Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Won't Start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't Start!!!

Hi Guys (and Gals),

I have a 2006 V with 74k that I bought 3 years ago with 46k on the clock. It has run like a champ other than needing the normal motor mounts and rear diff bushing replaced.

However, after driving the car December 17th with zero issues, I parked it in the garage, went on vacation, and when I came back it would not start. It cranks strong as it has a new battery this year and shows 11.7 amps on the info screen. I feared mice had chewed wiring as I live in the country and this happened to my transam last year but I can't find anything out of place. I have checked every fuse and I am not showing any codes on my scanner. What obvious trouble areas should I look at or test next? I don't have a problem taking it to my mechanic but I don't want it towed since it is lowered and I'll have to buy a winch to get it in my trailer to get it to him.

Last, it has fuel in it (1/8+ tank on level ground), my garage was locked while I was gone so I don't think anyone could have messed with it, and when I first turn the key it stumbles like it is about to fire and then continues cranking for about 5 seconds even if I let off the key.

Thanks to all the experts who have been here and have advice.

Jenks
Old 12-29-2013, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No help with your issue, but the continued cranking after you release the key is by design. The starter is programmed to stay engaged until the engine fires or about 5ish seconds, whichever comes first.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You might tray adding more gas... 1/8th of a tank means your empty but it doesn't want to flash a warning light at you yet.

If that doesn't work, start with the basics, fuel, air, spark...
Old 12-29-2013, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

"11.7 amps on the info screen."

11.7 volts? That not enough to start a car. Jump the car.

If I let my car sit for more than 5 day, I put the car on the charger.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would try charging it even though I think it sounds like a fueling issue. When you turn the key to accessory mode can you hear the fuel pump prime?
Old 12-30-2013, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I guess it can't hurt to throw it on a charger, but to me, if it's got enough juice to roll the engine over for 5 seconds (presumably multiple times), then it's not a battery issue. In my experience it doesn't take much for the engine to start - I've started engines when the battery barely had enough juice to turn it over.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
I guess it can't hurt to throw it on a charger, but to me, if it's got enough juice to roll the engine over for 5 seconds (presumably multiple times), then it's not a battery issue. In my experience it doesn't take much for the engine to start - I've started engines when the battery barely had enough juice to turn it over.
This. It sounds like a fueling issue. Turn the key to the on position, listen for the fuel pump priming. Check pressure at the rail.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If not fueling maybe a crankshaft position sensor or the wires going into that plug? I had one go on my old 98 Camaro and it had the same symptoms, would turn over but wouldn't start. I'm sure the ls2 is different, just a thought.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 05CTSV
If not fueling maybe a crankshaft position sensor or the wires going into that plug? I had one go on my old 98 Camaro and it had the same symptoms, would turn over but wouldn't start. I'm sure the ls2 is different, just a thought.
The car will run with a crank position sensor, just REALLY shitty especially if it's cammed. If you can, check your fuel pressure it should be around or above 55.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

Charge battery, add extra fuel in car.... seperate a spark plug cable but hold it near and have someone crank and check for spark. If you're getting spark, then the issue is fuel.

I had a very very very similar issue where every 2 weeks or so, the car would decide not to start at all, then I would have it towed, and then eventually it'd start back up again. I ran an upgraded fuel pump harness from racetronix.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by z28SSilvest
The car will run with a crank position sensor, just REALLY shitty especially if it's cammed. If you can, check your fuel pressure it should be around or above 55.
I thought the car would be hard starting and run shitty with a bad camshaft position sensor. I'm pretty sure the crank position sensor would keep the car from starting. It's the one above the starter, close to the dirt where mice like to play.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stone17
"11.7 amps on the info screen."

11.7 volts? That not enough to start a car. Jump the car.

If I let my car sit for more than 5 day, I put the car on the charger.
No offense man but that's not true. While a recently charged batter may show 12-12.5V, 11.7V on a sitting battery is very normal and fully capable of starting a car. When I used to run stereos at get togethers I'd have my radar detector set to alarm at 10.5V and that was my key to go start the car. It cranks more sluggishly but started everytime.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Obviously I meant 11.7 volts, not amps... I may have had a cocktail or 2 in me when I typed that, but I understand electrical and 11.7 is plenty and it is cranking hard.

I think it's a fuel issue, probably fuel pump, but just wanted to make sure 15 of you didn't say "yah, this sensor fails all the time and..."

Thanks for all the advice. I'll dig deeper and am not pressed for time as it is not my daily driver.

Jenks
Old 12-30-2013, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fweasel
No help with your issue, but the continued cranking after you release the key is by design. The starter is programmed to stay engaged until the engine fires or about 5ish seconds, whichever comes first.
Thank you. This is one of the main items I wanted addressed.

Quick Reply: Won't Start!!!