Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Arbor Press or Ball Joint Tool?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Arbor Press or Ball Joint Tool?

Hey guys,

Looking to try to service my own ball joints (upper and lower). There's a 20% off sale going on right now at Harbor Freight, and I'm split between picking up one of those generic C-clamp ball joint tools, or a 6-12 ton Arbor press. Cost isn't an issue, but storage space is. Which do you think will make the job easiest?

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2014, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The press will prove more useful long term. (Although you already have done most of the bushings)
Old 02-15-2014, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Freeze the balljoint, put some heat on the control arm and you might get lucky enough for it to fall right in. We do this with roller bearings in motorcycle engine cases with a lot of success but we have the luxury of using an oven to heat the cases.

The snap-on balljoint press i used to have had different "cups" for different sized balljoints. If this is how the unpictured harbor tool is configured, it might pay to take one of your joints with you to make sure they fit correctly before buying it.

Looking forward to the results of your spindle swap!!
Old 02-15-2014, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy one of snap on's new style ball joint presses if cost isn't an issue. They're 550-600, but it makes everything soooo much easier. I own one, and it's one of the best investments I've ever made. Everything from bushings to u-joints to ball joints, to changing torsion keys out. It does it all. And the adapters snap on the press so you don't need 8 hands to hold it all. Bjp1 is the part #. It's cheaper from the tool truck.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I picked up the HF 20ton press. It's a dream and worth the $149. Pressing out bushings is a breeze.

The press should be able to do balljoints just as easy.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by barrok69
I picked up the HF 20ton press. It's a dream and worth the $149. Pressing out bushings is a breeze.

The press should be able to do balljoints just as easy.
This is what I have as well. If you are looking at their 12 ton, i would just get the 20, it is only a hair bigger. they also have some cool accessories for it if you get into fabrication more

http://www.swagoffroad.com/Metal-Fab...ools-_c_7.html

Quick Reply: Arbor Press or Ball Joint Tool?