Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

possible head/cam upgrade prc 2.5 LS6?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 04:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default possible head/cam upgrade prc 2.5 LS6?

Hello fellas.

I'm considering a head and cam upgrade for the Cadi next year. I'm looking right now at the PRC 2.5 LS6 heads/ Texas speed 228r cam. I'm going to be getting a new oil pump as well. So here are the question...

The package has an upgrade option for a melling high volume pump oooorrrr a high pressure pump. Any guidance there as to which one would be better? The only thing the package doesn't include is new lifters which I'll probably get from BTR.

Also what do you guys think of that cam for a daily driver? I'm not looking to beat up the valvetrain. I just want a little more powa. I'd say 400whp I'd my goal here. Nothing too crazy in my opinion... But I could be wrong.

Basically the car is my daily driver and I'm trying to stay away from having to borrow my dad's car because the baby seat isn't a good addition in a vette. I know there are a lot of options when it comes to porting the stock heads. The reason these particular ones caught my eye was that they do not require a core charge. Which is rather convenient in my opinion I can get parts... Or this package and then wait till I have a free weekend to install. That way I don't have to rush. If I end up going the port my stockers route they are going to west coast cylinder heads because they are local to me.

Other notes... Car is an 04 and has around 90k on the motor, short come so the mileage doesn't go up a while lot anymore. I'm on mobile so I'm not sure if the sig comes up but I also already have stainless works 1&3/4 headers and 3 inch exhaust. And I just did new plus and wires again a few weeks ago. So that should still be fine next year when I do the heads.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

When I talked to Martin at Tick Perf, I was surprised to find the 220 trick flow heads are about the same price as the PRCs ($1776 per pair).
Old 10-28-2013, 08:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trickflow 220 As casts
Trunion Upgrade
Melling HV Pump
LS7 Lifters
LS2 Chain
New balancer (if yours is stock)
Old 10-28-2013, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I was looking at the trick flows. But according to the flow data that each website claims... The PRC heads flow slightly better. Which I was kind of surprised by. Trick Flow has been making stuff for a long time. Although the PRCs state they are using no exhaust manifold during the test so I'm not sure how much that would effect it.

Trick flow intake/exhaust 305/223cc @ .600
http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail....1&autoview=sku

PRC intake/exhaust 316/226
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-4-prc-s...ted-heads.aspx
Old 10-28-2013, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
I'm not sure how much that would effect it.

]
A lot!

If you go by what you read online then check out TEA stage 2 heads. They flow better than the PRC's and Trickflow's. There tests says they use the exhaust plate too 1 7/8" primaries.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:10 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll catch hell for this, but I'm going to say it anyhow...the PRC heads are better on paper than they actually are. If you look at the wild *** configurations they use to flow their heads (crazy bore size, no exhaust pipe, etc) it makes me wonder what they really flow. I remember a guy had a set of their stage III 317 heads and had them flowed before the "advertised" flow numbers were released and the advertised was nowhere close to the actual.

I would hit up Martin at Tick...great dude and always willing to go the extra mile. Brian Tooley is another great guy, but you have to know what you want as he's really busy. Both are great people to work with and are two of the top five (I would say) for LSx cam/head design.

Just as an FYI - the street Morel lifters are the only way to go. Save yourself the time and hassle and get the link-bar street lifters, LS2 timing chain, and LSA/LS4 oil pump ($80 compared to the Melling). I've been dealing with valvetrain noise for a while and finally have it fixed, I'll add to one of my threads soon about it.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

When I spoke to Martin, he advised the PRCs would put out 1/2 the horsepower (~20-30) the trick flows would (~50)

Like DMM says, he also advised away from the LS7 lifters b/c of their so-so tolerances causing noise - went with Brian Tooley lifters instead
Old 10-28-2013, 04:10 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

I tried the BTR SLR lifters and had a problem with one lifter (no idea which one). He comped me for a set of the Morel street lifters which I just finally had the time to install this weekend. I should have gone with the Morel's to begin with.

I have to say Brian was incredible, he supplied the gaskets free of charge and even offered to compensate me for my time. Best customer service I have heard of for performance parts.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow yea... That's why guys like BT get good reviews and return customers. I don't even mind paying a little more for good service like that. Trick flows use a 1&7/8 manifold as well according to the PDF on their site. I run 1&3/4 long tubes right now so I'm assuming that will cut the flow down a little more as well. Cool I'll pick something else then. I've been hearing some not great things about the PRCs. Guess I'll have to forego the convenience of having a set of heads I can put on whenever.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

