Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Advice/Recommendation Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Advice/Recommendation Needed

I have been finishing my build that includes an E Force blower (part number 1540 universal LS3). As typical with builds I am running into a few unanticipated issues here at the end. The one that has me a little puzzled is the EVAP and PCV implementation. On my blower there is only one port behind the throttle body available to tie in the emissions systems (EVAP and PCV). In discussions with Edelbrock they suggest teeing the EVAP and dirty side of the PCV system together. Normally I would think this would be OK (less than ideal but OK). With the LS2 implementation of the PCV system (car is on 07 CTS V with the LS2 engine) I am less convinced. The new valley cover supplied with the blower does not include provisions for the oil seperator on the stock unit. I am using a catch can on the dirty side of the PCV system to address the oil seperator removal. However if I tee the EVAP into the PCV system without an actual PCV valve I would assume there is potential for the EVAP vapors to enter the crankcase via the PCV system (not something I want). I could drill and tap another fitting into the snout but I am wondering if I would be better served by introducing an LS1 PCV valve into the dirty side of the system. This would prevent the EVAP vapors from entering the crankcase except when both valves are open... Thoughts
Old 04-18-2013, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

add the fitting to the snout
Old 04-18-2013, 04:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Couldn't you buy an inline PCV valve? Or am I totally misunderstanding the situation?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Fuzzy,

Yes my two options as I see them are drill/tap the snout or put an inline LS1 style PCV valve in place. The LS1 PCV system absolutely sucked but I don't believe the issue was with the valve itself. Hose routing and lack of something to adequately trap oil seemed to be the issues. However, I have received advice not to take this approach as teeing the EVAP and PCV seem to be discouraged. I don't really understand why this would be a bad idea IF I put the inline PCV valve in place but then again I am not an ASME certified mechanic either. I am just trying to make sure I am not missing something.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bumpity, bumpity, bumpity, bump
Old 04-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sssnake
Fuzzy,

Yes my two options as I see them are drill/tap the snout or put an inline LS1 style PCV valve in place. The LS1 PCV system absolutely sucked but I don't believe the issue was with the valve itself. Hose routing and lack of something to adequately trap oil seemed to be the issues. However, I have received advice not to take this approach as teeing the EVAP and PCV seem to be discouraged. I don't really understand why this would be a bad idea IF I put the inline PCV valve in place but then again I am not an ASME certified mechanic either. I am just trying to make sure I am not missing something.
+1 on make your own, dont do dirty side evAr. Unless you want to have engine oil in your S/C, not bad if you have super clean oil at all times. But gunk in a twin screw is bad news.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LIQUIDZ28
+1 on make your own, dont do dirty side evAr. Unless you want to have engine oil in your S/C, not bad if you have super clean oil at all times. But gunk in a twin screw is bad news.
+1 keep it clean and trustworthy
Old 04-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put a check valve on PCV's side of the T. Will only allow flow from crankcase to manifold. A plain old brake booster check valve will work if you can hide it right. Shouldn't be an issue with the EVAP purge trying to push the check valve closed under normal conditions. If crankcase pressure rises it can go out the fresh air intake or push the check valve back open. The ports are technically connected inside the manifold so I've never seen the big deal with connecting stuff outside. I've got one port on my '69 and am running brake booster, PCV, vacuum advance, and cruise control off it. Do have a little old Corvette booster charcoal canister on the brake booster but that's it.

Quick Reply: Advice/Recommendation Needed