Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

2004 CTS-V vs 2001 bmw M3

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 CTS-V vs 2001 bmw M3

So i got the CTS-V about 6 months ago, its put away for the winter and i do love the car, but an opportunity has arisen for me to trade it for a 2001 E46 M3. My car has 68k kms (canadian) and the M3 has 90k. both 6 speed manual.
I did my high performance course last year in the wrx i had at the time and was looking forward to tracking the CTS-V.
My problem comes down to i dont have the money to get a 8.8 rear end in the car as i paid a bit for the CTS. I plan on getting a version IV diff for it as even though the car only has 68k on it the diff is on its last legs. Been whining bad since i got it with 57k on it.

I am wondering if it would be better for me to trade for the M3 as it initially looks like it would be a better track car from what i have read the last few days. That being said, alot of it has been on bmw forums.
I wanted people here to weigh in to see their opinions.

I should add, My car is completely stock with the exception of Poly rear subframe bushings, and anti hop bar and diff bracket.
The M3 has the following:
2001 BMW M3 6 speed manual, car comes with CSL carbon diffuser, aftermarket headers, Bline carbon intake, new brakes, new motor mounts, every bushing replaced over summer, all bmw parts always used Castrol 10w 60 oil, bilstein coilovers, front strut bar, newer led tail lights, UUC rear control arms

Thank You in advance for any feedback i get as this may happen soon and my decision will be based on what i can find.
Not a great time of year for it as my car is put up in storage for the winter right now, but have to decide soon.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

I'd pass on the BMW. No matter how many upgrades it has it is still 3 years older with more miles and a platform that is known for subframe issues.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:21 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless there's an LS conversion done to the M, don't even consider it.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way I would get the M3 over the V. I having driven them both I prefer my V in 90% of situations. If I tracked a car every single weekend and also daily drove it, no question, M3. But since I make it to the track maybe 3 times a year at most... The V is far better.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

a 2009 m3 in a heartbeat....2001 no.

edit: the e46 interior is years better than the mess we have though
Old 12-29-2013, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Am I the only one that likes our interiors? It's comfortable and ready for business. Also cold and mean.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Teching In

I like our interiors too, never thought someone would they r ugly or didn't like them
Old 12-29-2013, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Co-worker has a 2010 Audi I ride in all the time and other than it having a lot more buttons and better looking radio I wouldn't say it's much better.

Here's an '01 M3. Can't say that's an improvement over even a V1.

Last edited by MN_V; 12-29-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

well to each his own, but our interior is functional...but in 2013 its far from good looking.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
well to each his own, but our interior is functional...but in 2013 its far from good looking.
I like the v1 interior better. The v2 interior looks like they tried too hard. And plastic fake wood has to be the stupidest thing ever
Old 12-29-2013, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by StretchASU
I'd pass on the BMW. No matter how many upgrades it has it is still 3 years older with more miles and a platform that is known for subframe issues.
That's pretty much what I would say, too. But if you're interested in the M3, then I would say you owe it to yourself to drive it. Both cars are in the same realm (can go from comfortable cruiser one day to track attack the next), but they go about their performance in different ways. It's up to you to decide which style you prefer, and the only way to figure that out (IMO) is to drive the M3.

Last edited by AAIIIC; 12-29-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

I doubt you'd need 8.8 for road course / autox. You'd probably need it for a drag strip, but doesn't sound like thats your plan... so why replace?
Old 12-29-2013, 10:01 PM
Teching In

yea, i gotta go get a look at it. Unfortunately due to the snow, wont be any driving anytime soon. I appreciate all the feedback, keep it coming.
I dont get to the track alot, well last year was the first time and it was only once, but traded in the wrx for the cts-v and have to change diff before i tried it.
I drove the CTS on a 5k road trip from NS to NL and back this summer and it was real nice to travel in, even with the whining of the diff.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by odthetruth
I doubt you'd need 8.8 for road course / autox. You'd probably need it for a drag strip, but doesn't sound like thats your plan... so why replace?
Diff whin's pretty bad since i got the car, and after fluid change now sounds like clutch disks are sticking when i take slow turns.
oh and as for track, id love to supercharge it and take it down the drag strip, The last car i took down the drag strip was my turbo is300 and blew transmission first pass. lol

