Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

DIY Ford 8.8 into V1 Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you sir!

I cannot take all of the credit as Blake is my man behind the scenes!

Also have to think alot of the members on here. I put daily, when I can, updates on CTSV vs. The World on Facebook.

Thanks again!
Old 07-27-2014, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give these guys a call for custom CV's.
http://www.rcvperformance.com/catego...S_CV_AXLES_ALT
I am curious if they can help.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:52 AM
TECH Addict

Yep, we got our inner stubs from them, iirc.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's some additional info for constructing your own axles.

Sway-A-Away half shafts: http://www.racereadyproducts.com/axl...way-irs-axles/ You need the 18" driver side and 19" passenger side, so it will be a custom order.

The same company also sells quality Porsche 930 CVs: http://www.racereadyproducts.com/cv-.../930-cv-joint/

Last edited by bmylez; 09-12-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks bud!
Old 08-30-2014, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

Can we confirm that the drivers side axle is the correct length with the proper stub shaft? I have a used creative steel kit on its way and it has the dss inner stubs. I already have dss 1000hp axles in the car now. Hoping I can swap stubs and the use one axle. Then get a new bar or cut and respline the passenger one. Only thing is the passenger side axle is tapered down a little right after the splines. But if the passenger side axle needs to be 1.5" or more shorter there's enough meat there to do it. Anyone have any answers?
Old 09-12-2014, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlackSS/SC
Can we confirm that the drivers side axle is the correct length with the proper stub shaft? I have a used creative steel kit on its way and it has the dss inner stubs. I already have dss 1000hp axles in the car now. Hoping I can swap stubs and the use one axle. Then get a new bar or cut and respline the passenger one. Only thing is the passenger side axle is tapered down a little right after the splines. But if the passenger side axle needs to be 1.5" or more shorter there's enough meat there to do it. Anyone have any answers?

I'm curious about this as well as I have a buddy that was looking to do this. I already had my axles rebuilt/repaired because I sheared a stub off in the stock diff. I paid the difference to have the rebuilt for the CS 8.8 swap brackets and DSS replaced my stubs with the 31 spline stubs. Got the DSS carbon fiber driveshaft today as well (took 5 weeks though )... to bad Summit dropped the ball and didn't ship my new pinion bearing, setup bearing, and axle bearings/seals till today . I would have had it up and running this weekend.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kpforce1
I'm curious about this as well as I have a buddy that was looking to do this. I already had my axles rebuilt/repaired because I sheared a stub off in the stock diff. I paid the difference to have the rebuilt for the CS 8.8 swap brackets and DSS replaced my stubs with the 31 spline stubs. Got the DSS carbon fiber driveshaft today as well (took 5 weeks though )... to bad Summit dropped the ball and didn't ship my new pinion bearing, setup bearing, and axle bearings/seals till today . I would have had it up and running this weekend.
That's basically what we did with Blake's G-Fore axles, except we had a Sway a Way axles made instead.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

What I ended up finding out is the driver's side axle length will work with the 8.8 stub. The passenger side axle needs to be longer than the drivers side by 1 inch. So my drivers axle bar is 18" and passenger is 19". That's with my current level 5 axles.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

What I ended up finding out is the driver's side axle length will work with the 8.8 stub. The passenger side axle needs to be longer than the drivers side by 1 inch. So my drivers axle bar is 18" and passenger is 19". That's with my current level 5 axles.
Cool, I edited my post based on what you said. Looks like it would have to be a custom order from the place I linked since they don't make 18 and 19.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

I was told that length axle bar only applies to the level 5 axles I had as the creative steel and other level 5s use different outer stubs sometimes.

Actually they told me I'd have to reuse my passenger 20.xx" bar but that wasn't the case at all.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

So perhaps you need longer axle bars if you re-use the stock outer CVs. So many variables!!
Old 09-28-2014, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

I've read parts of this thread before, but today I read through all 27 pages. I've been excited about the 8.8 swap since I found out just how crappy our stock diff's are..which was just after I bought my 07-V three months ago....shucks. I was all into the CS kit, but I couldn't figure out how to make it not break my bank account and/or send me to divorce court.
Look I love power, but mine is gonna be stock cubes/NA for a while..that said 1000hp axles are just not in the cards for me. I just wanna have fun with out worrying about the glass differential exploding.
The cost of the axles is the brunt of the cost here. I kept wondering...why can't the stock ford 28-spline inner stubs be used with a custom axle bar to fit stock V outers....would it be too weak because of the 28 splines, or just the tripod CV? (Reman t-bird axles are dirt cheap on rock auto)
So theres all these 28 spline cases (t-bird,markviii) out there, you can stuff 31 spline guts in it, but there's not much out there for stubs or even stock axles to accomdate 31 splines in these cases...(enter expensive dune Buggy stuff)

Enter the 2007+explorer diff....,
---tons of them out there,
---has dual front mounts (unlike the previous exploder irs diffs) that are beefier than the cobra/mark vii.
Plus it is already 31 spline carrier (I think) and stock with 3.73 & 3.55 gears, drop in a truetrac or track loc, pumpkin done...reman axles are cheap enough to cannibalize. Could the swap be ultra affordable, by using only custom axle sticks (anti wheel hop diameters) between explorer inners & stock v outers??? The DIY rear brackets should work with this 8.8. The front mount bracket looks to need some change. Looks like the mounting plate would be flatter (perhaps easier to make?) The RX7 guys seem to prefer this diff too.

www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=15911.0

It might not be the ultimate be all, for big power guys. But could be a great stepping stone for the more stockish guy that hope to get there some day.

Last edited by hefftone; 09-28-2014 at 09:17 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 09-29-2014, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmylez
Cool, I edited my post based on what you said. Looks like it would have to be a custom order from the place I linked since they don't make 18 and 19.
I was told that length axle bar only applies to the level 5 axles I had as the creative steel and other level 5s use different outer stubs sometimes.

Actually they told me I'd have to reuse my passenger 20.xx" bar but that wasn't the case at all.
I would not compare right to left as that does not matter.

Speak of them independently.

The passenger has to be cut down.

You can use different outers, but not necessary.

I don't think the explorer stuff will wok with the DIY brackets.

We hope to be measuring stuff in the next few weeks.

We have several sets of axles from all of the companies, plus the ones that we had made.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

We are heading to the track in Baytown tonight to try out the new 4.10s.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

In case anyone doing the swap wants to ditch the crap OEM two rear diff mounts revshift now carries poly ones.... wish I would have known that before I put the cradle back in :/ but they weren't carrying them yet... time to drop her down again lol
Old 10-11-2014, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

As much as I support RevShift, I don't see these as very necessary. I have seen at least 6+ cradles and they were all in good shape.

With that said, if they are cheap and you have it out replace them.

GET CRADLE BUSHINGS NOW!

Replaced mine with RevShift 75D, VERY hard poly, and not listed on their site and they are SO sweet. Love them.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Any new news on this. And would it be easier to "capture" the mounting bracket in between the Housing and the rear cover with two gaskets. Just a thought
Old 11-03-2014, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

You could do that.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

ttt...................

Quick Reply: DIY Ford 8.8 into V1 Build thread