Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What trans fluid should I use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fweasel
We've been having temps below 15*F here lately and shifting before the trans reaches 40-50* is really a chore. While I'm not going to drain the Redline ATF because of it, I'll be going back to Dex the next time the trans requires a drain.
Misdiagnosis. You need to bleed your clutch. I've been using this mixture for the past three winters, in temperatures down to zero with nothing I would describe as "really a chore." At worst, the first shift is sticky because the synchros are dealing with a thick mixture, but after a minute or so, things are excellent.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Misdiagnosis. You need to bleed your clutch. I've been using this mixture for the past three winters, in temperatures down to zero with nothing I would describe as "really a chore." At worst, the first shift is sticky because the synchros are dealing with a thick mixture, but after a minute or so, things are excellent.
Incorrect. You failed to account for the recent dramatic flux in our ambient temps here where I drive my car, the type of driving encountered in my daily commute, and how long it takes my car to reach operating temp. My clutch hydraulics are in good working order and were recently serviced prior to auditioning trans fluids.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to work on that bedside manner thing, Fuzzy.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

So, why the magic blend of Redline fluids, and not just the D4 ATF that Redline's Application Guide says we should use? (Interestingly enough, their Application Guide specs D4ATF, rather than D6 ATF, even for the 2007 V, despite folks saying that by then GM had changed the spec to D-VI rather than D-III.)

Edit: I did find this comment in Redline's fact sheet about MTL and MT90: "In transmissions which recommend Dexron or Mercon fluids we recommend our D4 ATF which is very similar to the MTL, being a GL-4 Gear Oil also. The D4 ATF will provide better low-temperature shiftability, and the MTL would provide better wear protection for racing use."

I'm pretty sure I have Eneos ATF in mine now, but it's due to be changed. Eneos isn't a terribly common brand, but I learned of them through the Subaru world.

Last edited by AAIIIC; 12-12-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before going with the 3/1 redline mix I called them and talked to a guy there. He said it was basically fine to mix them. He said the MTL is actually quite similar but a bit thicker with more protection, with the downside of reduced driveability in cold weather. I haven't had any issues down to the mid-20s. It shifts just fine very similar to the D3 I replaced. A little pushback out of 2nd gear when I am shifting happened a couple times before I engaged the clutch again. Trany temp was 30 degrees. Not an issue. Have not had any of the issues FWeasel stated but he has seen colder temps than me.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I'll rarely see 20s where I am, so I shouldn't have any issues if you're not. I don't know that I really need to do the mix rather than straight D4 ATF, but if Redline says it's OK, I suppose it can't hurt.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:43 PM
Teching In

I know this an old thread...had some questions. I did the redline cocktail and the trans shifts smooth with no problems, however, I can smell the fluid in the cabin of the car after it gets really warm. Is anyone experiencing this? Is this normal and that it will subside after awhile? The smell is really terrible inside the cabin of the vehicle. Thanks
Old 11-25-2015, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnyj1
I know this an old thread...had some questions. I did the redline cocktail and the trans shifts smooth with no problems, however, I can smell the fluid in the cabin of the car after it gets really warm. Is anyone experiencing this? Is this normal and that it will subside after awhile? The smell is really terrible inside the cabin of the vehicle. Thanks
I think there's a breather that will overflow if it's overfilled? Should go away eventually
Old 11-27-2015, 11:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by isis
I think there's a breather that will overflow if it's overfilled? Should go away eventually
Yep. The T-56 breather tube is the black line pictured here:

Old 11-30-2015, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Default what trans fluid should I use

OK then. Ill wait and see if it subsides. I filled the trans from the top stick shift since I had removed the trans to replace my slave cylinder. Poured in the fluid until it dripped out the side fill hole. So it shouldn't be that much overfilled, I don't think. Thanks for the quick response folks.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The most optimal mixture is 3 quarts Redline D4 ATF + 1 quart Redline MTL 70W80. You can go as high as 50/50 if your transmission is really old and/or battered, but you're going to experience some additional parasitic losses due to the thicker mixture.
I've looked at Red Line's website, and it looks like the MTL is no longer available in 70W80. They show it as 75W80. Will that work for the mix?

Also, I do drive the car year round. Will the mixture work in really cold temps, say -22 Fahrenheit?

