Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

2005 Cadillac CTS-V Exhaust - Idle & Revs

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2005 Cadillac CTS-V Exhaust - Idle & Revs

Was testing out a new shotgun microphone on my Canon for the first time, so what better way to sound test it than with the Cadillac. Nothing fancy, just an idea of what Pacesetter headers, no cats, Magnaflow mufflers and the mods listed in my signature sound like.

It was a nice cold morning in Northwest Florida.

Let me know what you think.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I think your car looks good, but I think your shotgun microphone might be too sensitive when pointed directly at the exhaust. It sounds like it's clipping a little bit..hard to tell against the rasp of the Magnaflow.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
I think your car looks good, but I think your shotgun microphone might be too sensitive when pointed directly at the exhaust. It sounds like it's clipping a little bit..hard to tell against the rasp of the Magnaflow.
I have a program installed on my Canon body called Magic Lantern which allows quite a bit more adjustment than what the Canon hardware offers. I had my audio gain turned up two stops too many. Had I of turned down the gain, the revs would of been captured with much more clarity.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Love the sound of your car man, that cam sounds great!
Old 01-11-2014, 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What body are you using ML with? Just curious. I shoot with a 7D crop.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

we still need to figure out why your car is puking blue smoke out of the exhaust.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RADEoN
we still need to figure out why your car is puking blue smoke out of the exhaust.
Agreed. Personally, I think he needs new valve seals. Fel-Pro SS71039. I bought extras when I did my cam and valvetrain--it's easy to damage one if it's your first time. It's also a good idea to drop an extra $100 on a Comp Cams 5462 twin valve spring compressor. Having the right tool is usually the difference between a task being aggravating and easy. In this case, being able to do two valve springs at the same time really speeds up the job.

Once you get done, clean up those exhaust tips with something... I personally like Mothers 05212. It's a little runny, though. Once you get the bulk of the soot out, you need to apply a second coating and let it sit in the pipe for a couple of minutes to let the chemicals work on the hard spots. For extreme problems, try Simichrome, but be careful.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 01-11-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RADEoN
Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Agreed. Personally, I think he needs new valve seals. Fel-Pro SS71039. I bought extras when I did my cam and valvetrain--it's easy to damage one if it's your first time. It's also a good idea to drop an extra $100 on a Comp Cams 5462 twin valve spring compressor. Having the right tool is usually the difference between a task being aggravating and easy. In this case, being able to do two valve springs at the same time really speeds up the job.

Once you get done, clean up those exhaust tips with something... I personally like Mothers 05212. It's a little runny, though. Once you get the bulk of the soot out, you need to apply a second coating and let it sit in the pipe for a couple of minutes to let the chemicals work on the hard spots. For extreme problems, try Simichrome, but be careful.

Here's what I've done so far to alleviate some of the oil burning and leaking issues. Both valve cover gaskets were spewing oil out the sides of them so I just replaced them. The next step was installing a catch can after seeing oil around the pcv port at the intake manifold and pulling my throttle body to fine oil puddled in the intake.

It has been raining and/or wet for the past week or so, so I haven't really had the chance to go do any WOT 3rd gear pulls to see if it still smoke trails like it previously did. I know an obvious way to really determine where my problem lies is within a leakdown test. Just don't have access to a reliable compressor at the time.

Fuzzy, if it was a valve seal or seals, wouldn't my symptoms be around a startup after the motor had sat for a period of time, or around prolonged idle? The only time I'm really getting that blue oil burning smoke is when I'm WOT in a longer gear, such as 3rd or 4th. It does smoke occasionally in the upper RPMS in 2nd, but not nearly like 3rd or 4th. I want to see what the catch can and valve cover gaskets will do before I throw any other parts into it.

Feel free to recommend where I should start digging into it and what to look for during the process. I'm just hoping it's something that can be fixed without pulling the short block.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Fweasel
What body are you using ML with? Just curious. I shoot with a 7D crop.
That was shot using a T2i body with a 24-105 L lens & a Rode shotgun mic.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tmonttt
That was shot using a T2i body with a 24-105 L lens & a Rode shotgun mic.
Nice. I have a Sony SLT-A65 (I wanted 1080p @ 60 fps with autofocus) with a Rode Videomic Pro, Rycote Lyre mount, and a Deadcat. A friend of mine is borrowing it right now (otherwise I'd shoot an example video), but I've had similar issues controlling the gain off the mic. My intention is to eventually pick up a Camtree G-51 (best price) and use this thing like a very nice GoPro.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 01-11-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:43 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're having issues with burning oil, I'd bet on your PRC heads (valve guides specifically). It's possible you could have washed your rings if you were running way too rich for too long. How'd you do with your tune?
Old 01-24-2014, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmonttt

I have a program installed on my Canon body called Magic Lantern which allows quite a bit more adjustment than what the Canon hardware offers. I had my audio gain turned up two stops too many. Had I of turned down the gain, the revs would of been captured with much more clarity.
ML is a great camera hack. Most do it for the video but the longer exposures are great for night shots..

Quick Reply: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V Exhaust - Idle & Revs