Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Wiring/electrical guys - Possible to change DRL lights to fogs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring/electrical guys - Possible to change DRL lights to fogs?

Well, upon a "strong recommendation" from a local police officer the other day (as well as my own preference, to be honest) I'm changing my DRL/signal and side marker bulbs from the 6000k white Cree LED bulbs to some AMBER LED bulbs of equal quality. The thing is, though, that I would still prefer my DRLs to be white. One way I was thinking I could do this is by changing the DRL portion of that connection to the fog light instead of the signal. Is this possible without too much work?
On that note, I'm aware that there are switchback bulbs available for this very purpose (I actually have a set of lesser quality led chipped ones), but they don't seem to be made with the top quality led chips that I'd prefer. I'm just wondering if it would be an easier and better option to switch the drl to the fog light...
Old 02-09-2014, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not get dual color switchback leds?
Old 02-09-2014, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Suppose I would start with a wiring diagram of the system and track it back to where it splits for the drl and signals and change the drl to the fogs?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Onefast V
Why not get dual color switchback leds?
See the OP... ..."On that note, I'm aware that there are switchback bulbs available for this very purpose (I actually have a set of lesser quality led chipped ones), but they don't seem to be made with the top quality led chips that I'd prefer. I'm just wondering if it would be an easier and better option to switch the drl to the fog light..."
Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Suppose I would start with a wiring diagram of the system and track it back to where it splits for the drl and signals and change the drl to the fogs?
Yes, that would be a start. I have ZERO experience with reading wiring diagrams and electrical schematics to be able to make any sence of that though. I was wondering if there was just some cutting and splicing I could do at/near the connector(s), but maybe it's more complicated than that.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by wes8398
See the OP... ..."On that note, I'm aware that there are switchback bulbs available for this very purpose (I actually have a set of lesser quality led chipped ones), but they don't seem to be made with the top quality led chips that I'd prefer. I'm just wondering if it would be an easier and better option to switch the drl to the fog light..."

Yes, that would be a start. I have ZERO experience with reading wiring diagrams and electrical schematics to be able to make any sence of that though. I was wondering if there was just some cutting and splicing I could do at/near the connector(s), but maybe it's more complicated than that.
At the connector, doubtful. Unless there are more than just two wires going to the drl/signal maybe. but....I'm fairly sure there is not. So that option is out. Otherwise you would just move your signal and drl to the fog at the same time.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wes8398
Sorry I skimmed that a little too quick. You can definitely find higher quality ones if you look in the right places.
Example:
http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/tail-...v3-wa-6k1.html

Last edited by Onefast V; 02-10-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
At the connector, doubtful. Unless there are more than just two wires going to the drl/signal maybe. but....I'm fairly sure there is not. So that option is out. Otherwise you would just move your signal and drl to the fog at the same time.
Yah, I was figuring that. I guess the wiring it would take to get some switchbacks working would be a lot easier than trying to move the DRL to the fog (but leave the blinker where it is now).

Originally Posted by Onefast V
Sorry I skimmed that a little too quick. You can definitely find higher quality ones if you look in the right places.
Example:
http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/tail-...v3-wa-6k1.html
Those might be expensive, but I'm not convinced that the high price means they're also high quality. From my (limited) experience/knowledge with LED lighting, six 3 watt LED chips @ 430 (amber) and 600 (white) lumens aren't satisfactory for me. I have bulbs in my signal/drl location right now that utilize the Cree XB-D chips and total 80 watts via 16 LED chips and produce over 1,000 lumens. Ideally i would like the same chips used on a switchback, but I haven't been able to find that yet.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:29 AM
TECH Resident

What about wiring the halos from eBay halo headlights to run as the DRL? I guess that would be equally difficult, eh?

Quick Reply: Wiring/electrical guys - Possible to change DRL lights to fogs?