Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

alradco radiator overheating?

Old 01-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alradco radiator overheating?

Hey guys I posted on the caddy forums too but figured I might get an answer here too. I'm having a problem wiyh my first gen. Is alradcos radiator high flow? And can the stock pump flow enough through it for the system to work properly?

Car overheated the other night. I was cruising about 60, it was maybe 45 degrees out, and I noticed the temp was at 233. Within 1 min it was 250 and I was on the side of the road. I waited till it cooled to about 190 and drove the last mile or so home (temp got back to 244). So I take it to the shop (im thinking its the 160 t stat) and the guy calls me today saying he doesnt think the tstat was stuck but maybe its intermittent. And maybe my problem is the pump can't flow enough for the system to work properly so im getting hot spots. He says if its high flow eventually ill have problems even if this problem is the t stat. Ive put 4k miles on the car since the swap so I'd think this cant be why my car overheated so hot, so fast, all of the sudden. Especially under those conditions.

I know some of you know more than you probably should, can anyone give me some insight? Anyone have or hear of the "stock waterpump cant flow enough" problem (ls6)? Is the radiator even high flow?
Old 01-06-2014, 07:05 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have yet to find a 160* stat that is not junk for our application. Replace the stat.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with DMM. Thermostat

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: alradco radiator overheating?