Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Chipping Radio Buttons, No more replacements from Lindsay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chipping Radio Buttons, No more replacements from Lindsay?

According to the Caddy FAQ, you can order new radio buttons for the chipping ones via Lindsay Cadillac and just pull the radio apart and replace them individually. So I called and placed my order for new buttons only to have Lindsay call me back the next day to tell me the individual buttons are no longer available. They mentioned something about the supplier loosing their contract with GM so they couldn't supply them individually anymore.

So that leaves me in a quandary. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get new ones without having to just paint them all black (and loose the labels) or replacing the whole unit?
Old 08-25-2013, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

paint them with a flat enamel black marker from a hobby store. just avoid the light dot.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They stopped being available a few months back. Delphi will no longer sell the buttons to 3rd party vendors. We may need to flood their cust service with requests to get them to start selling the buttons again.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:47 PM
Launching!

Flat Black Testors paint pen or even a sharpie works for small chips. Or ditch the pos for a nice nav unit like I did and be done with it. I don't regret it for a second.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:10 AM
Launching!

So now gm is making you buy a whole nav unit or you can just buy all the buttons as a set?
Old 08-26-2013, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TeamSorad
So now gm is making you buy a whole nav unit or you can just buy all the buttons as a set?
You have to buy the complete radio unit now.

I've considered just painting them (plasti-dip) but my issue is that the previous owner(s) must have had long finger nails because they even chipped off some of the labeled buttons as well (Band, Disc, etc). You paint those black then you are left guessing which is which (brain teaser).

I've also considered dumping the unit for an aftermarket but what do you do about the lost functionality? Without the factory unit you lose mpg, outside temp, open door warnings, etc. I've considered swapping in a temp/compass rear view mirror unit. Has anyone done that successfully?
Old 08-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by McCall
You have to buy the complete radio unit now.

I've considered just painting them (plasti-dip) but my issue is that the previous owner(s) must have had long finger nails because they even chipped off some of the labeled buttons as well (Band, Disc, etc). You paint those black then you are left guessing which is which (brain teaser).

I've also considered dumping the unit for an aftermarket but what do you do about the lost functionality? Without the factory unit you lose mpg, outside temp, open door warnings, etc. I've considered swapping in a temp/compass rear view mirror unit. Has anyone done that successfully?
check out ultra-gauge. theyre 70 bucks and give you access to most everything you lose, just plugs in the obd port. can clear engine codes with it too. ill be picking one up soon. between that and a smartphone in your pocket you should be covered. I put in an alpine ine-s920hd head unit and I love it. really wakes up the factory speakers but I replaced my speakers with infinity kappas since theyre 2 ohm like the factory bose, it sounds really good for what I have into it. again...zero regrets. I now have bluetooth, an ipod in the glove box with 10,000 songs, hands free calling and up to date navigation. no brainer for me.

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

Last edited by ravenls6v; 08-26-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damnit, i knew this would happen if i held out!
Old 08-26-2013, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got an email back from Delphi which basically said contact the dealer or one of their authorized repair facilities. Contacted their repair facilities and was told they were not able to get them either. Oh well....
Old 08-26-2013, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ravenls6v
Flat Black Testors paint pen or even a sharpie works for small chips. Or ditch the pos for a nice nav unit like I did and be done with it. I don't regret it for a second.
This.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

check out ultra-gauge. theyre 70 bucks and give you access to most everything you lose, just plugs in the obd port. can clear engine codes with it too. ill be picking one up soon. between that and a smartphone in your pocket you should be covered. I put in an alpine ine-s920hd head unit and I love it. really wakes up the factory speakers but I replaced my speakers with infinity kappas since theyre 2 ohm like the factory bose, it sounds really good for what I have into it. again...zero regrets. I now have bluetooth, an ipod in the glove box with 10,000 songs, hands free calling and up to date navigation. no brainer for me.

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/
Thanks Raven. I think you have me leaning your way, especially with the Ultragauge. Do you have any pictures of your Alpine install? The issue I have aftermarket usually is that cheap looking radio surround.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

You could have someone make vinvyls to match the factory labeling. Paint them white. Label on shoot with black. Pull the label back off.

I just took mine apart and plasti dipped it
Old 08-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Thanks Raven. I think you have me leaning your way, especially with the Ultragauge. Do you have any pictures of your Alpine install? The issue I have aftermarket usually is that cheap looking radio surround.
I have some pics ill try to put up tomorrow, it actually blends in really nice and I think it looks much better than the stock radio. I got my install kit from Crutchfield, I highly recommend this as the one you can get on ebay is cheesy and grainy looking. You'll need a PAC device to install the head unit and Crutchfield offers it at a discounted price when you order the head unit from them. It's an interface to adapt the head unit to the car if you've never heard of it, the whole install is pretty simple and the results are great.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

i used a paint marker that was flat black on my chips and am happy with the result.. i only have one though on the "band" button.

hijack
'00 BMW MRoadster w/LS1-T56
are you the same MaCall, saw this in canibeat the other day while looking at a slammed ctsv with wheel adapters

http://www.canibeat.com/2013/02/wall...z3-m-roadster/

slammed ctsv:

http://www.canibeat.com/2013/06/wall...ac/#more-63262
Old 08-27-2013, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 08-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by shadyLS6
i used a paint marker that was flat black on my chips and am happy with the result.. i only have one though on the "band" button.

hijack

are you the same MaCall, saw this in canibeat the other day while looking at a slammed ctsv with wheel adapters
http://www.canibeat.com/2013/02/wall...z3-m-roadster/
Yes, that would be me. That car was a love/hate relationship as I built it and it has moved on to the next happy owner.

I'm leaning toward the idea of just removing the paint, putting vinyl letters on for the graphics, shooting them black, and just peeling the vinyl off. Now I just need to find a weekend I can kill to do that...

Great Patriot video Stone. Having that extra new tech in the dash would be cool. I do wonder though when do you have that much time to sit there and punch through all the different menus while driving? Just lowering the volume looks like it takes some concentration unlike a simple ****.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Launching!

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-28-2013, 07:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Great Patriot video Stone. Having that extra new tech in the dash would be cool. I do wonder though when do you have that much time to sit there and punch through all the different menus while driving? Just lowering the volume looks like it takes some concentration unlike a simple ****.
It just like a phone. Very easy to use.
The volume you just run your finger up or down the screen to change the volume
Old 08-28-2013, 08:15 AM
Staging Lane

[IMG]
Thanks for sharing Raven. That does look pretty darn good.

Stone, understood. That is a great alternative as well.

What to do...what to do...
Old 08-28-2013, 08:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stone17
It just like a phone. Very easy to use.
The volume you just run your finger up or down the screen to change the volume
It doesn't play DVDs, CDs, HD Radio, or Sirius XM...all for a price where other units do...don't forget that part...

(Stone17 and I have had an unspoken pissing match over our head units since the parrot thread lol...it's all just fun...I do have to admit he had an extra $300 in his pocket after installation though haha)

Last edited by ravenls6v; 08-28-2013 at 08:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Chipping Radio Buttons, No more replacements from Lindsay?