Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Competitive Driving Mode...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 01:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Competitive Driving Mode...

Ok, so this not the standard Comp Mode question. I know the issue of the DIC/Radio being replaced and the tech not reflashing with a Tech II for the V model. So I went to my local dealership to talk with them about this. The service guy said it would be a standard charge of $95 no matter if it worked or not. That is nuts! I told them I cant justify paying that. So I have a couple questions regarding this for you all...

1. We looked up and found the warranty record where the radio was replaced in 2006 at a dealership in Kentucky, I have all the information. The local service guy gave me the service record number and details to trace it back to them. Could I call the dealership that did the replacement to get them to cover the cost to fix it considering fact that their technician did not install correctly? Saving the $95 fee...

2. Even though the DIC will not say Competitive Driving Mode, will the system still do it? WIll the computer recognize the fact that I hit the TC buttong twice?

I cant see me having to pay $95 to correct something that the dealership should have done in the first place...
Old 01-17-2014, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TriGuy
Could I call the dealership that did the replacement to get them to cover the cost to fix it considering fact that their technician did not install correctly? Saving the $95 fee...
You can try...?
Originally Posted by TriGuy
2. Even though the DIC will not say Competitive Driving Mode, will the system still do it? WIll the computer recognize the fact that I hit the TC buttong twice?
Yes, I can vouch for that personally.

The way to be sure is to go into the settings (somewhere) and see if you have "SW button" (or something along that line) settings available.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yet again, why would you want too? If you think you are talented enough to drive using your right foot then why are you not talented enough to know how to use the brake? Competitive driving mode is a joke. Go to any race day, or HPDE school and they will all tell you to turn it off. Unless of course you are just a terrible driver and they feel unsafe with you behind the wheel. In which case then just leave the whole system on. Stability control will not save you from idiocy. Hope that is not too blunt!
Old 01-17-2014, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Yet again, why would you want too?...Hope that is not too blunt!
As a counterpoint, I ran in CDM at Sears Point because it was raining cats and dogs.

When it dried out, I liked the CDM stepping in as a reminder that I was overdriving... when I got smooth and fast, stability didn't even come on anymore. In fact, I had a session where I didn't even notice that I forgot to go from full-on to CDM.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:35 PM
Launching!

Yet again, why would you want too? If you think you are talented enough to drive using your right foot then why are you not talented enough to know how to use the brake? Competitive driving mode is a joke. Go to any race day, or HPDE school and they will all tell you to turn it off. Unless of course you are just a terrible driver and they feel unsafe with you behind the wheel. In which case then just leave the whole system on. Stability control will not save you from idiocy. Hope that is not too blunt!
No worries. I am a good driver but not the best out there, still learning the whole sliding around turns ans such. The foxbody I have I can control pretty well but the V responds very different which has made me scared to try to hard...would be nice as Kyle242GT said to have a little reminder to back off in the heat of the moment...

If it still works even though the DIC does not come up and say it I may not worry too much about it. As long as it still works correctly...It would be nice for it to work properly especially since a GM technician installed it incorrectly, would be good for GM to handle it but I am not holding my breathe. Just asking if anyone else has been charged a fee for having this done?
Old 01-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Launching!

Just checked and yes there is a SWC button on the settings and pops up the 1,2,3,4 button options to change them...
Old 01-17-2014, 04:24 PM
Launching!

P.S. My local Stealership wants $95 to do the firmware update as well!!! That is nuts!!!
Old 01-17-2014, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

My CTS base model radio was flashed with my VIN, but I don't think it was properly setup for the V model. I get DIC messages for stability control and traction, but no messages for competitive driving mode. I do know that CDM is being properly engaged because the second tap on the TC button in 5 seconds does not turn off the TC idiot light, which means CDM has been engaged.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Yet again, why would you want too?
Because it's an added level of safety would be the obvious answer. In low grip situations - cold or wet - I use CDM, or even full stability control (if it's cold and wet). CDM is very non-intrusive - about the only time it steps in is if I grab a big chunk of curbing/rumble strip, something I try to avoid doing during low grip sessions anyway. Unless you're using abrupt inputs or generally pushing the car harder than would be warranted at an HPDE it shouldn't impact your driving enjoyment at all, yet it's there as a "just in case". It definitely saved my bacon at Pacific Raceways a few years back in the rain.

