Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

LS6 transmission pilot bearing and removal tool - pics!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS6 transmission pilot bearing and removal tool - pics!

Just wanted to share my experience with removing the pilot bearing from a LS6.

Here is a pic of the removal tool attached to the pilot bearing - job done! Of course you will be doing this on the back end of the motor. This particular tool is 2-piece. You attach the gripper into the pilot bearing and rotate the nut until it is nice and snug. Then thread in the slide hammer to the gripper. A slide hammer is pretty self explanatory...slide it to the end you want the part to come out - bang, bang, bang.

Some have mentioned grinding the ends of the gripper tool because it doesn't fit into the bearing - hmm. Pop that pin out, angle it just right and get it in there. Put that pin back in place and tighten up the gripper tool.

Trust me it works! Also take notice to the small groove in the pilot bearing, the new one goes in like the old one came out.

Here is a pic of the pilot bearing with the bearing face that you see after you pull the transmission.

Here is the backside of the bearing that you don't see...unless you pull that sucker out.

Just a quick note, when installing the new pilot bearing...put it in the freezer for awhile. Put it in a ziplock bag. It helps to shrink the metal and makes installing it with a RUBBER mallet super easy, 4-5 gentle taps and it's flush - done!

LS6 pilot bearing part#: 12557583
Autozone and Napa both rent this exact pilot bearing removal tool.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good info. I'm not looking forward to this job.

Quick Reply: LS6 transmission pilot bearing and removal tool - pics!