Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Finally put on the F14's

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 09:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I know that I'm being a jerk about this, but hearing the old "try the HPS" thing ranks up there with recommending Royal Purple oils. Not only is it unhelpful to the recipient (assuming they do the right thing and ignore it), it immediately identifies the recommender as someone who has no useful perspective on car products. Fortunately, for the most part it's simply a rite of passage--most people (including myself) seem to run into/try those products when they first venture outside of the safe confines of the OEM / Mobil 1 environment. It's a painful experience... I basically ruined two sets of wheels with HP+ dust, and spent countless hours trying to slow the rate of degradation.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 03-15-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
I know that I'm being a jerk about this, but hearing the old "try the HPS" thing ranks up there with recommending Royal Purple oils. Not only is it unhelpful to the recipient (assuming they do the right thing and ignore it), it immediately identifies the recommender as someone who has no useful perspective on car products. Fortunately, for the most part it's simply a rite of passage--most people (including myself) seem to run into/try those products when they first venture outside of the safe confines of the OEM / Mobil 1 environment. It's a painful experience... I basically ruined two sets of wheels with HP+ dust, and spent countless hours trying to slow the rate of degradation.
You are not being a jerk - I will not use Hawk products ever again. I used their stuff on previous cars and it did not work out - totally sucked! I mean on every level it sucked!
Old 03-17-2014, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that I'm being a jerk about this, but hearing the old "try the HPS" thing ranks up there with recommending Royal Purple oils. Not only is it unhelpful to the recipient (assuming they do the right thing and ignore it), it immediately identifies the recommender as someone who has no useful perspective on car products.
Ok, I was going to let the first comment go as you seem to be a somewhat knowledge person on the forum and bring value but then you doubled down. Look, I've run Hawk HP+ & HPS pads on countless fully prepped nationally competitive autox cars for years and years and have won multiple local and regional championships, SCCA National Tours, etc, daily drove HPSs on my M3, Evo, RX8, Formula, STi, etc, but I don't know what I'm talking about, got it...

Each pad compound has an intended use. The HP+ is NOT a street pad and clearly you had a bad experience because you used it in the wrong application. It even says so on their literature. I did a quick search and don't see where you have ever even used the HPS pad, just the HP+. If you truly were offering a helpful perspective to the community here regarding brake pads, you would state that you made a mistake for trying to use a race pad with your street wheels and warn against that.

Any person who really races knows that you use different pads for the street vs. racing. On top of that you should also have dedicated wheels for the track that you don't care about getting brake dust on. Since you are not a racer and only want to attend the occasional autox or track days, I only mentioned the HPS since it does not dust like the HP+, is an improvement over the OEM pad or anything the typical parts store sells, and is relatively easy to obtain. A vast majority of the members here don't race their Vs and use them strictly for street use. If that's the case, the HPS is just fine. If you have any data or tech to prove me wrong, bring it.

Also, I only built this car in my garage but I'm still in the early phases of my car experience <rolls eyes>

Sorry to go off topic to the OP.

Last edited by McCall; 03-17-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just have two things to add.
1) I think a 245/40/19 and a 35 series rear 19 is a pretty tall tire. but to each his own
2) I have run Hawk pads on track also, and i have been in a few cars that have them on track and they work just well. Each pad has a use and if you go outside of that then thats on you. I destroyed a set of racing brake pads on track because i abused them outside of their limits.

also if you are getting outside the bounds of a street pad with street driving then you should start finding closed places or tracks to drive like that.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That's a badass little roadster but it doesn't change the fact that HPS pads are **** and also dust like hell.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:48 AM
Teching In

Monty the car looks great!
Old 03-18-2014, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Race Bannon
Monty the car looks great!
Thank you! Thanks again for letting me use that Eastwood roller, definitely helped out with this.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:03 PM
TECH Regular

On that particular car, the wheels are 19x9" and 19x10" (the only option offered), with 245/35-19 tires front and 275/30-19 tires rear (one size smaller than normal). That's why the owner was able to set the ride height so low.

While I like his ride height and stance, I don't like the fender gap in front of and behind each wheel. Plus, he probably can't get super aggressive with the car without wrecking a fender.

Can you explain why you think there is a clearance issue with the fenders? I think they look perfect -- absolutely perfect! I like them so much that I am ordering a set.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by philistine
Can you explain why you think there is a clearance issue with the fenders? I think they look perfect -- absolutely perfect! I like them so much that I am ordering a set.
I would wait until you see what I'm doing with the 20x10 and 20x12" Forgestar F14s, but okay. What I'm worried about is the potential to mash a tire into the fender if you hit a big bump while turning. This isn't an issue particular to the Forgestar F14--it happened on my stock wheels as well.

