Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

8.8 question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok so I've been searching the interwebs for an hour on Google magic.

I have a possible solution for my future diff build. A buddy has an 8.8 sitting around and he will give it to me for free, gratis, nothing, nada, zip...

Problem... Its a solid axle 8.8... Now before I go to bed dreaming about the destruction I want to commit with a sawzall... Is it even possible to chop the axle tubes and make this thing into an independent rear to use in a CS kit? I want to believe so bad that I can just chop the axle tubes and make it happen, I mean, FREE CAR PARTS! Who wouldn't be smiling a bit. Plus I get to make sparks and loud noises with metal things.

Lol... All kidding aside, I really can get this thing for free and I really am wondering if I can hack this thing up and use it. Its out of an old Fox body. I'm pretty sure I might be wasting my time thinking about it. I figure the solid axle will have no mounting provisions on the front (drive shaft side) of the housing so its probably worthless to me in its current state. But I was also thinking if it won't work I'll pick it up anyways and swap someone with an IRS 8.8. But I figured I'd ask.

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 03-11-2014 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Side note... Most of the stick axle pictures I'm seeing online have casting ears or whatever at the front where the yoke comes in... I'm wondering if its enough to punch some holes in there and put on the CS mounting hardware.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Nope. Not worth it and not do able. Why would you try? You can get FE (IRS) housing out of a junk yard for 50$ and maybe even the alum ones too if ya find one. But they are usually a little more. But the solid and irs housings are wayyyyyyy different. Now if ya wanna take that sawzall and do a solid axel convert have at it
Old 03-11-2014, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lol no solid conversion here. In going to beat on the car at the big road courses here in California. In going to go grab it anyways in the hopes that someone wants to swap. I'm not doing the swap for a while so I got some time.

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 03-11-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

You should hit the 03-04 cobra forums and try to find someone to trade with you.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-81/
Old 03-11-2014, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

if its a 31 spline unit then the internals are useable.. youll just need an irs case,cobra pinion flange and a irs case.

you can pull the internals and sell the solid housing and axles...and put that money towards the irs case. biggest factor being is the free rear 31 spline. if its not then nothing is usable
Old 03-11-2014, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

except the gears themselves that is.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its got like stock 3.23 or something gears which I would switch anyways. And I think its an open diff anyways. So I'd have to put a lsd in it
Old 03-11-2014, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Its got like stock 3.23 or something gears which I would switch anyways. And I think its an open diff anyways. So I'd have to put a lsd in it
if its open and more than likely 28 spline i wouldnt waste my time with any of it.. sucks but is what it is
Old 03-11-2014, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle

if its open and more than likely 28 spline i wouldnt waste my time with any of it.. sucks but is what it is
I'm gonna scoop it up and try and get $100 for the whole thing or see if someone wants to swap for it... It's brake to brake so its gotta be worth at least $100 lolol... That way I can take the cash and buy an IRS iron case.

Lol I'm just trying to be a baller on a budget lol. And try and keep the old lady out of my hair as much as possible.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm gonna scoop it up and try and get $100 for the whole thing or see if someone wants to swap for it... It's brake to brake so its gotta be worth at least $100 lolol... That way I can take the cash and buy an IRS iron case.

Lol I'm just trying to be a baller on a budget lol. And try and keep the old lady out of my hair as much as possible.
brother im always like that.. wheelin and dealin. i can never see spending crazy money on something that if i take a little time i can build for a faction of the cost and know exactly what i got and how its set up.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I will double check as I have both in my garage.............
Old 03-13-2014, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 54inches
Both of what?
Old 03-13-2014, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both of what?
I'd assume he means that he has both an IRS 8.8" and solid axle 8.8" in his garage
Old 03-13-2014, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Andringa

I'd assume he means that he has both an IRS 8.8" and solid axle 8.8" in his garage
That's what I figured. I still haven't gone to pick it up. I was doing some more research on it. It seems that the mustangs have the same gussets or whatever cast into the front of the diff by the yoke. I'm pretty sure I could make it work. The only issue I can't get my head around is holding the axles and inner CVs in place. I mean its free so if I can find someone to swap with I may just give it a go. Got nothing to lose really except a sawzall blade and a grinding wheel.

Edit... I'm not sure if this will come up I found it while browsing on my phone earlier. But it has the holes and cast gussets around the yoke. Not sure if this is typical or if its likely the one I have will be the same or not. I just requested a pick from my buddy who has it. I'll post it up when I get a look.

http://93coupe.com/wp-content/galler...ang-rear-8.jpg

Another... I can for the life of me remember what the hell was mounted there. Its been 10 years since I've worked on any mustangs so I guess my slipping memory is failing

http://93coupe.com/wp-content/galler...ang-rear-6.jpg

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 03-13-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Andringa
Yep.

They are similar, but inless you find some kind of large 3" axle seal and do something about the front mount; they are different.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep.

They are similar, but inless you find some kind of large 3" axle seal and do something about the front mount; they are different.
I figured. Couldn't be that easy. I'll just see if someone wants to trade it for an IRS 8.8. There are a lot of SVTs that run around down here. I'm sure one in the next year or so will want to swap. Or sell it for $100, its a full brake to brake setup so someone else may want to put it under a stang as a replacement. I won't be doing my 8.8 until late next year anyways.

Quick Reply: 8.8 question...