Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Exhaust is done on v, not loud enough

Old 02-16-2014, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust is done on v, not loud enough

Done my exhaust and sounds clean, but sounds muffled still. Running kooks longtubes, gutted cats and gutted resonator no mufflers. Sound good up around 3500-4k, but quiet other then that. Watched every video in the exhaust example thread and its hard to tell. Would the gutted stock resonator still be muffling it? Cause its sounds muffled still even idling. Would an xpipe in its place or possibly just straights period be louder? I dnt want obnoxious loud or anything but its pretty quiet right now unless u have the hammer down. Any ideas?
Old 02-16-2014, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace the resonator with a Magnaflow x-pipe and it will open that bitch up. I personally like the sound of Spintech mufflers, but would be too loud to DD for me.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

Guess my confusion is in the resonator. Theirs nothing inside it but it sounds like I have cats and mufflers still. Like a stock mustang is about the comparable sound? I was gonna do xpipe only but not seeing how it'll be much different then the gutted resonator? Granted its huge and maybe allowing the sound to dampen in its volume size, before exiting the pipes. Not really sure but its not how I imagined lol. I want a good note but not a glass pack sound under wot, I like a bit of cackle cruising just not a pissed off chevy truck on glass packs sound when hard wot.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:22 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The resonator is an X-pipe. It's perforated and has insulation wrapped around it, but it's still just a 2.5" X-pipe in a clamshell.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DMM
The resonator is an X-pipe. It's perforated and has insulation wrapped around it, but it's still just a 2.5" X-pipe in a clamshell.
This.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

My guess is even though the res is gutted now its acting like a suitcase and creating little back pressure and turbulence.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

It really won't get loud in the driver's seat unless the motor is spinning pretty high (which is what you have) since the pipes direct all the sound out the back of the car. If you want it loud in the driver's seat you need cutouts then the sound will be underneath you.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

That was my assumption of the resonator. However I have no cackle what so ever, literally sounds stock idling, maybe a tad bit louder. This is straight pipes, cam and headers.
I'm running Advanced induction 226cc ported heads BTR valve springs with titanium retainers, Lunati trend hardened one piece pushrods, lunati custom grind cam (227/236 114) LS7 lifters and tray. Kooks headers to stock exhaust straight thru gutted cats gutted resonator no mufflers. Even outside with someone else driving its not very loud.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Teching In

^I'm failing to observe the problem here..I guess if you want nascar loud run open headers and your heated seats will have a vibration function
Old 02-16-2014, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Not going for that loud. Just curious how if I have basically the same setup minus I'm running a gutted resonator, how its that big of a difference. Whether I need to run a true xpipe, or an hpipe etc to get a bit of an exhaust note. Dnt get into the open cutout stuff, just like a good rumble. Something with a lil cackle/raspiness, guess ud say a mustang type sound.

This was the sound I was going for. Believe he's a member on here actually. Anyways it says custom xpipe, no cats to slp loudmouth mufflers. I can get the mufflers for 140shipped. What's the benefit/purpose of the xpipe? Or could I just place the mufflers where the resonator is? Not sure what connecting via x or h pipe accomplishes?

Last edited by 05maroonv; 02-16-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What you need is a big overlap cam.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm thinking you may need a quieter exhaust... sounds like your hearing may be going as it is...

Have you heard the car from the outside? Modern cars are designed to be so quiet inside that it muffles a lot.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's louder than my G8 I have straight pipes in the rear with the stock mid muffler and I think my car is pretty loud.

Originally Posted by justjachimiec
^I'm failing to observe the problem here..I guess if you want nascar loud run open headers and your heated seats will have a vibration function
Cliff notes - get cutouts

Last edited by RedHotG8; 02-16-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:22 AM
Staging Lane

Yes I've ha a friend drive it so I could see if it was just directing the sound out back. U can tell its not stock from outside, but it isn't loud by no means. I guess really its hard to describe what ur going after as far as sound. I've driving m6 camaros that wa WAY to loud for my liking that just had long tubes, 3" straight exhaust into a flow master muffler before leaving. I just want something a bit louder then it is currently with a little more raspiness as it currently has none at all. Figured I'd ask different options before just doing them as u guys may have already done it.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:38 AM
TECH Resident

dude, you have two things making your car quiet. first is the resonator. it's still doing its thing, even though it's "gutted" (and not sure exactly how you did that).

secondly, stock cammed cars are just gona be quiet. you can do a cheap, cam only swap with the gm ASA cam. your car will be loud.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:58 AM
Teching In

^you're not paying attention, he has quite a bit of work done

I'm running Advanced induction 226cc ported heads BTR valve springs with titanium retainers, Lunati trend hardened one piece pushrods, lunati custom grind cam (227/236 114) LS7 lifters and tray. Kooks headers to stock exhaust straight thru gutted cats gutted resonator no mufflers. Even outside with someone else driving its not very loud.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
It's louder than my G8 I have straight pipes in the rear with the stock mid muffler and I think my car is pretty loud.

Cliff notes - get cutouts
^^^ what he said. I see V's at car shows and they have cutouts and it shakes the entire parking lot when they crank up. Saw a guy at cars and coffee here walking around with a cup of coffee, walked behind a V and dude started car - well coffee went flying!

I know I'm preaching to the choir, bear with me...remember too that Elec cutouts can be 'tuned' to the sound you like, I crack mine about a quarter open and can really hear my baby cam, makes it sound bigger. Oh, and a good thing about cutouts is being able to shut them down when law enforcement is pulling up near me.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

@justjachimiec, I missed that. Yeah, then it's these things in this order:

1. Replace resonator with true X pipe.
2. Hearing check (semi-serious).
3. Cut-outs. And screw e-cutouts, he can just go old school since he seems to want it loud all the time.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RJDio
^^^ what he said. I see V's at car shows and they have cutouts and it shakes the entire parking lot when they crank up. Saw a guy at cars and coffee here walking around with a cup of coffee, walked behind a V and dude started car - well coffee went flying!

I know I'm preaching to the choir, bear with me...remember too that Elec cutouts can be 'tuned' to the sound you like, I crack mine about a quarter open and can really hear my baby cam, makes it sound bigger. Oh, and a good thing about cutouts is being able to shut them down when law enforcement is pulling up near me.
I've seen the same thing, cutouts do make the exhaust louder since they dump out right after the headers. Plus that's a good point about keeping the LEO's from hearing it and hassling you about loud exhaust.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

Went to the exhaust shop today. Got all new parts ordered, should hopefully get it all in and on this weekend. Get it sounding how I want again then its time for more go fast parts....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust is done on v, not loud enough