If I were you, and I was buying a set of these wheels in piano black, I would pick up 24
McGard 65357BK spline drives McGard 65357BK spline drives
with two of their
65300 13/16" aluminum keys 65300 13/16" aluminum keys
(keep one in the car). They match the wheels extremely well, and the two-piece free rotating design prevents marring of the wheels as you torque them down. The black finish is almost indestructible--I've accidentally stepped on these laying on asphalt and they weren't even scratched.

Another thing that you might want to consider is getting two pairs of 3/16" spacers for the front wheels from MightyMouse. Using the spacers will require those ARP 100-7708 wheel studs, but I feel that the car looks better with them (I've always felt that the CTS-V has a bit of an underbite). Using them may preclude you from going as low as that guy did, however.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

I would wait until you see what I'm doing with the 20x10 and 20x12" Forgestar F14s, but okay. What I'm worried about is the potential to mash a tire into the fender if you hit a big bump while turning. This isn't an issue particular to the Forgestar F14--it happened on my stock wheels as well.

If I were you, and I was buying a set of these wheels in piano black, I would pick up 24 McGard 65357BK spline drives with two of their 65300 13/16" aluminum keys (keep one in the car). They match the wheels extremely well, and the two-piece free rotating design prevents marring of the wheels as you torque them down. The black finish is almost indestructible--I've accidentally stepped on these laying on asphalt and they weren't even scratched.

Another thing that you might want to consider is getting two pairs of 3/16" spacers for the front wheels from MightyMouse. Using the spacers will require those ARP 100-7708 wheel studs, but I feel that the car looks better with them (I've always felt that the CTS-V has a bit of an underbite). Using them may preclude you from going as low as that guy did, however.
Yep, gloss black for me - ordering them tonight! IDK about how 20" wheels would fit in with eh...eh, hmm, hmmmmmmm,....my goals! The pics show me what I want! Thanks for responding.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Yep, gloss black for me - ordering them tonight! IDK about how 20" wheels would fit in with eh...eh, hmm, hmmmmmmm,....my goals! The pics show me what I want! Thanks for responding.
Well, they also sell 19" versions. I'm not totally set on the diameter yet, but I am set on running 10" and 12" wide wheels.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Does forgestar give the option if an 18 for our pattern? I know it's a group buy most of the time but I'd like to keep 18s because more track tires are available in 18s. That is going to be the one thing that stops me from getting the F14 right away. I'll get a set of TDs first then F14s in or 20.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Does forgestar give the option if an 18 for our pattern? I know it's a group buy most of the time but I'd like to keep 18s because more track tires are available in 18s. That is going to be the one thing that stops me from getting the F14 right away. I'll get a set of TDs first then F14s in or 20.
No they won't do 18's. That's why I ended up with TD wheels too.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

OEM wheels are good on a track too... If for no other reason than they are really tough. I suppose I could dress up the ok girl with some F14s but that won't be fore a while anyways
Old 03-20-2014, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
OEM wheels are good on a track too... If for no other reason than they are really tough. I suppose I could dress up the ok girl with some F14s but that won't be fore a while anyways
Well I wanted dress up and to leave the snow tires on the stock ones. I didn't want the 19's because if sidewall height on PA roads. Wasn't concerned with track use at all. If anyone ever sees my car on any track, please call the cops, because it has been stolen.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Does anybody have a direct head on shot and a direct rear view shot ? I feel like these 19" forgestars are "kicked out" too far and don't look right. I'd want something that is in the middle of fuzzy's spec'd F14's and the stock wheel face location.

I've been trying to find some off the shelf wheels in 5lug that would work but all require spacers of some sort without just going fully custom, which I'm not in the market for at this time.

I love the style of the F14. I think they are probably one of the best looking aftermarket wheels for our cars. Just needs a better offset choice.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

where are you buying a set from?
Old 03-20-2014, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
where are you buying a set from?
I purchased a set from Presence Distribution - ships in ~2wks.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Glad you like them--have you taken a shot of your car from the back? The wider tires really give the V a muscular stance.

He has a little bit of a reverse rake on his car. The front wheel gap is larger than the rear wheel gap.

Yes, they created special raised center caps. If you don't like them, you can still choose the standard flat center caps and cut your rear axle stubs down by 2.5 threads.

I'm jealous of the black centercaps, they sent me the chrome ones with my Gunmetal rims. They'll sell the black ones for $60, but it's kind of steep. I'll probably do it someday.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Teching In

My F14's should be here next week. Can't wait!

Quick Reply: Finally put on the F14's