Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

05 v front end vibration...sometimes!

Old 03-05-2013, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 v front end vibration...sometimes!

I have an intermittent vibration in the front end and I haven't been able to pin point it. I just put new tires on it as well as pads and rotors but still feels the same. Sometimes it drives perfect other times the steering wheel has a bad vibration. It normally starts at about 50mph but it seems to go away for the most part at 65+. It does it no matter what gear I am in. Also under acceleration or at a constant speed doesn't seem to change anything. I have heard the control arm bushing are suspect in these cars so I jacked up the front end with the suspension hanging and grabbed the tire but there doesnt seem to be any play that I can see or feel. Any suggestions?

Last edited by scottylow; 03-05-2013 at 10:53 PM. Reason: poor grammar
Old 03-05-2013, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Besides my braking shake, I have a wobble around 50-55 too. Goes away, but only in that range does it shake.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

When was the last time you guys had an alignment? I had similar issues, and the alignment got rid of it. Turns out my camber and caster angles were messed up, both front and back, left and right.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive had vibration forever over 55 getting worse with increased speed. Neutral or not its still there. Had the car realigned 3 times since then and its still there. At this point I think my trouble can only lie in the driveshaft or there is something going on w my suspension...
Old 03-06-2013, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The first mile or two on the highway I have a slight shake to the steering wheel but it goes away once things warm up, then everything is smooth as glass. I suspect a tire imperfection.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

or wheel imperfection
Old 03-06-2013, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Had an alignment done a few months ago. Got the lifetime with Firestone.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MN_V
The first mile or two on the highway I have a slight shake to the steering wheel but it goes away once things warm up, then everything is smooth as glass. I suspect a tire imperfection.
Cold tires (especially if they are under inflated) will develop "flat spots" from sitting just overnight.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Ya I am gonna try an alignment. When I got the new tires the fuel pump was messed up so I just took the tires down without the car and had them switched. The tires only have like 200 miles on them so I better get it aligned anyway. Funny thing you say that MN V I seem to notice the vibration more often when I first start driving the car than once I have been driving for a while. Well hopefully alignment solves the issue. I am getting sick of "fixing" things. Dont get me wrong I love spending money on my cars for mods but the car just barely hit 70k (Only 10k from me) and I have already spent more fixing things then I have modding it.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by heavymetals
Cold tires (especially if they are under inflated) will develop "flat spots" from sitting just overnight.
Cold Flat spotting is even more frequent in high performance tires that have softer compound rubber and due to the nature of the overlay patterns that are used to get these tires to perform at high speeds. My PS2's did it all the time. Took about 5-10 miles to get back in round. Some manufacturers don't have the technology and they permanently flatspot (don't want to name names).

I had a set of kumho's on my last car that no matter what balancing was done would vibrate the car at certain speeds, once I replaced the tires with a different brand (bridgestones), all my problems were solved.

Just as a sidenote.. Buying new tires doesn't mean you are actually getting good round tires. The way the aftermarket for tires work is the OEM car company that uses that specific tire gets all the best picked tires with lowest rotating assemblies within a certain range. The "duds/rejects" that fall outside of the OEM specs get dumped to the aftermarket tire shops like tirerack, belletire, discount etc. etc. This happens because the world demand is so high for tires that nothing goes to waste because the yearly rubber output is pretty much fixed. Every tire company has different manufacturing techniques, some are significantly better than others and that is what you will generally pay dearly for.

A good way to get a properly balanced wheel/tire assembly is to get them match mounted. This is where they measure the highs and lows of the wheels and tires and match them accordingly keeping the assembly as "round" as possible and not egg shaped. This helps a ton with balancing the assembly and getting rid of any unwanted vibrations.

Based on your description of your problem though you might have a suspension bushing that is worn out..Or your old tires just flat spotted the same as the new ones.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 v front end vibration...sometimes!