Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Buyers Remorse?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Buyers Remorse?

Hey guys,

I recently picked up an 07 Ls2 CTSv and I think I am having a bit of buyers remorse. I probably should have researched a bit more but the car was so clean and the G8 I test drove 30 minutes before was a POS.

Now that I am researching a bit more, I am seeing it takes a ton of money to make these things go fast. I figured with an LS2 6 speed the car would be pretty easy to go fast but there are plenty of supercharged/bolt on ones only running mid to high 12s. The same goes for H/C setups.

I am just debating if its worth it to start modding or if I should trade it in and cut my losses before I really get into it. My other though is to just keep it stock until I can find a V2 or something else for a decent price.

I am looking for something rather responsive to mods and here is my "short" list:

C6
V2 CTSv
G8
Mustang 5.0
335 i / xi

Any advice?
Old 01-19-2014, 11:18 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you think you have buyers remorse now, go ahead and get the BMW and have it serviced after the warranty.

FWIW - For what I have in my car (including purchase price) I still could not be in a V2.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not the best choice for a drag car... If that is what you got it for then go head and sell her... btw, those same cars that rape you on drag strip get rape on the track... oh, the CTS-V is a beast from a roll! gl
Old 01-19-2014, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah not a dig 1/4 mile car. but i am more than happy with the car and on the street it is a tough match for any of those cars you listed except the c6 and v2. but you can pick up a v1 for a fraction of what any of those cost.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

I am looking for a do-it-all setup.

Doesn't have to be the best at everything...just do everything well.

its just hard to swallow to do H/C and a rear and get beat by a 25k mustang with a tune tires and intake
Old 01-19-2014, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Just take a step back and enjoy the car for now. Also, all of those other cars have their own issues if you research them. The v1 is not a drag car if that's what your looking for, but it is a fun car to drive on the street. Also for what its worth the 07 is the rarest of all the v's at less than 1200 made. Have yet to find a break down of how many of each color were made.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

IMO the V makes a great daily, or bolt on car. Over the past year a lot of vendors have really stepped up and started diving into the first Gen V with aftermarket parts. If you think its bad now imagine 4-5 yrs ago when there was 1 option besides stock for motor mounts. Now we have full bolt in 8.8 kits from at least 2 vendors, 4 places making mounts, shifters out the ****.....etc.

Yes the V is expensive and if you want a 10 second car you will pay more to get there then a lot of other platforms.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:34 AM
Launching!

Why are you comparing the V1 to a mustang or a corvette? Why would you buy a 4000lb. 4 door luxury sedan and complain about losing to a mustang, makes zero sense. There is always gonna be someone faster with more money no matter what you buy

I bought a civic commuter and I'm pissed it doesn't tow as much as my Denali

Last edited by TeamSorad; 01-20-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:38 AM
Staging Lane

So all you modded guys, would you do it all over again? Or invest in a platform with more potential?
Old 01-20-2014, 12:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TeamSorad
Why are you comparing the V1 to a mustang or for corvette? Why would you buy a 4000lb. 4 door luxury sedan and complain about losing to a mustang, makes zero sense. There is always gonna be someone faster with more money no matter what you buy

Thanks for the insight.

There are 3 other 4 door cars on the list the v1 can't seem to compete with...not just vettes and mustangs.
Just looking for some first hand experience from people who have spent the money to mod this car.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:47 AM
Launching!

That was the point, are you really comparing the 400 V1 vs the 556 V2? Like people have said the V1 is what it is. I really doubt the V1 doesn't compare to the BMW, would have to check the specs. What is the price difference?

I would guess most people in the 10year old V1 are in it because that is what they can afford or at least want to afford . Always someone faster with more money
Old 01-20-2014, 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ryda85
So all you modded guys, would you do it all over again? Or invest in a platform with more potential?
I sold mine which was making 500rwhp solely because the next step at the time was a 4k rear if I wanted to use what I had at the track. Now you can get into a better rear cheaper. I definetly miss the car a lot but I was ready to something faster and now I have a fast car and a decent 05 accord as a beater.

I dont regret the mods I did to the V because I didnt go crazy and it was still very practical as my daily driver while I had it.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:44 AM
On The Tree

[/QUOTE]I bought a civic commuter and I'm pissed it doesn't tow as much as my Denali[/QUOTE]

FREAKING AWESOME!!!
Old 01-20-2014, 08:35 AM
TECH Regular

The CTSv is a better performing car than the G8 I'm every way from what I remember from my research before I got mine. The BMW can be nasty with a tune but they are incredibly expensive to mod beyond that.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamSorad
Why are you comparing the V1 to a mustang or a corvette? Why would you buy a 4000lb. 4 door luxury sedan and complain about losing to a mustang, makes zero sense. There is always gonna be someone faster with more money no matter what you buy

^This

Yup. I would. Why? Because it is not a mustang or corvette and everyone and their brother doesn't have one.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Any advice?
Here are my thoughts:

C6 - If you've got the coin and no need for rear seats or storage, go for it. They're awesome cars and respond really well to mods. Plus the aftermarket it huge.

