Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

First time down the strip

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time down the strip

Sunday I'm hitting up Raceway Park for Street Wars and I'm going to be running my V1. She's all stock except a magnaflow catback and I'm running some crappy conti's so I'm not expecting great times but I'm hoping for 13.5-14.0.

Aside from the obvious "don't launch it" rule, what else should I take note of? About where in the rpm range do we start losing power (I was planning on shifting at 6k)?

I'll post some slips Sunday night and maybe some videos if I can get someone to film for me.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't shift at 6k, keep going but don't hit the limiter. HP should be pretty flat up in those rpms and you need to be concerned with being too low in the rpms when you hit the next gear.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

You should be able to hit 13.3 no problem.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most don't break 13.3 but good luck. Practice the 2-3 shift as that one can give problems at high rpm's if you don't time it just right with your clutch foot. I only got to make 2 runs the one time I went so I can't give any good launch advice and every track and tire combo works different. Have fun hopefully it isn't too busy there.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not just launching that's dangerous. A hard shift to 2nd has been known to break the rears too.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't worry about breaking the rear end. If it hops let off. It's almost that simple. But a good launch takes a good left foot and the right clutch slip. Just dumping it 1. Doesn't make you fast and 2. Had a high chance of breaking a shaft or the rear. I like to slip the shat out of my monster Stg 3 that I launch at 4 ish k rpm then try to slip it there for the first 60 ft or when ever the tires I'm running hook good. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2014, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigBlock.Condor
Sunday I'm hitting up Raceway Park for Street Wars and I'm going to be running my V1. She's all stock except a magnaflow catback and I'm running some crappy conti's so I'm not expecting great times but I'm hoping for 13.5-14.0.

Aside from the obvious "don't launch it" rule, what else should I take note of? About where in the rpm range do we start losing power (I was planning on shifting at 6k)?

I'll post some slips Sunday night and maybe some videos if I can get someone to film for me.
Where are you located? I was thinking about going to E-town to run this sunday as well. I was trying to get a solid time for test and tune. E-town normally has multiple events and you sit there in the pits waiting forEVER until you get to run.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CTSV_510
Don't shift at 6k, keep going but don't hit the limiter. HP should be pretty flat up in those rpms and you need to be concerned with being too low in the rpms when you hit the next gear.
So like 6400? Lol

Originally Posted by serik21
You should be able to hit 13.3 no problem.
I'd love a 13.3 but I don't have any track experience and I can't break my daily so I'll be taking it easy this time

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Don't worry about breaking the rear end. If it hops let off. It's almost that simple. But a good launch takes a good left foot and the right clutch slip. Just dumping it 1. Doesn't make you fast and 2. Had a high chance of breaking a shaft or the rear. I like to slip the shat out of my monster Stg 3 that I launch at 4 ish k rpm then try to slip it there for the first 60 ft or when ever the tires I'm running hook good. Good luck!
Yea I always slip a little on my launch. I'm not new to racing, just the track

Originally Posted by odthetruth

Where are you located? I was thinking about going to E-town to run this sunday as well. I was trying to get a solid time for test and tune. E-town normally has multiple events and you sit there in the pits waiting forEVER until you get to run.
Central, NJ...Woodbridge area. I've heard etown sucks at getting you a bunch of runs so I plan on going to atco this season but I do wanna run at street wars. It's the first event I went to when I got into cars so its only fitting I get my first pass done there
Old 03-07-2014, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

It definitely does suck for getting multiple passes. Last two times I been there, I showed up around 2pm and only got 2 passes.

Haven't been to atco... its just a long ****** drive for me coming from nyc. Lol
Old 03-07-2014, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

My buddy with a 9sec c3 and I are renting atco sometime this summer when my racecar is ready. You're welcomed to come down for that whenever it is
Old 03-08-2014, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

My fastest time was a 13.8 the first time I went out of 3 passes. That's with longtubes, catback no cats n a CAI. But I'm untuned and condensation was settling on the track so I couldn't get my car to hook to save my life. Didn't feel so bad cuz there were a few modded G8s that day runnin low 14s. Good luck and have fun but like the others have said here, be wary of wheel hop. Use your best judgement cuz a quick time isn't worth your rear
Old 03-08-2014, 03:47 PM
Launching!

Have any of you went to Island in N.J? We usually go down 2-3 times a yr. I think he will run 13.6-13.8.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

My buddy with a 9sec c3 and I are renting atco sometime this summer when my racecar is ready. You're welcomed to come down for that whenever it is
May have to take you up on that offer. Not gonna be able to make it tomorrow. Misfiring code and oxygen sensor issue again for some reason.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:10 AM
Staging Lane

Keep me in the loop as well!
Old 03-10-2014, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Still patiently waiting ...
Old 03-10-2014, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by odthetruth

May have to take you up on that offer. Not gonna be able to make it tomorrow. Misfiring code and oxygen sensor issue again for some reason.
Sucks man. I was keeping an eye out for other V's but I was the only one racing. Some kid came up and told me he had an 05 but I didn't see it anywhere.

Originally Posted by BigTuna819

Keep me in the loop as well!
I'll probably post up on here when the time comes.

Originally Posted by johnny2343
Still patiently waiting ...
Sorry about that. I assed out when I got home and I had to take my gf to the ER tonight.

Anyway, first pass I ran 14.0 leaving at idle. I actually finished the pass banging off the rev limiter in 3rd because I thought I had already passed the finish line lmao. My 2nd pass I ran 13.6 @ 105mph leaving at idle and granny shifting 2nd. The emergency crews got called away from the track after that and we were on a crazy long delay so I left early and didn't make a 3rd pass. A friend of mine has a video so I'll see if she can send it over. When I get a chance I'll post up the time slips as well.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

What was your mph?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mild83
What was your mph?
105. Did ya quit reading half way down? First run was basically a waste, and 3rd didn't happen.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tracks always seem to have issues like that when you're hoping to make a few runs to get used to the car.

Yeah I've let off early a couple times because I passed the time display near the end of the track not realizing that the finish line was another 100ft up...
Old 03-11-2014, 05:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mild83
What was your mph?
105mph

Originally Posted by MN_V
Tracks always seem to Phave issues like that when you're hoping to make a few runs to get used to the car.

Yeah I've let off early a couple times because I passed the time display near the end of the track not realizing that the finish line was another 100ft up...
Yea exactly lol. I'm happy with my 13.6 though. I know there's definitely room for improvement but for my first time out, it's not bad

Quick Reply: First time down the strip