Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Good Exhaust system?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Exhaust system?

Hey guys, I did a search but came to no avail on what im looking for so ill just make a thread.

Im looking to put Headers an exhaust on the V// but heres my issue. I bought this car because its smooth an quiet in the cabin. I would like to keep it that way as much as possible. A little louder is not going to bother me just as long as i can still hear my passenger talking and my radio also. You all prob know a great deal more than me about this, as far as the insulation inside of it an what have you. Can someone guide me on a cheapish good sounding exhaust system? Keeping in mind i would like to keep the interior of the car as quiet as possible. thanks in advanced!

Edit! The cars an 04 CTS-V LS6 lol
Old 10-04-2013, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you planning to cam the car eventually?
Old 10-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DACTARI
Are you planning to cam the car eventually?
No i am not. I just want to light modify it. Intake,Exhaust,Tune.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Cheapish, muffler delete with stock manifolds and cats. Won't be overly loud but, will have an ok sound.

Corsa - people have said that there is no drone, which will help with keep the interior noise levels down.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by brack86svo
Cheapish, muffler delete with stock manifolds and cats. Won't be overly loud but, will have an ok sound.

Corsa - people have said that there is no drone, which will help with keep the interior noise levels down.
Alright. The corsa option sounds a bit better. I didnt wanna go hacking up my stock exhaust. And i did a muffler delete with my trailblazer SS and it sounds ok. But i want the caddy to have a real exhaust. I thought about Cutouts but theres really no Performance gain in it. Just noise. I want a nice tone but interior noise low. How loud would pacesetter headers an say a magnaflow cat back be?
Old 10-04-2013, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

I put a magnaflow cat back on with the stock headers. I didn't have any drone in 6th gear cruising down the highway like many people have said they had, if there is any it is ever so slight and doesn't bother me, even with no radio playing. With just the catback it was very quiet at idle. Almost too quiet for an aftermarket exhaust IMO. But it gave a nice deep tone throughout the RPM band. I JUST installed pacesetter headers this past week, I am finishing up connecting them to the catback. I won't be able to drive it since I have two bad tires (one is flat from a bad TPMS sensor) but I'll let you know how it idles. I can't imagine the headers adding drone while cruising though.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

If you're not going to cam it, may I ask why you want to do headers? Is just for the sound?

Personally, I think headers and X-pipe into stock mufflers is the best, most civilized combo on an uncammed car. My car is cammed with a nice, gurgly FAST102, and my current exhaust combo is headers with stock catback. I may replace the resonator with an X-pipe, but I'm worried it will be louder than it is now and I really like it right now. It sounds great without being redic loud. IMHO, the stock muffs are essential if you want to keep the volume down. This guy nailed it:

Last edited by DACTARI; 10-04-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

stock intake, headers and magnaflow system on mine and it is super quiet when cruising. The only time there is some drone is if you have a load on the engine in low rpms going up a hill and it is not bad. In 6th gear at highways speeds there is zero drone and the car is quiet.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Teching In

If you're not going to cam it, may I ask why you want to do headers? Is just for the sound?

Personally, I think headers and X-pipe into stock mufflers is the best, most civilized combo on an uncammed car. My car is cammed with a nice, gurgly FAST102, and my current exhaust combo is headers with stock catback. I may replace the resonator with an X-pipe, but I'm worried it will be louder than it is now and I really like it right now. It sounds great without being redic loud. IMHO, the stock muffs are essential if you want to keep the volume down. This guy nailed it:

CTS-V with Kook Longtube Headers, hiflo cats, x-pipe, into stock mufflers - YouTube
Well yeah i guess headers just for the sound. this is my first RWD V8 so im a little well new on the modding part of this car. Ive done headers on my Cobalt SS when it was stock and im just basing the mods for this off of that i guess maybe its the wrong way to go about it. But i do like the sound of that in the video. that will deff be a option. an seems fairly cheap to do. Thank you for that. Now my question is will it be decently quiet inside.

stock intake, headers and magnaflow system on mine and it is super quiet when cruising. The only time there is some drone is if you have a load on the engine in low rpms going up a hill and it is not bad. In 6th gear at highways speeds there is zero drone and the car is quiet.
I will deff keep this in mind. How dose the exhaust note sound out of the car? throaty? nice basey tone to it? I'm being very picky due to the fact that i bought the car cuz its quiet INSIDE THE CABIN. an im trying to stay with that a little more noise isnt gonna hurt just dont want drone or obnoxious vibrations coming from the car. I do deff want you to hear it coming down the road or when passing you though.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

L-T headers, hi-flow cats, and Corsa passes the wife test ... just barely. Go to WOT, and it's like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Oh, yeah ... ZERO drone, too.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

If you don't want the car that loud I'd just suggest no headers....just put pacesetters on mine and it's pretttttttttty loud. I personally like it
Old 10-04-2013, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Warmachine08
Well yeah i guess headers just for the sound. this is my first RWD V8 so im a little well new on the modding part of this car. Ive done headers on my Cobalt SS when it was stock and im just basing the mods for this off of that i guess maybe its the wrong way to go about it. But i do like the sound of that in the video. that will deff be a option. an seems fairly cheap to do. Thank you for that. Now my question is will it be decently quiet inside.

I will deff keep this in mind. How dose the exhaust note sound out of the car? throaty? nice basey tone to it? I'm being very picky due to the fact that i bought the car cuz its quiet INSIDE THE CABIN. an im trying to stay with that a little more noise isnt gonna hurt just dont want drone or obnoxious vibrations coming from the car. I do deff want you to hear it coming down the road or when passing you though.
Here is my only clip of my car... I'll get a better one soon. Had my wife and baby film me drive a little loop around a parking lot... gives an idea... my car with this combo sounds amazing in person, better than the vid... people drop their jaw when I am driving around all the time. Sounds awesome outside and inside, when cruising around town it is throaty and sounds beastly but it certainly is not loud. I hate the loud mustang at my work that I can hear from inside my building when he starts up and takes off, I think he has chopped exhaust with no mufflers. Race car sound on the street is a fail.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Warmachine08
Ive done headers on my Cobalt SS when it was stock and
HeaderS on a Cobalt SS?

Maybe *a* Header, as it's only an inline 4 cylinder... unless you went through multiple sets lol
Old 10-05-2013, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

Corsa all the way,was the best switch I made,zero drone now.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by meatyCTS-V
HeaderS on a Cobalt SS?

Maybe *a* Header, as it's only an inline 4 cylinder... unless you went through multiple sets lol
Haha Yes Header only one lol. Im think i might do Kooks an stock catback. an when i want it louder then throw a corsa on it =p Or just do MN V's set up cuz i like how that sounds alot
Old 10-05-2013, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

Kooks with stock catback, if uncammed, won't sound much different from stock.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Kooks with stock catback, if uncammed, won't sound much different from stock.
Kooks magnaflow then like MN V has set up i like the sound of his car. Its not obnoxious or anything.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kook long tube header, High flow cats, and Corsa.

No drone on the freeway. Car sound stock inside until I go WOT.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here ya go. This gives an accurate sound from the outside and windows down you could say. It's probably louder than the Corsa system when on it. Seems ike they're both quiet when cruising. If you get bored of the cruising there's a little WOT action at 3:30, TCS kicked in for a bit and hung me up for a bit.

Last edited by MN_V; 10-05-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Where are you located? I might consider selling the Magnaflow cat-back off of my car since I have to get some custom work done to mate up to my Stainless Works headers.

Quick Reply: Good Exhaust system?