Appreciate the help!

Last edited by SashafromTO; 06-29-2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

My answer to that is no. When it is cold out you will need to drain it and run regular atf.

The mixture works good but it can be hard on the trans. You need to let it warm up (car running input shaft spinning). I won't run that mix on the street again. I will run it for track days, but that is about all.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
My answer to that is no. When it is cold out you will need to drain it and run regular atf.

The mixture works good but it can be hard on the trans. You need to let it warm up (car running input shaft spinning). I won't run that mix on the street again. I will run it for track days, but that is about all.
Are you saying you've had poor performance with the Redline cocktail on the street ? You'd only use it for the track ?
Old 06-29-2016, 06:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5

I've ran it in subzero temperatures for 3-4 winters with no discernible problems. ATF is too thin--it makes the transmission sound like a rock grinder.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TheAce
Are you saying you've had poor performance with the Redline cocktail on the street ? You'd only use it for the track ?
No. But my transmission was in **** poor shape when I had it rebuilt. So much so that a T-56 pro had never seen it so bad. So take that with a grain of salt as the trans had 70k on it with regular atf and only about 30k with the cocktail. And I didn't drive in winter (really) That was in Texas so some mornings were 40's.

I've ran it in subzero temperatures for 3-4 winters with no discernible problems. ATF is too thin--it makes the transmission sound like a rock grinder.
Sound for me didn't change much at all with the cocktail. But after reading plenty about the T-56 and having the most qualified people tell me to just run ATF.....Coupled with the fact it was designed to run ATF from the factory....has me fully believing in what I said.

The mix works great. I know that to be true. But IMO it is too hard on the trans internals unless it is warmed and thinned out.

So I stand by my original statement. For 100 degree Texas track days I will run it. But that is all.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Nik, I'm curious--which brand of ATF did you use? I switched to Mobil 1 ATF at about 12,000 miles and it sounded awful. I'm trying (and failing) to remember the guy's name now, but there was this very talented (but controversial) dude (Shane?) at Thunder Racing that drag raced his V1 and turned me onto the Redline mixture (I was buying a cam and we got talking).

If I recall correctly, the mixture was a tried-and-true formula passed down to him by older drag racers in his area. The increased viscosity is tuned to help the synchros to do their thing. Of course, the downside is that you can't redline the transmission with the thicker mix directly after a cold start, but you wouldn't do that anyway because the engine is vulnerable to the same thing.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 06-30-2016 at 12:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Joseph0284 (01-02-2023)
Old 06-30-2016, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm running ATF but I don't beat on mine that much.

What kind of noise are you guys hearing? Is this bearing roar, gear whine or engagement grind?
Old 07-01-2016, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

I ran that cocktail and it was pretty miserable shifting until the trans fluid temp got up around 50* which was well into my commute. I've since switched back to the stock dexIII and my winter performance is much better.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's currently 100 degrees here and it barely got below 50 last winter. I think I am going to try this if I ever get the thing back together!
Old 10-13-2016, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

To bring this back from the dead yet again, I changed over to Mobil 1 about 2000 miles ago. My experience is not noise. Instead it is really hard to engage gears, particularly 4th on the 3>4 upshift, and somewhat on 5>6 and 1>2 though not nearly as bad as 3>4. No grinding or anything, just like hitting a brick wall when you try to upshift into 4th. I have to shift with purpose. If I'm remotely lazy, it's not interested unless I give it a double or triple nudge.

At a stop with the clutch depressed, it shifts like butter. So what gives? I know the hydraulics are in decent shape, and this started happening shortly after I switched to Mobil 1. It feels like the sleeve/collar doesn't want to engage the blocker rings and dogs, but I don't see how a different (approved) fluid can make that big of a difference.

Thoughts? Is the friction reduced such that the blockers don't want to engage the next gear, or are my synchro assemblies on the way out and the fluid change upset the apple cart just enough to somehow push them over the edge?

I think I'm going to try Redline D4 or non-synthetic Dexron III and see if it makes it go away. Much cheaper than the alternative. Otherwise, I already have the tranny on my to-do list at some point to handle the upcoming power infusion.

Interested in your opinions, fellas.

Quick Reply: What trans fluid should I use?