Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Help with Cradle bushings...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 07:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Cradle bushings...

what the hell is the best way of getting these damn bushings out with out using a special tool? I'd appreciate any info....I didn't take of the cradle completely just lowered it. If there is no other way of doing it with out taking it completely off I'll do that but if you know of a way please tell me.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe us a sawzall to us the old bushing sleeve out.

Just like this guy did on the rear diff bushing.

Check out this too.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...installed.html
Old 11-20-2013, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

SawZall for sure. Or a torch, but very smokey!
Old 11-20-2013, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Yea man I've been trying to use the sawzall but the angle is pretty crappy, tomorrow when the sun is out i'll get to it again, but I"m pretty sure once we cut through that sleeve it'll be pretty easy to get out.... I did it with the rear Diff bushing but this is a pain in the **** right now.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Max from Creative Steel just made a tool to remove and replace them. Hit him up...
Old 11-20-2013, 08:13 PM
Launching!

I saw that but I already started hacking the bushings...i'm going to give it another go tomorrow and if that doesn't work hopefully he has one available to rent
Old 11-20-2013, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Save yourself the grief and pull the cradle out. It makes it much easier. I used a 7/16 spade bit and drill to remove the rubber around the center part. Once that comes out then you can use the sawzall to cut the metal sleeve. Trust me much easier with it out from under the car. You can also use the torch and burn them out, if you go that route def pull the cradle out. Don't do that under the car.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:48 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used the most coarse sawzall blade I could find...it was a pruning blade IIRC. The finer the blade, it will just sit there and smoke. The coarse blade will chew right through the rubber. Once you get the center out, use the metal blade to slice the side of the sleeve and it will drop right out. Cutting through the rubber is the PITA.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DMM
I used the most coarse sawzall blade I could find...it was a pruning blade IIRC. The finer the blade, it will just sit there and smoke. The coarse blade will chew right through the rubber. Once you get the center out, use the metal blade to slice the side of the sleeve and it will drop right out. Cutting through the rubber is the PITA.
Precisely. Get a wood blade or equivalent.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:28 PM
Launching!

I'll go buy one tomorrow, I know once it hit the metal sleeve it'll pretty much give way like the diff bushing but that rubber is crazy and definitely smokes up the garage pretty bad.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:28 PM
Banned

Air hammer! I LOVE my air hammer. We have a hydraulic press and a 2 ton arbor press at the shop. I don't even mess with the presses, I just get the air hammer out with a flat chisel bit and it pops the bushing right out. I'm going to make a video showing how its done and how easy it is. Cheap air hammers are $15-$20, my higher end air hammer was $60.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Revshift
Air hammer! I LOVE my air hammer. We have a hydraulic press and a 2 ton arbor press at the shop. I don't even mess with the presses, I just get the air hammer out with a flat chisel bit and it pops the bushing right out. I'm going to make a video showing how its done and how easy it is. Cheap air hammers are $15-$20, my higher end air hammer was $60.
This
Old 11-20-2013, 11:34 PM
Launching!

that Air hammer sounds so tempting to buy. I will deff look into it. IR got some good deals the good one I saw just now was 129... very doable. BTW when you use an air hammer... do you have to take the cradle out? or can you do it from under the car easily ?
Old 11-21-2013, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Revshift
+1 for a video.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

we recently replaced the bushings in two V's... dropping the cradle makes it waaaay easier. Our process: 1/2" drill bit and drill 3 holes on each side of the bushing through the rubber, and ream them out. Using sawzall and coarse *** blade made it through the cuts real easy. Pop the center sleeve out. Then used sawzall and metal blade to cut a slit in the sleeve. Fold one edge in with a flat chisel/ screw driver... pound loose sleeve out. Air hammer sounds like the way to go, but if you dont have one then this method seems to work great.. Had each bushing out in about 6minutes.

edit: the first time we sprayed the blade with soapy water while cutting the rubber, killed the smoke and helped the saw cut easier. 2nd time we reamed the holes out bigger with the drill and the saw cut right through without water.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:31 AM
Launching!

alright about done dropping the cradle...how do you disconnect the ebrake line from the back? sorry never done this before.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

for the e-brake. we removed the first loop hanger from in front of the rear drivers wheel... which allows you to pull the cradle out a bit for easier access..on the connector piece that holds the cables together you need to bend some tabs out of the way. then with the e-brake realeased grab the connector on the back of the cradle and pull all the slack out of the line, hold the cable at that postion with an extra firm grip in one hand while allowing some slack to unhook the connections with the other hand.. hopefully that makes some sense.. without video its hard to describe.. thats my method.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by voodoochikin04
we recently replaced the bushings in two V's... dropping the cradle makes it waaaay easier. Our process: 1/2" drill bit and drill 3 holes on each side of the bushing through the rubber, and ream them out. Using sawzall and coarse *** blade made it through the cuts real easy. Pop the center sleeve out. Then used sawzall and metal blade to cut a slit in the sleeve. Fold one edge in with a flat chisel/ screw driver... pound loose sleeve out. Air hammer sounds like the way to go, but if you dont have one then this method seems to work great.. Had each bushing out in about 6minutes.

edit: the first time we sprayed the blade with soapy water while cutting the rubber, killed the smoke and helped the saw cut easier. 2nd time we reamed the holes out bigger with the drill and the saw cut right through without water.
This is defnitely the way to go, did this and it didn't take too take long...some were more a of a pain than others but got it done. Thank god I wont have to do that again, but now time to bleed the lines and take it for a test drive. Had on planning to do the front control arms but I'm calling it quits until I'm home again.
Attached Thumbnails Help with Cradle bushings...-img_20131122_125510_949.jpg  
Old 11-22-2013, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to see you got them in. I think this is going to be my Christmas break project.

Post back once you've driven it some.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:41 AM
Launching!

It's pretty nice, once you get on it you can feel the rear end just grab the road so much more. I really wish I would of just dropped the cradle from the start and got done with it in a day, that way I'd have enough time to get my front control arm bushings done. Kinda beating my self up by not buying the rear upper bushings since i had it all dropped. I still need to replace the front sway bar bushings and put the Z06 endlinks on, but that should only take a about a half hour to do...guess I'll knock that out next week.

Quick Reply: Help with Cradle bushings...