Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Brake Bleeding Troubles

Old 11-17-2012, 07:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Brake Bleeding Troubles

I installed the Goodridge stainless steel brake line kit earlier this summer. Unfortunately, I let the fluid reservoir run dry and probably introduced some air into the ABS system. Yesterday, I took the car down to MJ Sullivan to have them use a Tech 2 to purge any air from the system and bleed the brakes.

While the pedal feel is slightly better, I can still put the pedal to the floor when the car is at idle or parked. Is that normal, and if not, do you think I should bring the car back and demand that they do it again, plus refund the cost of the two bottles of Super Blue Dot 4 that they wasted?

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2012, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is not normal.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The abs valve is a PITA to bleed... I'd go back to have it redone... It could be possible that you have to bleed the master cylinder again too
Old 11-17-2012, 09:05 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your pedal is going to the floor then you have serious issue's. Air being introduced into the ABS has never been an issue (not in my case anyhow) and I was never a fan of using the Tech II to assist in bleeding. There aren't places in the ABS unit for air to hide, if that makes sense, as the ABS unit is placed in series between the master cylinder and the calipers.

Here is the problem...if you went to a shop and directed them to bleed the brakes using your fluid and a Tech II, and that is what they did, you got what you paid for and are entitled to nothing. If you would have had them diagnose a "soft pedal", or pedal going to the floor then that would be a different matter entirely.

Whenever I do brake work, I usually gravity bleed the system first, followed by pressure bleeding, followed with a test drive where I activate the ABS by making panic stops. If the pedal is soft, I bleed the system again. In all honestly, if air was able to get trapped in the ABS, simply spinning the pump under no pedal pressure probably wouldn't do much good. I think that the motor spinning under pressure would be more likely to remove trapped air.

If you pedal is going to the floor, that is usually indicative of bad seals or a leak in the system. Are you sure that no other type of fluid was introduced into the system?

Hope this made sense...the percocet is starting to wearing off again....
Old 11-17-2012, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

That is not normal. I'd take it back. The pedal will be softer at idle, but not enough to hit the floor, period.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree 100% with DMM.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DMM
If your pedal is going to the floor then you have serious issue's. Air being introduced into the ABS has never been an issue (not in my case anyhow) and I was never a fan of using the Tech II to assist in bleeding. There aren't places in the ABS unit for air to hide, if that makes sense, as the ABS unit is placed in series between the master cylinder and the calipers.

Here is the problem...if you went to a shop and directed them to bleed the brakes using your fluid and a Tech II, and that is what they did, you got what you paid for and are entitled to nothing. If you would have had them diagnose a "soft pedal", or pedal going to the floor then that would be a different matter entirely.

Whenever I do brake work, I usually gravity bleed the system first, followed by pressure bleeding, followed with a test drive where I activate the ABS by making panic stops. If the pedal is soft, I bleed the system again. In all honestly, if air was able to get trapped in the ABS, simply spinning the pump under no pedal pressure probably wouldn't do much good. I think that the motor spinning under pressure would be more likely to remove trapped air.

If you pedal is going to the floor, that is usually indicative of bad seals or a leak in the system. Are you sure that no other type of fluid was introduced into the system?

Hope this made sense...the percocet is starting to wearing off again....
This is good info, I'm bleeding my brakes today after my stainless steel line install. Tried first with a Miti-vac but having no luck so I just picked up one that plugs into the air compressor, hopefully that will do the trick! But I may start with a gravity bleed after reading this.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

I keep my engine bay really clean. If there were any leaks in the system there, I would've found them. Unless you're suggesting that the seals in the master are shot. In that case, I'm probably better off buying a new master, right?

Also, when I did my brake lines, I had all four wheels removed so that I could see all four connection interfaces. I gravity bled the system, pressure bled the system, then attached a MityVac to each bleeder valve individually and beat on the brake pedal to eliminate all of bubbles that would come out. It was a good thing I did that, because I was able to immediately find a small leak at the passenger side front inlet line. After I tightened it down and cleaner up the area, however, there were no further leaks and the pedal still felt squishy.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
I keep my engine bay really clean. If there were any leaks in the system there, I would've found them. Unless you're suggesting that the seals in the master are shot. In that case, I'm probably better off buying a new master, right?

Also, when I did my brake lines, I had all four wheels removed so that I could see all four connection interfaces. I gravity bled the system, pressure bled the system, then attached a MityVac to each bleeder valve individually and beat on the brake pedal to eliminate all of bubbles that would come out. It was a good thing I did that, because I was able to immediately find a small leak at the passenger side front inlet line. After I tightened it down and cleaner up the area, however, there were no further leaks and the pedal still felt squishy.
"beating" on the pedal is the worst thing you can do as it compresses the air bubbles.

I used a MOTIVE brake bleeder.

