Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

How much noise is "normal"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much noise is "normal"?

I have an 05 V w/ 65k on it. I just had the rear bushings replaced and the drivetrain feels way better. Although, it seems that I notice the whine a tad more and also when shifting, I feel like the exchange between gears is much more audible. I don't have any actual issues in any shifting or driving. Is it normal for these cars/transmissions?
Old 01-16-2014, 08:50 AM
Teching In

I too have an 05 V with 109k on it, When i first got it i noticed how noisy the transmission/driveline,Rear End is. When i test drove my car i thought i was going to have to spend quite a bit of money to get the clunk stopped. After driving the v for about 4 months now i can now drive it around with zero clunk or transmission noise. You just gotta become one with your v and youll do good. If the whine becomes very noticeable you might wanna take it to a dealership and get a second opinion.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 05V(570)
I too have an 05 V with 109k on it, When i first got it i noticed how noisy the transmission/driveline,Rear End is. When i test drove my car i thought i was going to have to spend quite a bit of money to get the clunk stopped. After driving the v for about 4 months now i can now drive it around with zero clunk or transmission noise. You just gotta become one with your v and youll do good. If the whine becomes very noticeable you might wanna take it to a dealership and get a second opinion.
Thanks. The whine is noticeable. I had a GTO before this, and it whined and the rear diff was bad, but this is different pitch almost. Higher. I don't seem to have any other issues, though.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mild83
I have an 05 V w/ 65k on it. I just had the rear bushings replaced and the drivetrain feels way better. Although, it seems that I notice the whine a tad more and also when shifting, I feel like the exchange between gears is much more audible. I don't have any actual issues in any shifting or driving. Is it normal for these cars/transmissions?
I replaced all my bushings with revshift polly stuff (05 v 64k mi) I now have a whine. I believe the harder bushings allow sound to travel more. Also my tranny linkage is noisier. And I have some clunkage goin on. My suspicion is thats the driveline. I think replacing the fluids would help. But thats just kinda how it is I guess
Old 01-16-2014, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 253ctsv
I replaced all my bushings with revshift polly stuff (05 v 64k mi) I now have a whine. I believe the harder bushings allow sound to travel more. Also my tranny linkage is noisier. And I have some clunkage goin on. My suspicion is thats the driveline. I think replacing the fluids would help. But thats just kinda how it is I guess
That pretty much describes exactly what I'm hearing/feeling. I expected a bit more buzz from the poly, just wanted to see what other's feedback was.
Thanks!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

can't rule out a wheel bearing either
Old 01-17-2014, 09:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RADEoN
can't rule out a wheel bearing either
A wheel bearing would have a constant noise that increases at a linear rate in direct relation to speed. Doesn't sound like that's the case here. It just sounds like normal rear end whine that is now audible due to the stiffer bushings.

Is the whine change when accelerating, decelerating, and coasting? If so, it's definitely the rear.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Forcfed93
A wheel bearing would have a constant noise that increases at a linear rate in direct relation to speed. Doesn't sound like that's the case here. It just sounds like normal rear end whine that is now audible due to the stiffer bushings.

Is the whine change when accelerating, decelerating, and coasting? If so, it's definitely the rear.
I'll have to go drive it again, haven't had the oppurtunity to since Sunday for just a bit. I'll take it out this weekend.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine whines when you are on the gas and stops when you let off. Direct opposite of my suby with the urethane diff bushings. (Those were in the back of the diff not the front so it makes sense)
Old 01-17-2014, 10:01 PM
Teching In

I have the same issue, its so annoying on the highway. Does anybody know if replacing it with a newer diff (2006 or 2007) fixes the whine? Most people say that just changing the fluids won't fix the whine. Do the GForce or Creative Steel diffs whine also?
Old 01-18-2014, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It doesn't bother me that much. I've read that sound deadener in the trunk tub helps decrease the noise inside the car. I'll probably start there.

Quick Reply: How much noise is "normal"?