Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Head Cam Intake THrottle Body Install Writeup

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 07:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread, definetly a sticky.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Nice work, I will leave it here for a little while then sticky it if you don't mind.
Sticky is cool with me!

Thanks everyone. Hopefully it'll help someone else since I've learned alot on here.

Originally Posted by 01_SuperSlow
Nice write-up
Did you dyno your setup yet?
Not yet. The dyno is about an hour away from me, but I'll post up results when I get over there (most likely this month) so everyone can see.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Epic. Hat's off.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 stickie, Thanks for taking the time to do this. i've used your other write ups before and they are spot on
Old 10-03-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow stellar write up, thank you!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Launching!

Nice Writeup! Dang, now I'm getting another itch to use my lift. Ugh!!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow very nice write up!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

Nice dude!!! I'm going to be doing the exact same thing in a month or so.
What timing chain tensioner/damper did you go with? or did it come with the timing chain kit?
I'm thinking of going with the Katech C5r timing chain and a katech oil pump. I was also thinking of the caddy race lifters or a set of morel link bar(haven't decided yet, overkill??).
Also haven't decided on a blower cam yet, but I'm putting my final list together.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

This is an incredible write-up. I've never seen one as in-depth as what you've put together here... it's making me want to do some cam shopping. Another vote for a sticky.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Its contributions like this, that make this community great!
Old 10-03-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

This thread is making me feel like i need to go tear my motor apart and throw money at it, even though I just put it back together. This would make for an interesting hot rod type magazine article or series with all the pictures and details.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tommycompton
Nice dude!!! I'm going to be doing the exact same thing in a month or so.
What timing chain tensioner/damper did you go with? or did it come with the timing chain kit?
I'm thinking of going with the Katech C5r timing chain and a katech oil pump. I was also thinking of the caddy race lifters or a set of morel link bar(haven't decided yet, overkill??).
Also haven't decided on a blower cam yet, but I'm putting my final list together.
Tony Mamo send me a Rollmaster adjustable set. It's a thicker one like the LS2 style. I've never heard anything bad about Katech's chains/pumps.

Mamo wanted me to go with some uber $$ Johnson lifters with a link bar, but I decided it was overkill and that money could pay for the oil pump and more importantly, beer. That said, I'm very happy with the LS7 lifters and stock trays.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

WOW. Nice work.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

Wow, probably the best write up I've seen. Thank you for spending the time to put this together. Maybe I missed it, but how did you keep your lifters up? Did you just spin the cam or use dowels? It's been a while since I've done a swap, but I believe I did the heads before the cam so lifters was not an issue.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dmax/04V
This thread is making me feel like i need to go tear my motor apart and throw money at it, even though I just put it back together. This would make for an interesting hot rod type magazine article or series with all the pictures and details.
Originally Posted by Stone17
WOW. Nice work.
Originally Posted by Derek98z
Wow, probably the best write up I've seen. Thank you for spending the time to put this together. Maybe I missed it, but how did you keep your lifters up? Did you just spin the cam or use dowels? It's been a while since I've done a swap, but I believe I did the heads before the cam so lifters was not an issue.
Thanks guys!!

I took the lifters out before I took the cam out.Then after putting new cam in, then put new lifters in.

Even if you don't replace your lifters (for some odd reason) it's only one 10mm bolt holding the lifter trays in, and you can just pull the trays and lifters out by hand. Easy peazy!

Last edited by lollygagger8; 10-23-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Post dyno #'s once you get it tuned, great write up!
Old 11-23-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

ever get it tuned/dyno'd?
Old 12-04-2012, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

I had a question....when installing the rockers (stock), is it just a simple as throw them on and torque the bolts down to 22 ft-lbs? or is there a process?
Old 12-20-2012, 12:15 AM
10 Second Club

Bad *** write up!

They're still some unanswered questions as to the Dyno results. Which I'm sure the OP is impressed with, being he bought quality parts. Give the people what they want..lol

Also I seen you had a dial indicator on hand, why didn't you degree your cam? Just curious..

Originally Posted by snyousef
I had a question....when installing the rockers (stock), is it just a simple as throw them on and torque the bolts down to 22 ft-lbs? or is there a process?
As I'm sure by now you have gotten an answer, but just in case. From what I know with factory rockers, yes they will be installed just as the came off. (Ensure proper seating with the pushrod and valve spring.) Once all 16 rocker arms are complete, prior to installing the valve covers, I personally would rotate the engine by hand slowly to check for any binding or hard spots.

(Also keep in mind if using stock rockers, the comp trunion upgrade kit is a great way to enhance the reliability and performance of the stock rockers.)
Old 12-23-2012, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FEAR LS
Bad *** write up!

They're still some unanswered questions as to the Dyno results. Which I'm sure the OP is impressed with, being he bought quality parts. Give the people what they want..lol

Also I seen you had a dial indicator on hand, why didn't you degree your cam? Just curious..

As I'm sure by now you have gotten an answer, but just in case. From what I know with factory rockers, yes they will be installed just as the came off. (Ensure proper seating with the pushrod and valve spring.) Once all 16 rocker arms are complete, prior to installing the valve covers, I personally would rotate the engine by hand slowly to check for any binding or hard spots.

(Also keep in mind if using stock rockers, the comp trunion upgrade kit is a great way to enhance the reliability and performance of the stock rockers.)
Thanks for weighing in! I'm tearing into my engine as we speak, I am going to use the LS2 timing chain and cam gear and I was wondering if it's even worth the hassle of replacing the crank gear (pulling old one off is PITA but if it's needed it will be done) or should I just leave the LS1 crank gear in there?

Quick Reply: Head Cam Intake THrottle Body Install Writeup