Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

05 V wont start after radiator install

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 V wont start after radiator install

So I swapped the stock radiator out for a new Alradco. When I finished I started the car no problems took it for a test drive no problems. I let it run for about 20 minutes and shut it off and went in the house. Came out to start it for work and everything was normal turned the key to ON and the dash lit up but as soon as I turned it to the start position everything went dead. I thought maybe corosion on the battery terminal but nothing that I could see. The interior lights still work as well as the door buzzer but the dash is dead. The only thing I saw was it looked like the check engine light is was sort of lit up. Didn't have time to look at it yet but besides fuses or relays where else should I start? The Alradco is wider than the stock radiator and I noticed when I put it in it was sitting very close to the wire loom that goes next to the ABS module. What is that loom for? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

did you make sure to tighten the batt cable back down all the way? if it has room to wiggle, it will do what you just described. had a 240 w/ rb25 swap that did that and had me stumped for a few minutes.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

i have a similar issue, did u ever get this fixed?
Old 03-08-2014, 06:46 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe you mixed the two terminal fan connector on the passenger side of the shroud with another one outside of the underhood fuse box and blew a fuse. People have made this mistake before since the two connectors are exactly the same and the wire gauge is similar. If mixed this creates a direct short to ground and blows a fuse.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Old 03-13-2014, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Actually I did get it fixed. Turns out the battery shorted out. I've had a lot of cars, trucks, motorcycles ETC but never had it happen to me. When I went out there to check it out the thing was so dead that the door wouldn't even unlock with the remote. So I manually unlocked it and hooked up a battery charger. When I hooked it up and turned on the key everything went on like normal but the battery was too drained to start it. I charged it over night came out and it still just clicked. Took off the battery and it instantly went dead. Called a couple of buddies and they said they have had a battery short out before so I bought a new one and no problems since. So far I havent had any other problems( knock on wood). The read out on the alternator is 14.2volts so I know its charging fine. Guess it was just weird timing. I thought for sure the new radiator rubbed through the loom and shorted something but thankfully it was something minor for once. Well still cost a $100 bucks lol.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better than having a jacked up fuse box or ECU I guess.

Quick Reply: 05 V wont start after radiator install