If you think you are talented enough to drive using your right foot then why are you not talented enough to know how to use the brake?
I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean.

Competitive driving mode is a joke. Go to any race day, or HPDE school and they will all tell you to turn it off.
Nobody's talking about racing, so I'm not sure what a race day has to do with this. As for HPDEs, I can't say I've ever heard of an instructor that would tell a driver to turn off stability control. They might recommend it, particularly if the driver is experienced, but every instructor I know would leave it up to the student to decide whether they're comfortable with it or not.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Because it's an added level of safety ...
Unless you're using abrupt inputs or generally pushing the car harder than would be warranted at an HPDE it shouldn't impact your driving enjoyment at all, yet it's there as a "just in case".

As for HPDEs, I can't say I've ever heard of an instructor that would tell a driver to turn off stability control.

I interpreted CDM staying out of the way as a compliment to smoothness.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Because it's an added level of safety would be the obvious answer. In low grip situations - cold or wet - I use CDM, or even full stability control (if it's cold and wet). CDM is very non-intrusive - about the only time it steps in is if I grab a big chunk of curbing/rumble strip, something I try to avoid doing during low grip sessions anyway. Unless you're using abrupt inputs or generally pushing the car harder than would be warranted at an HPDE it shouldn't impact your driving enjoyment at all, yet it's there as a "just in case". It definitely saved my bacon at Pacific Raceways a few years back in the rain.
If safety was the concern in cold or wet situations then why would the ability to spin the rear wheels be beneficial? Maybe I'm not understanding what all CDM does but to my understanding it simply removes traction control and leaves on stability? I know that if it was wet at a track day I would leave the entire system on.

I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean.
That means that CDM allows you to steer around corners by breaking the wheels free. In essence, drifting. As CDM will only apply the brake when it needs to. I know that in slow tight snake type corners I can easily make the *** end of the car move where I want it to with my right foot.

Nobody's talking about racing, so I'm not sure what a race day has to do with this. As for HPDEs, I can't say I've ever heard of an instructor that would tell a driver to turn off stability control. They might recommend it, particularly if the driver is experienced, but every instructor I know would leave it up to the student to decide whether they're comfortable with it or not.
If we are not talking about racing and just daily driving then my opinion would be just leave it on. No one needs a V being Daily driven in CDM?

As for the HDPE instructors due to liability issues of course they will never tell you to turn it off.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I really wish there was a like button over here, a few of the latest post would have lot of likes...
Old 01-19-2014, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

AAIIIC did you go to Pacific raceways in kent wa?
Old 01-21-2014, 01:25 PM
Teching In

I am no expert but I have a few track days under my belt and I always had Comp Driving Mode on as a safety net. My V was the only car my girlfriend and I had and I felt better with it on and it really did not intrude that much. Now we have a gti (just purchased last week) as a daily and I will probably explore driving without it but just because you use it doesn't make you a terrible driver.

Back on topic, when I first got my V, The DIC never would display anything when I tapped the TC button twice but I could tell a pretty noticeable difference in the stability control not interfering as much. So it indeed works, it just did not display. For what ever reason, it displays now (could have been fixed when I had some warranty work done a few months ago).
Old 01-21-2014, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Choppa'
just because you use it doesn't make you a terrible driver.
No one ever said it made you a terrible driver.

My thought on it is if you feel you can manage the car better with out traction control and just stability it confuses me.

