Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

question for you aftermarket radio users

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for you aftermarket radio users

I dont know about most of the V1 owners but I can tell you that the stock radio pisses me off to know end.. The navi sucks, the settings wont stay in memory for the audio setup and I think the system could use a sound improvement. I want to upgrade, my question is. What would happen with the seat memory, the traction control and stability control? Would all of that still work with an aftermarket unit? How would I know when the comp mode is active? Any help? I want to do this ASAP..
Old 09-10-2012, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hostile03SVT
I dont know about most of the V1 owners but I can tell you that the stock radio pisses me off to know end.. The navi sucks, the settings wont stay in memory for the audio setup and I think the system could use a sound improvement. I want to upgrade, my question is. What would happen with the seat memory, the traction control and stability control? Would all of that still work with an aftermarket unit? How would I know when the comp mode is active? Any help? I want to do this ASAP..
I have aftermarket and the seat memory is gone, not that I used it anyways, but the traction control and stability control work just fine (just use the light in the cluster). Well worth the swap, I'm more than happy I did it.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by etcts-v
I have aftermarket and the seat memory is gone, not that I used it anyways, but the traction control and stability control work just fine (just use the light in the cluster). Well worth the swap, I'm more than happy I did it.
Sounds good. With the stability control off how do you know when it is off though? I know the traction light on the dash, but the comp mode is only shown on the screen of the radio.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds good. With the stability control off how do you know when it is off though? I know the traction light on the dash, but the comp mode is only shown on the screen of the radio.
I use the button in the glove box, unfortunately you won't be able to tell with which setting it's in with comp mode which isn't a big deal for me because I rarely use it.

That said if it's a big thing for you there are two options if you want to retain all the factory DIC's, either relocate the head unit to the trunk with a harness extension (there are extensions available online but personally I would just solder in extensions, lot cheaper), or do one of these two:

I modded my stock nav unit to accept a single din unit by removing the 6 disc changer which I ran for a year. After hours and hours and hours of fiberglass and bondo work I still ended up pulling it after a year anyways because I realized I never used the factory settings.

Here is a shot of what I had:

Here is my setup now

Just for your info, here is the stability track settings:

1. Traction Control & Stability Control ON (Normal)

2. Traction Control OFF & Stability Control ON (Press T/C button once, light comes on)

3. Traction Control OFF & Stability Control Lowered (Press T/C Button twice, light comes on and stays on, aka Competitive Driving Mode. Stability lets you drift sideways a bit before interfering)

4. Traction Control OFF & Stability Control OFF (Hold T/C Button, light comes on and stays on, be careful)
Old 09-10-2012, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

My seat memory function still works with my aftermarket hu. Everything else works just like etcts-v said. I'm love my aftermarket stereo, and have no idea why it took me so long to swap it!! Lol
Old 09-10-2012, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by etcts-v
I use the button in the glove box, unfortunately you won't be able to tell with which setting it's in with comp mode which isn't a big deal for me because I rarely use it.

That said if it's a big thing for you there are two options if you want to retain all the factory DIC's, either relocate the head unit to the trunk with a harness extension (there are extensions available online but personally I would just solder in extensions, lot cheaper), or do one of these two:

I modded my stock nav unit to accept a single din unit by removing the 6 disc changer which I ran for a year. After hours and hours and hours of fiberglass and bondo work I still ended up pulling it after a year anyways because I realized I never used the factory settings.

Here is a shot of what I had:

Here is my setup now

Just for your info, here is the stability track settings:

1. Traction Control & Stability Control ON (Normal)

2. Traction Control OFF & Stability Control ON (Press T/C button once, light comes on)

3. Traction Control OFF & Stability Control Lowered (Press T/C Button twice, light comes on and stays on, aka Competitive Driving Mode. Stability lets you drift sideways a bit before interfering)

4. Traction Control OFF & Stability Control OFF (Hold T/C Button, light comes on and stays on, be careful)
Im confused with the TC and the Stability Control. I have no idea if what I am doing lowers the stability. Here is what I do, I press the TC button on the steering wheel once light comes on TC is off, I press it again, radio says competition mode. The TC control light always stays on when doing this. This car confuses me lol.. This is what happens when all yo have owned were Fords
Old 09-11-2012, 08:53 AM
Launching!

Im confused with the TC and the Stability Control. I have no idea if what I am doing lowers the stability. Here is what I do, I press the TC button on the steering wheel once light comes on TC is off, I press it again, radio says competition mode. The TC control light always stays on when doing this. This car confuses me lol.. This is what happens when all yo have owned were Fords
Comp mode comes on when you hit the T/C button twince within a few seconds.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you lose competition mode when you remove the Nav. I don't have access to competition mode and I think it's because my Nav was replaced and not flashed with a "V" program.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

It is too bad there is not an electrical adapter to make all of the factory functions work. Kinda like if you have steering wheel controls to make that still work.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I've never been a fan of integrated audio with other car functions. It really kills aftermarket options.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Yeah, I've never been a fan of integrated audio with other car functions. It really kills aftermarket options.
Bud I could not agree with you more! I am going to call some friends that have friends who own stereo shops. I will bring the car someplace and maybe do a single din setup in place of the multi disc Commadore 64 floppy drive hahaha.. I like the the double din that was done and the heat and ac controls were lowered down in place of the useless little trap door. The options.. I am happy with the performance of the car, but what good is it if you cant enjoy the music you are listening too??
Old 09-13-2012, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Oh and this is the worse sounding BOSE audio I have ever heard in my life.. When Honda came out with the BOSE audio it was more impressive than the garbage GM put in our Vs...
Old 09-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BudRacing
I think you lose competition mode when you remove the Nav. I don't have access to competition mode and I think it's because my Nav was replaced and not flashed with a "V" program.
I would bet against this. No way that the stability control function would be tied to the stereo. It just no longer displays that you're in comp mode or the system is off. Eventually I'll hook up my scan tool and find the signal for the stability control and say this for sure, but I'm 99% sure you won't lose it, just the message stating what mode it's in.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

If you could find the signals, and find a way to hook it so that you could run a set of led's as indicators that would make this a no brainer for most of us. 1 led for comp mode, 2 leds on for everything off....
Old 09-13-2012, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dmax/04V
If you could find the signals, and find a way to hook it so that you could run a set of led's as indicators that would make this a no brainer for most of us. 1 led for comp mode, 2 leds on for everything off....
Dude you hit the nail on the head with that one! That would be an awesome idea!! If someone can make this fantasy a reality we will have plenty of V1 owners doing this I am sure and the full enjoyment of our cars would be even more appreciated..
Old 09-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Teching In

I can probably find the CAN signal easily but I don't know if you could really hook that up to an led or something.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The problem is that the class II communicates with the radio and the radio supplies "feedback" in the form of telling the class II a button has been pushed (acknowledgement).
Old 09-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Teching In

I'll find out if that's true when I get the chance. I'll unplug the radio and check it both ways.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:25 PM
Launching!

Check mine out here.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...l#post16720020
Old 09-14-2012, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

Oh and this is the worse sounding BOSE audio I have ever heard in my life.. When Honda came out with the BOSE audio it was more impressive than the garbage GM put in our Vs...
Who cares....you're still in a Honda! Maybe it sounds better because they don't have engines. I'm sure if you put a lawn mower engine in a V the stereo would sound better too!
I'm not a huge fan of Asian vehicles. If you would like to compare the sound system of the V to a BMW, or maybe an Audi I might listen.

Quick Reply: question for you aftermarket radio users