Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

E Force Stage II - Cam and Heads

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 10:46 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default E Force Stage II - Cam and Heads

So...I continued by adding some used stage III 317 heads (71cc), Brian Tooley springs and cam, LS9 head gaskets, an upgraded tensioner from Edelbrock, and I finally upgraded the HEX pump to a Meziere pump.

I have to say, it feels strong...really strong. I am still fine tuning things, but it idles GREAT with no shake and a slight hint of chop at 900 RPM...just perfect.

Pictures speak louder than words, so here you go:

I got a used set of Stage III 317 heads with SS 2.08" and 1.60" valves from a board member here, they had 15 passes on them and were in excellent condition.

Installing the Brian Tooley .660" springs...very nice...

I spoke to Brian Tooley about his Stage I blower cam (http://www.briantooleyracing.com/pos...-camshaft.html) since it was close to what I was looking for only I had something a little different in mind since I have heavy intake valves. He slightly modified the profile and I could not be happier.

Going back together. I had a LOT of carbon on the pistons...and it would not come off even after soaking. It took a little while but got them clean.

Putting the rockers on, you have to seal the intake rocker bolts since the boss is ground down when porting.

Edelbrock updated their tensioner due to breakage. The original one is on the left, updated one on the right...much beefier. Thanks to Mark (Psycobillycaddy) for the hook up!

Installed a new Meziere pump in the same exact place as the old...just behind the bumper cover to the inside of the driver fog lamp assembly. Works great!

I am still doing the tuning now and am right at the limits of the DW300 intank pump. I'll have to figure something out pretty soon. Stage III will be a forged short block, either stock displacement or a 383. I'll decide when the time comes (ie, whatever I can get cheaper, lol)
Old 06-09-2013, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice work for us ls6 guys to read
Old 06-10-2013, 03:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Excellent... I'm already following your thread on the cadi forum I think. Good work! This may be an off the wall question but how do you think that superchargerwould work with a set of our stock 243 castings on the LS6? I know they are both cathedrals and I'm pretty sure the 317s are a larger combustion chamber (please correct me if I'm wrong) which would allow for less compression for the boost. But I'm drooling over this build again and I'm liking what I'm reading on both forums. I'll be checking back to see numbers. I am really trying to figure out what path I want to go down FI or NA before I start piecing stuff together and threads like this help me with a little research into it all.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I thought you could not run the stage 3 heads on the ls6? Needed the 4" bore?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:11 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

It will work with the 243's but stock compression is too high for anything over 5-7 lbs of boost. With the 2300, 7 lbs was too much and I could not run any timing which made it feel like a dog on the street. The 317's are cheap, I got the used stage III 317's for $740 and take offs to for $100 a set or less.

If you changed to dished pistons you could keep the 243's, but that doesn't make sense. I'd rather use a larger combustion chamber since it has always worked for me in the past. I was able to lower static compression nearly a point with just the 317's and I can run more timing advance down low to get drivability back. This is why the LSA and LS9 have lower static comp ratios.

Tommy C will notice a world of difference as well with his heads and lower SCR.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet I'll keep that in mind. I want to have the 243s machined next year along with a cam. I suppose I could just sell the heads and can if/when I go FI later. I am a little leery of going to big with the stock rear end. I won't go FI until after I get an ford 8.8 to throw in there.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

looks great DMM. Your having all the fun. I added meth and the 9lb pulley. Im pulling 615 to the wheels now. they said if I cram the bigger filter back in there I will get a few more
Old 06-10-2013, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fap fap fap fap fap 617whp fap fap fap fap fap

617 to the wheels??? Fuuuuuuuhhhhhh I would be going through more tires and gas than an entire race car team. I WANT THAT

**** healthcare... Someone tell Obama everyone needs superchargers for their cars. That makes far more sense. Lol
Old 06-10-2013, 04:59 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
I thought you could not run the stage 3 heads on the ls6? Needed the 4" bore?
Internet rumor...they're just fine.

Originally Posted by psychobillycaddy
looks great DMM. Your having all the fun. I added meth and the 9lb pulley. Im pulling 615 to the wheels now. they said if I cram the bigger filter back in there I will get a few more
Thanks! That's awesome, 615 at the wheels is up there well into V2 territory...I'm envious. Do you still have the single DW300 pump or did you add something in the mix? I plan on meth as well...did you plumb straight into the lid?

