Addict
 
BudRacing's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dunwoody, GA
Posts: 2,109
Send a message via AIM to BudRacing
Default

I had the same thing going on in an S10 I used to have. I think they stay illuminated as if to tell you they've burned out. I just ignored it since they worked fine.

However, LED turn signals are a PITA. Since then I've only upgraded the other bulbs that don't flash. Also, reverse lamp LEDs typically don't shine as brightly as regular bulbs and are rarely on anyway.
__________________
2004 CTS-V - Black on Black - lowered on STS-V wheels with OBX Longtubes and DMH Cutouts
BudRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
TECH Enthusiast
 
DrSpeed's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 4
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by etcts-v View Post
You da man!! Thank you, I didn't clip this pin, only removed the resistor.
What you described - you only need to remove the resistor on the turn signal relay, or add the resistors inline with your turn signals. You don't need to do both.

I first removed the turn signal resistor, but didn't like how fast it still flashed, so I bought a new one, sold the modded one, and added resistors in the turn signal wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etcts-v View Post
Another question for you, I installed that flasher you recommended. I swapped mine in by wiring it directly to the stock flasher buttom and wired in directly in place of the factory flasher. I also wired in a small momentary switch in order to switch between flasher patterns. It works great, the problem is the flasher only has like three patterns all of which are crappy, almost just a hyper flash of both sides at the same time.

Does yours have like alternating flash, kind of like what police flashers have? I think I'm going to order another to test, see if it's my wiring setup or the flasher itself..
Mine are wired to the lights that are below the brake lamp, and above the turn signal. So, they flash red. I don't have mine wired to the amber turn signal. It has 7 patterns total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etcts-v View Post
Did you ever get your HVAC screen working or replaced? Still feel bad about that failed mod, those always get under the skin!
Bought another one on fleabay. It works now, but I haven't had a chance to swap the LEDs onto the new HVAC controller.

However, on the dash, right right side display (speedometer), the bottom row of LEDs quit. Never win...enter mod hell.
__________________
2005 Cadillac CTS-V - 362 HP/352 TQ
2002 Ford Superduty 754HP/1252TQ
DrSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
TECH Enthusiast
 
etcts-v's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 651
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpeed View Post
What you described - you only need to remove the resistor on the turn signal relay, or add the resistors inline with your turn signals. You don't need to do both.

I first removed the turn signal resistor, but didn't like how fast it still flashed, so I bought a new one, sold the modded one, and added resistors in the turn signal wiring.



Mine are wired to the lights that are below the brake lamp, and above the turn signal. So, they flash red. I don't have mine wired to the amber turn signal. It has 7 patterns total.
Fantastic info, thank you!

Quote:

Bought another one on fleabay. It works now, but I haven't had a chance to swap the LEDs onto the new HVAC controller.

However, on the dash, right right side display (speedometer), the bottom row of LEDs quit. Never win...enter mod hell.
Damn really? WTF mine are still running strong! Mod devils straight jacked that one, I've had plenty of those projects...
__________________
'04 CTS-V 423rwhp / 380rwtq: Torquer V3 Cam, PR 2.5 Heads, FAST 102, Ported LS2 TB, Volant CAI, Magna Cat Back, Paceset Headers, CAT delete, LS7 Clutch, 18lb RAM Fly, Hotchkis Sway, K-Sport Coil, Eibach 600/650, Revshift, 160 T-stat, Adjust End Link, Custom Strut, Goodrich Lines, Katech S.S., Murdered, Yellow Caliper, Suede Headline, Hyper LED, Stainless Gauges, Pioneer App Deck, 4 Alpine Amp, 15 Speak, JL 12W7, Headrest Monitors, Tuned by Wong's P.E.
etcts-v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:25 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird




Paid Advertisement
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Instrument Cluster/Radio dim during day Firemavrick231 Stereo & Electronics 6 05-18-2015 07:34 AM
Instrument Cluster/Radio dim during day Firemavrick231 Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 2 04-23-2015 07:44 AM
LEDs in front turn signals/DRL.... Tried LED flashers. No luck HoLLo Appearance & Detailing 10 09-19-2014 02:00 PM
Not your typical eBay Switchback LEDs ZexGX Appearance & Detailing 38 04-26-2013 07:38 AM
Weird Turn Signal Issue loyolacub68 Stereo & Electronics 9 06-04-2012 01:23 PM


Tags
blinker, cadillac, camaro, cts, gen, hyperflash, indicators, led, ls1tech, resistor, s10, signal, signals, slice, turn, wire, wiring


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



Join Ls1Tech

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - JOBS
Emails & Contact Details