Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Custom Hurst Shifter Review - 07CTSV \ PISNUOFF \ Brian

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Custom Hurst Shifter Review - 07CTSV \ PISNUOFF \ Brian

1. Initial inspection and Assembly

When i first cut open the tape surrounding the box and opened it up, I was immediately amazed with it. Obviously it is a Hurst shifter, but the modification is done so tasteful, so subtle... that to me, It was unnoticable. I couldn't find what exactly had been modded. This looked much more professional then I was expecting... (as my last shifter had another metal piece clearly welded underneath it).

It came packed with spare bolts (spare for me since I've done this job before), loctite, neoprene looking square spacers, etc.

The way the shifter goes together is you take the base half of the shifter...

and you take a stalk (I was supplied two, one was custom for my previous ****. I believe Brian stated he'll be offering 2 as thats how they come?)...

and you take a neoprene spacer, you put it between the two halves, you put a star washer on a bolt, and you run it from the top-half side, thru, into the base half, with the neoprene between both halves.

===============

2. Installation.

Many of us have done this installation before, but if you haven't... Brian provides an instructional pamphlet along with the shifter with pictures and step by step guide. For the most part, you can do a majority of it with a 10mm. The bottom shifter bolt is a 13mm and an allen key (unsure on size). The install is pretty straightforward and with a lift can take you MAYBE an hour (and even that time assumption is with reading each individual page 3 times, and taking a few breaks to hammer some shots down)

The main thing that will probably take 30 minutes is removal of the stock **** off your shifter. LOL

===============

3. Experience.

I'll be a blatant liar if I was to say this isn't the best shifter I have tried. This removed SOOO much slop, soooo much play... it made the shifts sooo much crisper, so much more precise, that I found myself trying to throw it even further then I had to for the first hour or so with it. It required I re-learn my shifting since i had been so use to the spongy with notchy feel of the other shifters I had. This is so precise, so clean, the throws so short... It'll most likely require you relearn your shifting techniques with how much better of a shifter this is. I honestly was amazed by it. I've been using the stocker for a year, and this other welded up one for another year... and this was SUCH a huge difference... I'm truly sold. Its worth every penny.

===============

4. Extras

I ran into a slight issue that I quickly rectified. I have UMI Motor mounts (Solid), and a blue Revshift trans insert. I found that when I first bolted everything up... 3 of the bolts on the driveshaft flex disc would bang into the middle shifter linkage when I would shift to 4th or 6th gear. I quickly justified this by changing all bolts with same size bolts with shorter heads. Absolutely no issues afterwards. I've had it all set up for about a day now, but this is my initial review. I'm very very pleased with the crispness of it. I'm just downright amazed by it, considering how much the POS shifter had already grown on me... that sitting in this car and shifting now feels like I'm in a different vehicle altogether. Its that good.

I plan on #hursting some feelings real soon with this setup.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

You mind saying what shifter you came from? If not could you pm me what it is? Thanks.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

AWESOME WRITE UP BUD! this made me want one so BAD!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:01 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Onefast V
You mind saying what shifter you came from? If not could you pm me what it is? Thanks.
It sounds like the AZN modified stock shifter.

"(as my last shifter had another metal piece clearly welded underneath it)"

odthetruth - Thanks for the kind words about my work.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, it was. And No problem.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just figured it post up my review as well. Ive had mine for quite a while now and I really like it. The shifts feel very solid. I also have uuc shifter bushings. The only play left is in the linkage to the trans itself.

Here is a video of it:

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 03-18-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the review, awesome write up. I need to get one of these!
Old 04-03-2014, 06:45 AM
Teching In

Newly 'migrated' member here. I installed my Hurst shifter from Brian a couple days ago and I can't believe the difference. The throws are short and crisp. It feels very mechanical (in a good way!) now and I never struggle to find a gear. If you guys are on the fence about getting one of these, it's time to hop over to the land of milk and honey.

Between my new mounts (motor & trans) and this shifter...It feels like I'm driving a totally different car. If you have any issues finding 1st and reverse, the mounts, shifter bushings, and Hurst shifter will improve life dramatically.

You definitely should upgrade the shifter bushings at the same time. My rubber bushings were half way extruded out of the retainer and they had definitely taken a set.

Installation was easy. It took me about 3 hours solo with a set of ramps. You might have to be creative to do this without a helper, but wratcheting wrenches and an impact life easy.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm going to be working on getting a new, heavier shift **** for mine.

the shifts are awesome, but i'd love a little extra momentum on shifts to help push through into the gear. probably going to get a TWM ball ****. they're just under a pound.

otherwise the shifter overall is awesome. i never had the experience of driving it with the stock components, but frankly i'm glad i didn't have to.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody go from a B&M to this shifter? I'm thinking about it.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:27 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Originally Posted by JD03Cobra
Anybody go from a B&M to this shifter? I'm thinking about it.
Yes, at least two and two more are on their way to other people. Hopefully they will chime in with their experiences.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Brian do you have any with the black ball ready to ship?
Old 04-03-2014, 06:26 PM
Teching In

+1 on the B&M...bought my V 3 yrs ago with it installed.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Another proud owner of Brian's custom hurst shifter here. I came from a completely stock shifter so the difference was 100% Night and Day! This is definitely the best thing I've done to the V thus far. The stock shifter had so much play that it felt like every gear was neutral. Brian's shifter took 100% of my slop out and feels so much more crisp. He also sends very detailed page by page instructions with illustrations (big help!). This install took me 2 hours max by myself with a few beer breaks. If anyone is on the fence about this, I would recommend pulling the trigger now. I can't say enough good things about this shifter. Definitely a must have in my book. Thanks Brian for offering such an amazing product at such an awesome price. Customer service is also top notch. Always responded to me within an hour maximum.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Where exactly can I get one of these?
Old 04-27-2014, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

I soooo want one of these!!!!
Old 04-28-2014, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Default New to the forum

Ordered two shifters today from Brian. One for me and one for my father in law. Super happy with what I have seen on here. Was an outside viewer of the other site (which shall not be named) glad this one is different.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:03 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Originally Posted by montegofd3s
Where exactly can I get one of these?
Basically just Paypal $275 to br_1868@hotmail.com

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...007-cts-v.html

Quick Reply: Custom Hurst Shifter Review - 07CTSV \ PISNUOFF \ Brian