Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Totaled my V1 and need a little assistance

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Totaled my V1 and need a little assistance

What's up guys. I've got quite a story here so please bear with me lol.

Okay so I totaled my 05 V about 2 years ago and I bought it back from my insurance company. At the time I wasn't sure if I was going to rebuild it, part it out, pull the drivetrain and save it or what so it sat in my driveway for a few months. I missed the car like crazy and ended up deciding to have it rebuilt. I'm mechanically inclined but unfortunately all the damage was body and unibody related so I had to have it professionally done. The shop quoted me about 3 weeks for the project but due to personal problems with the shop owner (lost his home and daughter in hurricane sandy) it ended up taking almost 7 months. When it was finally complete the car was IMMACULATE. I could not believe how perfect it looked...almost brand new.

From there, I went ahead and gathered all the necessary paperwork to bring the car over to the Salvage Inspection department so I could reregister it and get back on the road. After almost a 2 month waiting period I finally had an appointment set. I brought the car in and everything went great up until about 5 minutes before I had to leave. The guys inspecting my car told me that they cannot pass it because there was no receipt for the rear bumper. I know I had one so I took back my folder stacked with receipts and pictures and pulled it out to show them. They said they had seen that receipt but that the shop had purchased one from a junkyard (which I had told him was okay to do) and so they need HIM to provide a receipt and the VIN number of the car it was pulled from in order to prove he didn't steal it. Needless to say I got into an argument with them because it is not my responsibility to prove that someone's shop is legitimate and that my receipt showing I purchased the bumper should be good enough. They told me that unless I could bring back a receipt and a VIN number I am **** out of luck and the car cannot be legally registered in the state of NJ.

After going home and blowing off some steam I took a ride over to the shop to see what he could do for me. Turn's out the shop is out of business and they guy changed his phone number. I'm ******* pissed at this point. I got in touch with the Salvage Inspection guys and they basically told me "Tough ****, buy another bumper." **** THAT! I spent almost 12 grand fixing this car and I'm done throwing money at it. It's a daily driver and I have a C3 taking up my funds....Anyway, they told me I don't need to bring the car in for reinspection, I just need to provide a receipt and VIN.

NOW, this is where I need some help. Is anyone here kind enough to simply write up a receipt for me and say they sold me their bumper? I checked with the MVC and I can buy a used bumper offline AS LONG AS I can provide a legit VIN number for the vehicle (and that vehicle hasn't reported a stolen bumper). If someone can just mail me a signed letter saying they sold me a bumper I would greatly appreciate it. I really don't know what else to do at this point so I'll throw a couple bucks your way for the trouble. Please help me get this thing back on the road guys!
Old 02-15-2014, 04:07 PM
D.K
On The Tree

As long as the receipt doesn't have to come from a shop/junkyard, I can write you a receipt for a rear bumper complete with VIN. Just PM me exactly what you need the receipt to say and I'll get it to you tomorrow or Monday.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

You're the man! I am PMing you now!
Old 02-15-2014, 04:13 PM
D.K
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BigBlock.Condor
You're the man! I am PMing you now!
No problem! Just glad I can help you enjoy your V. I'm not at home right now so I don't have the VIN on me, but I'll definitely get it to you tomorrow.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

No worries bro. They will be closed on Monday for the holiday so whenever it gets here I can just run over to the MVC and show them the "proof" lol. Thank you SO MUCH man, seriously!
Old 02-15-2014, 04:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

kudos to DK for doing that !!!!!!
Old 02-15-2014, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

For real! I cannot explain how happy I am lol. This bullshit has been going on for about 2 years now and I've gone through so much crap trying to get her back on the road. Do you know how painful it is to have to rely on your gf to drive you everywhere even though you have 3 cars!? It sucks! She's an absolute saint for doing it, too. She doesn't ever bitch or give me **** about having 3 cars that aren't road-worthy.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

BBC, I sent D.K. a PM. Hopefully I can help.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good afternoon, my name is Albert Daniel Johnson with the New Jersey state Salvage Inspection department and I have red flagged your case for fraudulent conduct with Penal Code: 187781 and hereby inform you that you are now restricted from filing any vehicle with the New Jersey state Salvage Inspection department until a formal review of your case had been completed!

just kidding haha :-P
Old 02-15-2014, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That was an ******* move....

but legit as f**k!!! Well played!!!
Old 02-15-2014, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

I read that post and was like damn, busted
Old 02-15-2014, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

hahaha, I was just playin... hope I didn't scare him off! considering I live in Texas. lol
Old 02-15-2014, 11:15 PM
TECH Resident