Just opened up the bleed screw and closed it when the fluid color changed (used blue fluid).
Old 11-17-2012, 01:01 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

I have owned the pneumatic brake bleeder for quite sometime now, and have never found it to be of use bleeding anything. It is very effective at collecting all the old fluid from the master cyl before bleeding though.

Fuzzy - yeah, I was referring to the Master cyl seals. Is the seal located under your master cyl cap distorted/swollen? If not, I would pump the brakes several times (engine off) and see if the pedal still falls to the floor...if it does, you're likely dealing with master cylinder. If the pedal is pretty solid, I'd take it out and find a puddle or gravel and get the ABS to activate a few times, then pressure bleed it again.

Either way, try to avoid using the vacuum bleeder.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Heavy, I beat on the pedal after applying significant vacuum pressure on the other end. DMM, I'll check the seal under the cap when I get off work tonight. Why do you recommend avoiding vacuum bleeding?
Old 11-17-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heavy, I beat on the pedal after applying significant vacuum pressure on the other end. DMM, I'll check the seal under the cap when I get off work tonight. Why do you recommend avoiding vacuum bleeding?
Vacuum bleeding is fine as long as you don't suck any air.

It is beating on the pedal either brake or clutch that I don't like.

That makes any trapped air even harder to get out.

http://www.v8archie.com/arch4.htm

Last edited by heavymetals; 11-17-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DMM
Fuzzy - yeah, I was referring to the Master cyl seals. Is the seal located under your master cyl cap distorted/swollen? If not, I would pump the brakes several times (engine off) and see if the pedal still falls to the floor...if it does, you're likely dealing with master cylinder. If the pedal is pretty solid, I'd take it out and find a puddle or gravel and get the ABS to activate a few times, then pressure bleed it again.

Either way, try to avoid using the vacuum bleeder.
Is this what you mean by swollen? I can just push it back into place, but it'll look like this after I drive the car.

By the way, I should mention that I bench bled this thing earlier this summer and it didn't do squat.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:15 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

No, that is normal. If you had any type of contamination, you would know right away as the rubber under the cap would swell to 5x its original size.

The vacuum bleeding tool for the brakes is only half of what was originally intended...there used to be /should be a pressure vessel that pressurizes the system from the master cylinder, this is how the "vacuum bleeders" originally worked way back when. The pressure vessel was expensive and messy (imagine brake fluid spraying everywhere when the seal slipped) so the vacuum portion is what stayed on the market.

I advise against vacuum bleeding b/c the system was not designed for this, and will almost always require follow up by pressure bleeding the brakes. How many people would prime a fuel system by vacuuming the fuel rail?

There is a right way and a wrong way to do things, and without the pressure vessel, simply using vacuum is not the correct way to do this.

Last edited by DMM; 11-18-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is this what you mean by swollen? I can just push it back into place, but it'll look like this after I drive the car.

By the way, I should mention that I bench bled this thing earlier this summer and it didn't do squat.
That piece should "accordion" as it is supposed to expand to keep air out and the fluid from sloshing around causing bubbles.

I think you have a brake fluid leak.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

So, based on the research I've done, it seems like I might have a bad brake master. The pedal is initially firm, but under continuous pressure, it eventually falls to the floor. Since there are no leaks anywhere else, the seals internal to the master must be bad, right?

If correct, it seems like I have several options:

1. Buy a used master from a wrecked CTS-V for about $40.
2. Buy a rebuild kit for about $60. Might be a hard operation to do...don't know.
3. Buy a new or aftermarket master.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by heavymetals
I think you have a brake fluid leak.
I'll check again, but I'm not hopeful. I did a thorough check when I installed the brake lines and found one fitting that wasn't tightened sufficiently. Nothing since then. However, the problem has been present ever since the installation. I almost wish I didn't spring for the lines, but I'm sure I'll be pleased when the problem is resolved.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you don't have "wet" rims or fluid on the tires or floor, then probably no leak and a bum master.

After all the pumping, you probably contaminated all the fluid though, so that could still be the problem.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Just bought a Cardone 10-3161. $61 on Amazon, if anyone's interested. Should be here in a couple of days...I'll report back if this fixes the problem.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:54 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

So, based on the research I've done, it seems like I might have a bad brake master. The pedal is initially firm, but under continuous pressure, it eventually falls to the floor. Since there are no leaks anywhere else, the seals internal to the master must be bad, right?
Sounds like an accurate diagnosis. If the pedal drops under steady pressure, and there are no external leaks, an internal leak past the seals is the only thing it can be.

Make sure you bench bleed the master, and then flush the rest of the system when you bleed it after install.

Have you ruled out that your stainless steel lines aren't flexing?

Last edited by DMM; 11-18-2012 at 06:00 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Bleeding Troubles