Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Very difficult shifting (all gears)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very difficult shifting (all gears)

Picked up an 07 V about a month ago. Apologize in advance if I missed a thread on this (I searched!!).

From day one shifting has been a little tough, but after doing some reading I planned on taking care of it with a new UUC shifter and motor mounts. Two days ago when I went out for a drive it was extremely difficult to catch any gear. Since everyday the car seems to be different, I shrugged it off to being a little worse than normal. Today it has been worse! It is very difficult to get it in any gear, moving or not, hot or cold. I literally have to slam it into gear sometimes.

I already have Revshift motor mounts on the way, and I installed the Revshift trans insert a few weeks ago.

My question is what is likely the cause? I have read that I should bleed the clutch. Doing the motor mounts doesn't scare me, but I really wanted to wait tell I bought long tubes for the install.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

Step 1. Bleed the living **** out of your hydraulics system. Get some good DOT 4, high temp brake fluid and start the bleeding process. I also highly recommend wrapping your clutch line from the master all the way to the edge of the bellhousing where the line runs to the slave with some high temp heat shielding material (tape on, velcro, etc.). Once the clutch fluid boils, it'll become darker in color and also make shifting a nightmare, especially once hot.

Let us know how it feels after bleeding it.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Both your motor mounts and trans mount were sagging. Now that you've built up your trans mount, it is more out of alignment than it was before. Over the past few weeks, the torque of the engine pulling down on the trans mount has pulled the shifter assembly even more out of wack to the transmission. That is my guess. The motor mounts should fix everything, assuming you don't also need to change your trans fluid.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:44 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^Yeah. Bleed the clutch. I bet there is almost nothing left in the reservoir and what is in there is black.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you can sit there with the motor off and go through the gears it is highly unlikely it is your trans.

I would vote clutch/bleed.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Unfortunately, I don't have time to bleed the system tonight. Per the link above I auctioned out a little bit of dirty fluid that was in the reservoir (it was below MIN and dirty). Then replaced it with new fluid. I then pressed the clutch pedal in/out roughly 45 times. Checked and the level hadn't changed and still appeared clean. Took it out for a 5 minute ride and felt no change. When I got back home the fluid was still at the same level and appeared clean.

It does shift easier in and out of gear while off, so it makes sense that it is related to the hydraulic system.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:13 PM
JDB
Launching!

You need to bleed the clutch.

And get the MMs in because now the trans is up because of the trans insert.

Also flush the trans fluid.

All good when you do these things.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You could pump on that pedal till the next day and it won't fix it as that doesn't circulate the fluid.

You need to bleed it and pump out all the old fluid.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

A bad pilot bearing can also cause this problem.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Clutch has been bled using some Motul. Problem solved!

Hasn't shifted this nicely ever (at least some I've owned it).

Quick Reply: Very difficult shifting (all gears)