Lol yea hahhaa you sir would of been detective of the year
Old 02-16-2014, 12:50 AM
Staging Lane

If you like I can print one off using my program. we are peason auto in north pole alaska so it will look 100% real. Plus I just totaled mine in a front end collision.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:34 AM
Launching!

funny joke haha, but I would edit/delete this thread when you get it taken care of. You just never know
Old 02-16-2014, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

^^^^^I agree with this message^^^^^
Old 02-16-2014, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

I'm actually doing this through a public computer on public Wifi with a fake e-mail so I was like what the fuckkkk. I almost **** myself lmao. I will definitely be taking your advice once this is taken care of!
Old 02-16-2014, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BigBlock.Condor
What's up guys. I've got quite a story here so please bear with me lol.

Okay so I totaled my 05 V about 2 years ago and I bought it back from my insurance company. At the time I wasn't sure if I was going to rebuild it, part it out, pull the drivetrain and save it or what so it sat in my driveway for a few months. I missed the car like crazy and ended up deciding to have it rebuilt. I'm mechanically inclined but unfortunately all the damage was body and unibody related so I had to have it professionally done. The shop quoted me about 3 weeks for the project but due to personal problems with the shop owner (lost his home and daughter in hurricane sandy) it ended up taking almost 7 months. When it was finally complete the car was IMMACULATE. I could not believe how perfect it looked...almost brand new.

From there, I went ahead and gathered all the necessary paperwork to bring the car over to the Salvage Inspection department so I could reregister it and get back on the road. After almost a 2 month waiting period I finally had an appointment set. I brought the car in and everything went great up until about 5 minutes before I had to leave. The guys inspecting my car told me that they cannot pass it because there was no receipt for the rear bumper. I know I had one so I took back my folder stacked with receipts and pictures and pulled it out to show them. They said they had seen that receipt but that the shop had purchased one from a junkyard (which I had told him was okay to do) and so they need HIM to provide a receipt and the VIN number of the car it was pulled from in order to prove he didn't steal it. Needless to say I got into an argument with them because it is not my responsibility to prove that someone's shop is legitimate and that my receipt showing I purchased the bumper should be good enough. They told me that unless I could bring back a receipt and a VIN number I am **** out of luck and the car cannot be legally registered in the state of NJ.

After going home and blowing off some steam I took a ride over to the shop to see what he could do for me. Turn's out the shop is out of business and they guy changed his phone number. I'm ******* pissed at this point. I got in touch with the Salvage Inspection guys and they basically told me "Tough ****, buy another bumper." **** THAT! I spent almost 12 grand fixing this car and I'm done throwing money at it. It's a daily driver and I have a C3 taking up my funds....Anyway, they told me I don't need to bring the car in for reinspection, I just need to provide a receipt and VIN.

NOW, this is where I need some help. Is anyone here kind enough to simply write up a receipt for me and say they sold me their bumper? I checked with the MVC and I can buy a used bumper offline AS LONG AS I can provide a legit VIN number for the vehicle (and that vehicle hasn't reported a stolen bumper). If someone can just mail me a signed letter saying they sold me a bumper I would greatly appreciate it. I really don't know what else to do at this point so I'll throw a couple bucks your way for the trouble. Please help me get this thing back on the road guys!
And this is why I will never live in New Jersey or the North East. It's a freaking bumper cover, how are you going to steal that anyways without taking the whole car. You DMV takes the cake. Maybe your Gov told them to hassle you because you didn't vote for him or something....
Old 02-16-2014, 08:31 PM
Teching In

I love the country areas of KY. I totalled mine last yr and bought it back and I took the papers with a hand written receipt to the clerk. The sherrif comes out and looks at the vin# and mileage and says thank you. I rebuild alot of cars and its super easy here...
Old 02-17-2014, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

Nj is to salvaged vehicles what CA is to emissions. If I lived in NY or PA this would have been finished the same week I got into the accident lol. I debated getting a PA title for the car then coming back to NJ and getting it retitled here but they STILL require all the bullshit paperwork even if its a car that has a legal title from another state.

A buddy of mine had the same problem with a Mach 1 from NY with a flood title. Needless to say, he spent a lot of time traveling between the 2 states to get it straightened out.

Hopefully this gets taken care of thanks to DK or I'm going to be daily driving a big block corvette in snow and I definitely don't want to do that haha

Quick Reply: Totaled my V1 and need a little assistance