Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Issue With Driveshaft Shop Driveshaft Install - Need Input

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue With Driveshaft Shop Driveshaft Install - Need Input

While replacing my differential I busted my factory driveshaft so instead of buying a new OEM one I bought a one piece Aluminum from the Driveshaft Shop. I tried to install it this weekend and ran into a major problem, the driveshaft hits the bottom of my shifter linkage. It's so bad I can't even move the shifter now.

I'm thinking the issue has to do with the Revshift Transmission Insert I have, pushing the trans up enough to cause a problem. I have a Katech short throw installed and I don't believe there is anything I can do with the shifter itself to raise it, so I'm thinking my only options are to get rid of this driveshaft or remove the trans insert.

Any thoughts on workarounds?

Last edited by etcts-v; 11-20-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is one of the reasons I'm waiting for a reasonable two piece option.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The nylon cup in your shifter assembly is flipped upside down. When you flip it the other way, you should have plenty of clearance.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, I thought they solved this problem but apparently not. There is a few threads here on how to raise the shifter. I took it to the extreme and raised it as far as possible so now it is metal to metal mounted and vibrates quite a bit more.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:42 PM
FoD
On The Tree

You should get new shifter bushings to install while you're in there.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you, Thank you! I wanted some direction before I tore everything back apart. I will work on raising the shifter, search around for some threads and throw in some new bushings at the same time. There isn't a replacement available for the nylon cup correct?

I had zero issues with the OEM driveshaft, but this guy is beefy.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

If it's not the shifter bushing thing, then I would assume yes you will either have to go backwards to a shorter trans mount, or go make a custom shifter bushing to raise the whole thing, which actually looks pretty simple... Hmmmm... Business opportunity?
Old 11-19-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Bottom line: he inverted his nylon bushing cup. It's a simple fix.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Bottom line: he inverted his nylon bushing cup. It's a simple fix.
By the pictures you are right. But even with the cup switched into the other way my shifter did not clear the two piece shaft for the 8.8 kit. So....just that cup might not solve his entire problem. For me, it would have worked if the balancing weights would not have been welded where they were. Looks like he will have my exact same problem.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
By the pictures you are right. But even with the cup switched into the other way my shifter did not clear the two piece shaft for the 8.8 kit. So....just that cup might not solve his entire problem. For me, it would have worked if the balancing weights would not have been welded where they were. Looks like he will have my exact same problem.
Good eye. That's a pretty effing stupid place to put those weights.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It's not the driveshaft.

It's not the RevShift tranny mount.

If you install the RevShift tranny insert without a good set of motor mounts, then these short throw shifts usually will hit.

This has been my experience with two cars. With the cup flipped it helps sometimes.

What motor mounts? Age of motor mounts?

You can also shim up the shifter to as a temporary fix.

The problem is these nylon cups wear and you get vertical movement.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:26 PM
Teching In

The Drive Shaft Shop is not the bad guy here. They make great products that they stand behind. They have gone way beyond good customer service for me. They have supplied over 40 drive line and axle sets for our 8.8 kits and they fix way more customer goof ups than their own---either way they just say "send it".
I had a customer call with a problem that was so self induced that I felt embarrassed to call DSS, they fixed it for free.

Bottom line: Bigger diameter drive shafts, short throw shifters and tall transmission mounts don't mix. "It's a hair splitin' affair"

The Drive Shaft Shop has earned my business and will continue to get it
Old 11-19-2013, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

the new versions of the Katech are shaved off the bottom and would clear this. I had them take material off mine. another option is to place a couple spacer on the tranny brace effectively lowering everything down. i used two spacers on all four corners until i replaced the shifter. it will at least allow you to drive the car.

you would experience this with most short throw shifters.

I have the dynatech one piece and most have had same issues.

Last edited by VeryWhiteDevil; 11-19-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MotorMounts
The Drive Shaft Shop is not the bad guy here. They make great products that they stand behind. They have gone way beyond good customer service for me. They have supplied over 40 drive line and axle sets for our 8.8 kits and they fix way more customer goof ups than their own---either way they just say "send it".
I had a customer call with a problem that was so self induced that I felt embarrassed to call DSS, they fixed it for free.

Bottom line: Bigger diameter drive shafts, short throw shifters and tall transmission mounts don't mix. "It's a hair splitin' affair"

The Drive Shaft Shop has earned my business and will continue to get it
i have the three, and like I said earlier it took some adjusting of the shifter for it to work.

Can't wait to get my new 1 piece carbon fiber shaft in!!!
Old 11-20-2013, 07:58 AM
Launching!

Just re-installed mine. I sent it back to have the weights moved since they were directly under the shifter. One of the weights had gotten knocked off by the shifter so I had a slight vibration in the car. Now that it's rebalanced the vibration is gone. They turned the driveshaft around quickly even though I was a year late shipping it back.

The short throw shifters sit lower than the stock ones. (rotation around the pivot point makes the throw shorter) I flipped the nylon bushing around (Thank you Brian) and I now have enough clearance. I have the UUC mounts.

My shifter bushings were destroyed. Shifter fells much better now that I replaced them. I used blue Loctite on all the bolts.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:39 AM
TECH Regular

i may be listing my custom STS with custom delrin lower cups..if anyone is interested, shoot me a PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have Revshift Motor Mounts, barely 5k miles on them. I'm not blaming Driveshaft Shop, they sold a product for a car with a stock shifter and trans mount of which mine is far from. It was just a shock to find such horrible clearance, I thought it may be tight but not that tight. After sleeping on it I'm ready to dig back in and just solve it!

Of course they helped you out Creative Steel, you are a large customer.. They have responded to me as well, but I'm going to just tell them the forums solved my problem and not to worry about it.

As always you guys have saved me *** quickly, every time I run into an issue like this I don't panic because I know the guys on here will show me the error in my ways and point me in the right direction!

I'll do some shimming, flip the nylon bushing around and maybe even shave off some of the lower part of the shifter and should be back in business soon hopefully. May even just pull the revshift bushing if I'm still have clearance issues.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

UPDATE: So the driveshaft shop said I could send this one back and they are sending me one of their designs they did for Creative Steel with the CV in front. +1 for top notch vendors who stand by their products and have stellar customer service, these guys kick ***!
Old 11-20-2013, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by etcts-v
UPDATE: So the driveshaft shop said I could send this one back and they are sending me one of their designs they did for Creative Steel with the CV in front. +1 for top notch vendors who stand by their products and have stellar customer service, these guys kick ***!
That is awesome!
Old 11-20-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DSS might be one of the best companies to spend money with, i dont think a platform exists that has an issue with them.

Quick Reply: Issue With Driveshaft Shop Driveshaft Install - Need Input