The trick flows are no core so it should work the same for you as the PRCs
Old 10-28-2013, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you only want 400rwhp you can get there cam only and save yourself $2500. ID go with the Torquer V2 over the 228R driveability will be the same with a good tune.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
If you only want 400rwhp you can get there cam only and save yourself $2500. ID go with the Torquer V2 over the 228R driveability will be the same with a good tune.
Yea I know. But I have to take them apart anyways. I broke a valvespring a few weeks ago and got lucky it didn't drop the valve. So at some point everything is going to need to be gone through. If for nothing else than my price of mind. Plus if I take it all apart anyways, I might as well have the heads worked on or replaced. Besides, the Mrs. already gave me the nod so I certainly am not going to pass up on the free shot to drop the coin on new heads... Would you? She didn't even put up a fight about it lol. I'm going to run with it at this point. Haha
Old 10-28-2013, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea I know. But I have to take them apart anyways. I broke a valvespring a few weeks ago and got lucky it didn't drop the valve. So at some point everything is going to need to be gone through. If for nothing else than my price of mind. Plus if I take it all apart anyways, I might as well have the heads worked on or replaced. Besides, the Mrs. already gave me the nod so I certainly am not going to pass up on the free shot to drop the coin on new heads... Would you? She didn't even put up a fight about it lol. I'm going to run with it at this point. Haha
Lol i dont blame you one bit. I would go with an aftermarket head if I was dropping the cash. PRC isnt bad but there are better options.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:44 AM
D.K
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DMM
I tried the BTR SLR lifters and had a problem with one lifter (no idea which one). He comped me for a set of the Morel street lifters which I just finally had the time to install this weekend. I should have gone with the Morel's to begin with.
DMM, which Morels did you go with? I'm trying to decide between Morel 5206s/5274s and a set of Lunati 72437s at the moment. Supposedly they are the same, but for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to make my decision any easier.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by D.K

DMM, which Morels did you go with? I'm trying to decide between Morel 5206s/5274s and a set of Lunati 72437s at the moment. Supposedly they are the same, but for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to make my decision any easier.
I'm pretty sure they are the same. When you open the paperwork, they have each other's paperwork in them. I think PISNUOFF put a set in his motor. He has pics in the other forum.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98

Lol i dont blame you one bit. I would go with an aftermarket head if I was dropping the cash. PRC isnt bad but there are better options.
Yea the trick flows look nice. I . I'll probably go that route. I am just trying to make it somewhat easy on myself with going for a good set and hopefully getting a new set of heads. That way me and my buddy who is helping me can do it whenever we have a free weekend... And not on a short turn around. I will have to call Martin when I get closer to getting everything together next year. They don't list the Trick Flows 220cc As Cast on their website. Everywhere else has them for $17-1800 so that's not bad. Assuming I can get a few buck from my stockers.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

memeber the trick flows are as cast too.. so just i slight hand port to smooth up some casting marks and they will pick up some not that you will need it the as cast ports are very nice as is...
Old 10-29-2013, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by yelo04goat
memeber the trick flows are as cast too.. so just i slight hand port to smooth up some casting marks and they will pick up some not that you will need it the as cast ports are very nice as is...
At this point, I'd be happy enough with them as they come. Its not going to be a max effort motor or anything. Its just going to get a little more powa for now. Its still a daily driver.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:54 AM
D.K
On The Tree

I'm pretty sure they are the same. When you open the paperwork, they have each other's paperwork in them. I think PISNUOFF put a set in his motor. He has pics in the other forum.
I figured as much. Thanks! Now it's just a matter of finding someone that has a set of either in stock. It is odd that there's such a dramatic price difference between the 2 brands though.

Yea the trick flows look nice. I . I'll probably go that route. I am just trying to make it somewhat easy on myself with going for a good set and hopefully getting a new set of heads. That way me and my buddy who is helping me can do it whenever we have a free weekend... And not on a short turn around. I will have to call Martin when I get closer to getting everything together next year. They don't list the Trick Flows 220cc As Cast on their website. Everywhere else has them for $17-1800 so that's not bad. Assuming I can get a few buck from my stockers.
I thought about going with the As-Cast Trick Flows also, but IIRC they have bronze valve guides and aren't compatible with the stock rockers. So if you do decide to go with the Trick Flows, it's something that you'll probably want to keep in mind.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I am a huge believer in the TFS "As Cast" 220's. They are an awesome cylinder head that makes the power of the full TFS CNC head in just about every configuration I have used them in.

They are my GO TO choice of cylinder head on anything from 346 cubes all the way up to milder torque minded 408 combinations.

I order all of my TFS heads with powdered metal OEM steel guides for use with stock rockers.

With the smaller more torque minded camshafts I have in my arsenal, and these heads...you've got a 440-460rwhp/400-420rwtq combination all day every day with a LS6 intake. Toss a Fast 92/102 or even stick with the LS6 intake and watch the bigger cams get left behind in your rear view mirror.

Quick Reply: possible head/cam upgrade prc 2.5 LS6?