V2 CTSv - Again, if you've got the coin, go for it. They're better in every way to a V1 (with the obvious exception of price).

G8 - No. They don't have much more potential than a V1. Yes, they can be made faster easier, but that's largely due in part to the slush box and people slapping huge stalls in them. Too boring for me, plus they aren't as refined as a V.

Mustang 5.0 - Great cars, respond really well to mods. More expensive to get into one than a V1 though. Plus the interior is just awful. My brother has one with a tune, full exhaust, intake and gobs of suspension stuff done. Sure it's fast, but it's not nearly as comfortable.

335 i / xi - No. They can be made quick with minimal/cheap mods, but there's definitely a ceiling on them at about 400-450whp. Beyond that and it's big money and big repairs. And from about 375-400whp up, you're on borrowed time. Every time you need work done on it, plan on 4 figures. I came from an M3 and the cost is just incomparable.

I've shopped/driven all of these.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

The only thing on your list that beats the V1 is the Vette and Gen II V. I have killed all the other cars you listed with ease... My lil cousin has a new 5.0 and its nice but no tires or miss a gear and its good night from a roll. After the cam went in my V not to much looked in my direction when i had her... The V1 is an excellent road car! On the highway for comfort, gas mileage, and overall what the hell is that thing growling at the gas station appeal... the V1 is it!
Old 01-20-2014, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

Your post is focusing on one thing - motor and hauling that thing as fast as possible in a straight line.

My V1 responds very well to mods:

1. No wheel hop or parade clunk with the CS 8.8
2. Improved cornering/handling with the adjustable KW_V3 coilovers
3. Silky smooth LS9 twin clutch with plenty of grab

I have to replace the fuel filter with a Fuelab 848 that has an integrated check valve but my fuel mod shows twin pumps with much better fuel regulation without the need for a BAP - so that mod is responding very well.

There are E-force threads where the V1 is reaching in excess of ~600whp - those mods are responding very well.

It's not built for the dragstrip - weight and the stick shifting transmission aren't going to give the best times but it's still a lot of fun. It's not built for towing or rock crawling either.

I get devastated in auto-x events but not in my class - about average. I can out maneuver my neighbor's 1000whp twin turbo SRT Challenger as easy as he can crush me in a 1/4 mile. On the roadway at Sebring, I was crushing all the bimmers and GT Mustangs with just an oil cooler mod, H&R springs and Hochkis sways - pocket change.

While we're on the topic of Mustangs...I took bus lengths ahead of my neighbor's tuned up 2014 Mustang GT with a 4cy turbo'd s2k - why? because that car is built for it, the ground up. He didn't seem to have buyer's remorse afterwards - just washed and waxed his baby.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not heavily modified or anything... But since you posted up I'll give you my .02

I seem to love dead platforms. My last car was a Cobalt SS. Now I have a V1. I wouldn't trade the V1 for any of those cars on your list. I have a baby seat to throw in so I'd have to stick with 4 doors. I couldn't find a G8 GXP for a reasonable price, and the V2 is more than I want to pay for. When I can do what I want to the V1 and have a more unique car. I won't ever own another FoMoCo anyways but still, no Stangs for me.

I wouldn't trade my V for anything from Germany. Their fit and finish may be better, but in the last few years they have started slacking a bit it seems like. BMW and MB reliability has been going down a slow slippery slope. When you need work for a MB C55AMG for example... My buddy had one, $7k just for parts for a stock trans... Hell I can have a 1000+HP capable trans for half than in a V. I can also do heads, cam, intake manifold, cold air intake, full exhaust, and a tune for what it costs a BMW for exhaust, cold air intake and a tune installed... Don't even start with trying to do cams on them, or heads and stuff... Unless you wipe your *** with sheets of gold, its tough to justify the cost/benefits.

I'd rather have a 450whp V with a LS7 clutch and a ford 8.8 rear end for $8k for everything. I doubt a BMW with similar investment could come close. Plus GM cars are not bad to work on. Its mostly old technology and big displacement.

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 01-20-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Take it on a road course and you'll be pleasantly surprised how well your car performs.

Edit: I have a problem with leaving windows open and not replying them until a lot later. A lot of replies I didn't see...

Quick Reply: Buyers Remorse?