I hope to follow your lead and put up some big number is the very near future!
Old 06-10-2013, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you guys have e85 stations nearby? That helped allot with my little turbo 4 banger running 26psi it had like 420ish lbs trq to the wheels. I can only imagine how it would work with a big tvs and 5.7+ liters of displacement.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:51 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Do you guys have e85 stations nearby? That helped allot with my little turbo 4 banger running 26psi it had like 420ish lbs trq to the wheels. I can only imagine how it would work with a big tvs and 5.7+ liters of displacement.
Our V1's don't have enough fuel pump options to be able to use E85.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DMM
Our V1's don't have enough fuel pump options to be able to use E85.
That sucks. The cobalt's direct injection was my roadblock. I had it tuned to run 91/e85 at a 50/50 mix. The injection window was so short I just couldn't get enough ethanol in when running straight e85. I still got most of the benefits from the ethanol. Still injecting O2 with the fuel (alcohol based) and still get more timing because its more knock resistant. if I ever get to the point of putting a TVS on my car I'm might try that to see what happens. Oh and you still get horrible fuel economy with the ethaIol/91 or 93 (depending on where you're at) mix. i calculated it at a track day... 6mpg... But I was also driving pretty hard.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious, does anyone run the 317's with a Maggie? Curious if it was worth any power or if you just can't spin it fast enough.

Nice build DMM
Old 06-15-2013, 09:48 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks! Been getting lots of compliments and turned heads

It's been driving great...I brought it to the beach this weekend and was pretty disappointed when I saw that I was only getting just over 18 MPG...until I found out that I somehow reset my speedometer to factory and was about 6 MPH off at highway speeds.

I'll get some vid's posted after I get back!
Old 06-15-2013, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DMM
Internet rumor...they're just fine.

Thanks! That's awesome, 615 at the wheels is up there well into V2 territory...I'm envious. Do you still have the single DW300 pump or did you add something in the mix? I plan on meth as well...did you plumb straight into the lid?

I hope to follow your lead and put up some big number is the very near future!
Single DW300 and a KB boost a pump. The meth is plumbed into the middle of the stainless intake tube.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

DMM, what are your power estimates?
Old 06-16-2013, 02:17 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RADEoN
DMM, what are your power estimates?
Man, I have no idea. I would have to say in the 550ish range at the very least. I will say this thing has torque like you would not believe and is easy to drive on the highway. I hope to be able to give definite numbers before too long.

Anyhow...have some good news and some bad news driving home from the beach this weekend. I was driving through Delaware, there was a car between me and the lead car that was trucking along at a blazing 42 MPH (I hate PA drivers...and NJ for that fact). The vehicle directly in front of me was a newer Tahoe with a beat up tow hitch on it.

At a long straight away, the Tahoe jumped out to pass the PA driver and I followed suit. The Tahoe merged back into the right lane and slammed the brakes and I jumped back into the left lane and stomped on it, passing him (so I effectively passed two vehicles at once). I slowed down to about 65 and the Tahoe came charging up on me.

To my dismay, I saw the six little rectangle lights in the lower grill and the cage between the front seats...I just passed a Delaware State Trooper at over 105 MPH! Luckily, he never turned the lights on and I snapped a pic as I crossed the MD line, just before he turned around.

Now the bad...I was about 5 miles from home, going around an exit ramp and the rear locked up a few times in sixth gear. I put the clutch in, tried unsuccessfully to get it back into gear, and then finally was able to get into third. I limped it home with the trans making a horrible (expensive) noise. Stand by for carnage pics....
Old 06-16-2013, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You knew this was coming. The stock T56 is only good for about 450 ft-lbs of torque. Time for a TR6060 or Magnum T56, which are both good for 700 ft-lbs.

I recommend buying the close ratio unit (2.66 1st and 0.62 6th gears), which is stronger and more of a "driver's transmission" than the wide ratio unit (2.97 1st and 0.50 6th gears). More teeth = stronger gears. Since you'll be losing some gearing at the high end in sixth, and you can't run enough tire in the CTS-V to manage the torque in first and second anyway, a 3.27 or 3.31 differential makes extraordinarily good sense. Not only are those lower differential gearings stronger than 3.73, they're more mechanically efficient, and because your driveshaft is spinning more slowly, it's critical speed is higher. It'll also let you use your most efficient gear (4th) at typical street cruising speeds.

So while it's a certainly a financial loss, the death of your T56 will usher in newer, faster, better-driving version of your CTS-V.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 06-16-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep up the good work man... Nicely done so far... You need to just fuel cell it and go e85 if possible... F gas mileage go for mo POWA!
Old 06-16-2013, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

love these eforce threads.. thanks for posting

Last edited by shadyLS6; 06-16-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Quick Reply: E Force Stage II - Cam and Heads