Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Anybody run stock mufflers in a catless exhaust setup?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody run stock mufflers in a catless exhaust setup?

Hey guys.

So I absolutely LOVE the sound of my V with the full B&B exhaust setup. I'm running the 1 3/4 LT's, with a 3" catless X pipe & catback. It sounds awesome & is the best sounding car I've ever owned, & I get compliments on it just about everyday, BUT it is starting to get annoying as a DD since it has a ton of drone, & simply for the fact that it's so loud overall, not to mention that it's also cammed. I will also add that my car has cutouts tig welded into the catback all the way near the back right before the mufflers. I know most install cutouts closer to the front, but the previous owner put them in strictly for the sound & cool factor & I actually like the current location because when opened up, it sends all the sound out the rear instead of the side.

Anyhow, I am looking into quieting down the exhaust quite a bit, but don't really want to install cats or resonators because they will pretty much defeat the purpose of the cutouts. I was wondering how it would sound with the stock mufflers in place of the HUGE B&B mufflers? I have considered regular Magnaflow as well, but not sure how much mellower those would be compared to the B&B. Since I have the cutouts, I can go loud at anytime, but it would be cool to have a quieter muffler when closed...

Thanks in advance for any info you may have..
Old 11-20-2013, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ran katech headers with no cats and the stock cat back for awhile.. you could hear the headers from the side at idle but nice and quiet out back.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:05 PM
Launching!

I'm running pacesetters with no cats and the stock cat back. I second what punishmentcycle said.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got OBX headers with the high flow catted connectors, resonator gone with an x pipe, cutouts before the mufflers like yours, and stock mufflers. Has a little growl with just the stock mufflers, but very quiet, and screams with the cutouts open. It's perfect for me.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:24 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Deceptively quite. My Magnaflow has cats and my OE has the tuning pipes. I think the OE system sounds better with all of the insulation pulled out.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:47 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys. This is the exact info I needed to hear. I might just give this a try, my other option was magnaflows, but since I already have the stock mufflers, this option is cheaper lol. Anybody have some vids or clips I can check out?
Old 11-21-2013, 08:01 PM
TECH Junkie

This isn't the best clip, but it gives a little idea. It's better if you're using upgraded speakers. Laptop speakers or phones just don't do it justice.

Last edited by BudRacing; 11-21-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BudRacing
This isn't the best clip, but it gives a little idea. It's better if you're using upgraded speakers. Laptop speakers or phones just don't do it justice.

04 CTS-V OBX Headers, Stock Mufflers, & Cutouts - YouTube
Thanks for that. Not bad at all. How does it sound during driving? any drone?
Old 11-22-2013, 02:51 AM
On The Tree

This sounds pretty sweet!
Old 11-22-2013, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

No drone here. That second clip sounded like the mufflers might have been gutted. I haven't really heard mine from outside much, but I think mine is a little quieter with virtually the same setup.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

my **** is silent but deadly with no cats and pacesetters into the stocker. i dont think i will ever get a cat back. maybe some cut outs one day but i love the grandpa's caddy sound until i push the loud pedal, and even then its not what i call loud.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just have stock manis and highflow cats but wouldn't change a thing. The best exhaust idea I've seen is for a newish Camaro, a center, dual in-dual out muffler where the resonator currently lives and J-pipes where the muffler lives to kill the drone. That seems ideal to me. No idea how to make that happen.

Quick Reply: Anybody run stock mufflers in a catless exhaust setup?