The way I learned how to drive cars was first find it's ability (and yours) or the cars limits of traction in a large parking lot, then learn to play with the throttle and using it to your advantage. Not the other way around.

I see it time and time again people hopping in sports cars and turning them around into a ditch/curb/cars by just using their right foot.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by serik21
AAIIIC did you go to Pacific raceways in kent wa?
Yes, a few times. I was stationed in Bangor/Bremerton from early '08 to early '10 and did a few events at Pacific with Proformance Racing School. I think I did 2 in the CTS-V and 1 in my Subaru? Or maybe they were all in the V, I can't remember. Those were my first track events in the V. I also went with the Proformance guys down to Portland Intl and Oregon Raceway Park in the V. PIR was pretty boring, but Pacific Raceways and ORP were both lots of fun.

Maybe I'm not understanding what all CDM does but to my understanding it simply removes traction control and leaves on stability?
It leaves stability control on, but it relaxes the limits so the system won't step in as frequently. For instance, a mid-corner bump under acceleration that would trigger the normal stability control won't trigger CDM. It also allows more yaw...
I know that in slow tight snake type corners I can easily make the *** end of the car move where I want it to with my right foot.
And that's why CDM can be useful. Full stability control won't let you change the attitude of the car with throttle much at all, whereas CDM will.

If safety was the concern in cold or wet situations then why would the ability to spin the rear wheels be beneficial?
Even with all the electrical nannies on, you can still spin the wheels, so that's not a particularly useful metric.

That means that CDM allows you to steer around corners by breaking the wheels free. In essence, drifting.
Well, hopefully you aren't doing it by actually breaking the wheels free and drifting, as that would be the slow way to get around the corner. You can get on the gas without breaking the tires loose; the additional acceleration load changes the slip angle of the rear tires, and causes the car to rotate.

As CDM will only apply the brake when it needs to.
As opposed to full stability control, which brakes *****-nilly?

If we are not talking about racing and just daily driving then my opinion would be just leave it on.
I agree, but there's nothing about daily driving in my statement that you quoted. There is a middle ground between daily driving and racing, and that is HPDE/track days/whatever you want to call it. That's what I addressed in my comment - a driver at an HPDE (which is not the same thing as a race day) can definitely find CDM to be useful.

As for the HDPE instructors due to liability issues of course they will never tell you to turn it off.
I know that if it was wet at a track day I would leave the entire system on.
Which is exactly what you've been saying all along. Oh, wait...
Old 01-21-2014, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

No one ever said it made you a terrible driver.
Right, you only asked why anyone would want to use CDM, called the system a joke (even though you then said you didn't know what it does), and said they'd tell you to turn it off at an HPDE unless you were such a terrible driver that the instructor felt safer with it on.

The way I learned how to drive cars was first find it's ability (and yours) or the cars limits of traction in a large parking lot, then learn to play with the throttle and using it to your advantage. Not the other way around.
What does any of that have to do with using or not using CDM?
Old 01-21-2014, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Right, you only asked why anyone would want to use CDM, called the system a joke (even though you then said you didn't know what it does), and said they'd tell you to turn it off at an HPDE unless you were such a terrible driver that the instructor felt safer with it on.

What does any of that have to do with using or not using CDM?
I simply said correct me if I'm wrong. I knew what it did, what I didn't know is it "relaxes" the stability a little. So thanks for the correction. I have had several instructors in the car with me at different events now and almost all have told me to turn it off because they see when it activates on the screen. I had one tell me that another guy he instructed in a different class; he would never tell him to turn it off so...
Old 01-21-2014, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

This discussion never takes place on Viper forums*

Edit: Does the new Viper finally have Stability and traction control?
Old 01-21-2014, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

This discussion never takes place on Viper forums*

Edit: Does the new Viper finally have Stability and traction control?
Yep, I believe it was mandated. My Uncle has one of the last nanny free ACR Voodoo vipers built and that car is a handful.

Quick Reply: Competitive Driving Mode...