Last edited by cliffyh; 12-29-2013 at 10:06 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 12-29-2013, 10:30 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

You need to drain and refill your diff with Redline. I used Royal Purple in my Gen IV and it sounded like crap also...Redline fluid fixed it. They have some good ****.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DMM
You need to drain and refill your diff with Redline. I used Royal Purple in my Gen IV and it sounded like crap also...Redline fluid fixed it. They have some good ****.
I Actually put Amsoil in it without additive as i was told it wasnt needed. I plan to get a bottle of additive to put in with it. Or well actually may just get a IV gen diff installed when i take it out from hibernation.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cliffyh
I Actually put Amsoil in it without additive as i was told it wasnt needed. I plan to get a bottle of additive to put in with it. Or well actually may just get a IV gen diff installed when i take it out from hibernation.
Man you need additives. Dealer put a 4th gen diff in mine and the genius thought the additives were already in the fluid, but I had real bad groaning at low speed turns and they dug into their books and admitted they forgot the diff additive. Threw a bottle in and the diff been quiet ever since. Same symptoms as you.

Also, someone said it right, no need for a solid rear end if you are at the track. Honestly, I just had the CS diff bushing/block, new trans mount and motor mounts installed and magically I haven't had it barely hop since, even in the rain. I know someone on here will probably pipe in and say that's impossible, but since the clutch has broken in I decided to launch it a few times and had very minimal hop.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

Diff whin's pretty bad since i got the car, and after fluid change now sounds like clutch disks are sticking when i take slow turns.
oh and as for track, id love to supercharge it and take it down the drag strip, The last car i took down the drag strip was my turbo is300 and blew transmission first pass. lol
My diffs been whining for a few years already. Tried heavier 75w140 weight, then recently switched to Redline 75w140 and same ****. I'm confident its not going to implode on me anytime soon (hopefully, now that i want to mention **** like that. lol)
Old 12-30-2013, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advise. I am getting a KAR III kit actually. I do like to go sideways every now and again it what scares me, or did in my lexus. I havnt beat on the car at all cause i know the potential for the diff to explode.
I am hoping with the poly subframe bushings, a new IV gen diff and the KAR kit, i will be able to settle my cravings to go side ways.

One thing i dont like about the CTS-V is how hard it is to find a set of rims for cheap. Id like to get a set of 19s or even 20s, but nowhere local has them.

Originally Posted by 1yakini
Man you need additives. Dealer put a 4th gen diff in mine and the genius thought the additives were already in the fluid, but I had real bad groaning at low speed turns and they dug into their books and admitted they forgot the diff additive. Threw a bottle in and the diff been quiet ever since. Same symptoms as you.

Also, someone said it right, no need for a solid rear end if you are at the track. Honestly, I just had the CS diff bushing/block, new trans mount and motor mounts installed and magically I haven't had it barely hop since, even in the rain. I know someone on here will probably pipe in and say that's impossible, but since the clutch has broken in I decided to launch it a few times and had very minimal hop.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the advise. I am getting a KAR III kit actually. I do like to go sideways every now and again it what scares me, or did in my lexus. I havnt beat on the car at all cause i know the potential for the diff to explode.
I am hoping with the poly subframe bushings, a new IV gen diff and the KAR kit, i will be able to settle my cravings to go side ways.

One thing i dont like about the CTS-V is how hard it is to find a set of rims for cheap. Id like to get a set of 19s or even 20s, but nowhere local has them.
There's only a handful of manufacturers that make non-ghetto wheels for the V and there's good links to all of them here on the forum. For 19s check out the forgestar options, or team dynamics on ebay or http://www.wheeldude.com/catalog/ind...?cPath=457_458

Quick Reply: 2004 CTS-V vs 2001 bmw M3